New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Ano ba symptoms na pasira na starter?

Last saturday kasi, I couldn't start my car (97 Accord VTi-S, AT). Ni walang redondo, just a click. I thought na na-activate yung starter kill ng Clifford alarm, so I disconnected the batteries for 2 hours. Nasa "P" din yung AT. Pero when I reconnected it, ayaw pa rin mag-start, just a click. I checked the fuses (starter and ignition), OK naman. I put the alarm on valet mode, disconnected the battery, then reconnected again, pero ayaw pa rin.

So I called an auto electrician, yung may alam sa mga alarms. He totally disconnected the alarm, tapos pag-pihit nya, on the 2nd try, start agad. Sabi nya starter daw, baka upod na carbon brush or marumi na contact. Eh singil nya sa labor, 1k (excluding parts), asap pa daw palitan.

Pero, di ako convinced, kasi, I never had problems starting the car before. Also, nagloloko na talaga yung Clifford, ilang beses (4x) na ngang pinatay nya yung electrical connections (as in patay), despite the battery being connected, when I started the engine. Each time, I had to disconnect/ reconnect. Perwisyo talaga, kaya I had the alarm disconnected na.

So what do you think, starter or alarm?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    change alarm then if symptoms persist, starter

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Try changing the relay for the ignition kill first. Separate component naman iyon from the alarm ECU.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    check your battery if it has the right voltage.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Try changing the relay for the ignition kill first. Separate component naman iyon from the alarm ECU.
    Na-check din ng auto-electrician yung relay, ok naman daw. I dont want to spend money repairing the starter eh I never had problems before with it. Duda ko kasi, gusto lang rumaket nung mekaniko

And yes, my battery is of the right voltage

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    afaik ang isa sa symptoms ng starter na merun problem is that you can hear the click pero hindi magreredondo ang starter...at this case the culprit is the solenoid contacts or the brush of the starter.

since more than 8 years old na oto mo, the brush or the contacts sa solenoid might need some replacement na (assuming it haven't been replaced earlier). I have a 60% gut feel that it was your starter and not the alarm or the battery causing the problem.

my 2 cents.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    palagay ko starter din kasi kung patay na ignition mo dapat kahit click wala yan

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Alisin mo na lang muna yung starter kill. Pull out the relay and restore the wiring to OEM (rekta). Para lang macheck kung babalik ang problem.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    i agree with wildthing ... baka brush o kaya yung contacts na sa solenoid ang problema

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    afaik ang isa sa symptoms ng starter na merun problem is that you can hear the click pero hindi magreredondo ang starter...at this case the culprit is the solenoid contacts or the brush of the starter.

since more than 8 years old na oto mo, the brush or the contacts sa solenoid might need some replacement na (assuming it haven't been replaced earlier). I have a 60% gut feel that it was your starter and not the alarm or the battery causing the problem.

my 2 cents.
    Just had my starter disassembled. According to the mechanic, makapal pa yung carbon brush and yung armature, so chineck nya yung solenoid. Yun daw ang problema. Akala ko brush lang, eh 60 petot lang yun.

Problem was, wala kaming makitang brand new or surplus for my Accord (sa may Commonwealth Ave ako nagpagawa). Di kasi pwede yung sa Civic. So binalik na lang nya ulit, niliha na lang yung mga contacts.

Just spent P350 (labor) and 4 hours of my time for nothing. Hirap pala magbaba at magbaklas ng starter. Anybody have an idea kung magkano starter solenoid for the Accord? I got quotes kasi ranging from 950 - 1450 (kung may stock sana daw sila).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Starter or Alarm??