New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    I just passed by Blade Greenhills yesterday. They had an offer of 3 models of their car alarms. If you trade-in your current car alarm, they'll give you any of the 3 alarm models for only P500, including installation! Its kinda worth-it if your alarm is already busted and all.

The alarms look like the ones sa virtual banawe natin costing around P1600.

Unlike used cellphones which can be resold easily, I don't think there is a market for old car alarms, which make me think that they already have a profit with their P500 price, and are only using the swap thing to attract people who already have existing alarms (kasi nga naman you cant sell to them in the first place if they already have an alarm).

It makes me wonder how much do these alarms really cost in the first place. If you think about it, the transistors and resistors which they are made of probably doesnt cost much. Even alexan has a car alarm assembly kit...

2. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    These might be surplus (read: old model) alarms from third-party or contract manufacturers which have been written off already and given the go signal for disposal.

I used to work for a third-party manufacturer which produced, among other things, a car alarm system. BOM cost alone is nowhere below $15 (including moulded parts and packaging), add to that overhead, indirect cost, mark-up, distribution cost, etc.; there's no way I could think of that it can be sold profitably at P500 retail.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by corbon44 View Post
    These might be surplus (read: old model) alarms from third-party or contract manufacturers which have been written off already and given the go signal for disposal.

I used to work for a third-party manufacturer which produced, among other things, a car alarm system. BOM cost alone is nowhere below $15 (including moulded parts and packaging), add to that overhead, indirect cost, mark-up, distribution cost, etc.; there's no way I could think of that it can be sold profitably at P500 retail.
    Yeah, it might be. Its no way probably older than my current 10 year old alarm in my car though... my alarm still works though, kaya Im not getting into their promo.

Could this be "dumping" kaya?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    medyo suspicious yung promo nila

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Dumping? Probably, but it isn't unlikely that the manufacturer is also here in RP.

Suspicious/Illegal or Questionable? Unlikely. These units are not necessarily of lower quality, and not necessarily obsolete technology, simply obsolete in the market they were originally intended for. It may be more cost-effective for the original name-brand customer to write these off (the cost of which they have most likely considered from the start and factored in to their pricing) than have them shipped with logistics costs incurred and end up as obsolete inventory in their warehouses.

This may actually be a good deal.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by corbon44 View Post
    Dumping? Probably, but it isn't unlikely that the manufacturer is also here in RP.

Suspicious/Illegal or Questionable? Unlikely. These units are not necessarily of lower quality, and not necessarily obsolete technology, simply obsolete in the market they were originally intended for. It may be more cost-effective for the original name-brand customer to write these off (the cost of which they have most likely considered from the start and factored in to their pricing) than have them shipped with logistics costs incurred and end up as obsolete inventory in their warehouses.

This may actually be a good deal.
    Yeah, your right. it can't be considered dumping because we have no local manufacturers naman which would be placed at a disadvantage by this.

Actually, I do think its a good deal if you car alarm no longer works. Old models of car alarms are still very good because the technology hasnt really changed much over the years. Except for the high-end GSM controlled alarms, the basic units has virtually not changed in features.

Magkano kaya puhunan ng "Blade" sa car alarms nila?