New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Kung tayo po ay gumagamit ng car lighter adapter para icharge ang mga devices natin ayon sa pag kakaintindi ko, gagamit ito ng voltage current and power para maicharge ang device. Ang tanong ko ay malaking disadvantage ba ito? Madidiskarga ba agad ang ating baterya o habang tumatakbo ang sasakyan ay nag gegenerate ito ng electricity to recharge the battery of the car.

Possible alternative:
    1. Use a Power Bank
    2. Charge your cellphone to full before you go
    3. Have a spare battery

Nonetheless, any inputs will be appreciated. Big Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    I see no disadvantage at all, the 12v outlet was designed to be used that way. Unless you are using a cheap car charger, that will destroy the battery of your mobile device.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by danegoesonline View Post
    Kung tayo po ay gumagamit ng car lighter adapter para icharge ang mga devices natin ayon sa pag kakaintindi ko, gagamit ito ng voltage current and power para maicharge ang device. Ang tanong ko ay malaking disadvantage ba ito? Madidiskarga ba agad ang ating baterya o habang tumatakbo ang sasakyan ay nag gegenerate ito ng electricity to recharge the battery of the car.

Possible alternative:
    1. Use a Power Bank
    3. Have a spare battery

it should work just fine. unless as aar0nix pointed out. you are using a cheap charger.
    the charger should work the same as the outlet charger(220v input). it also has a 1 or 2amp rate (output). or lower.
    if you are worried about the car battery or electrical. you should not. if it is running on the oem cigarette lighter plug. that also has a fuse in it. if the charger is overdrawing current. then it should blow a fuse. cars have safeguards with it. specially electrical stuff.so will the mobile device. it will stop charging when it is fully charged.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    I'm currently using a legit charger Elevo purchased from handyman cost 529 just for one port. I don't have anything against fuse blowing up since fuse can be replaced, I think my point is if the battery gonna be drained out using this feature frequently and if the car is charging while the engine is running.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    The car is always charging when you are running the car. Otherwise you can't start the car the following time. It will only discharge if (1) you have too many accessories that draws too much current and the alternator can't keep up with charging the battery, (2) you charge or use the battery while the engine is not running, (3) the alternator (which charges the battery) is busted,, (4) the battery reached its end of life and will not charge despite your alternator working.

Hth

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006

Possible alternative:
    1. Use a Power Bank
    3. Have a spare battery

First, when the car is running, the car doesn't use the battery's stored power.

The car has an alternator which converts the engine's power into electric energy to power all your car's electronics - radio, headlamps, etc.

Following your logic, running with the lights and radio on would drain the car's battery..doesn't happen, right? Because of the alternator which not only powers the electricals, but charges the battery as well when it isn't at full capacity.

The phone charger has very very very little power draw compared to all other electrical functions of your car.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008

Possible alternative:
    1. Use a Power Bank
    3. Have a spare battery

your car won't even feel it.
    but you might. especially if the charger is "sub-standard", i.e., cheaply made in ... na sumasabog.
    heh heh.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Agree ako sa mga sumagot. Very well said po. Thank you

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    but i did notice, that my cheap, sidewalk-sourced gadget charges more slowly when the engine isn't running at higher rpm.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    but i did notice, that my cheap, sidewalk-sourced gadget charges more slowly when the engine isn't running at higher rpm.
    Am using a plug in voltmeter-thermometer-ammeter with two USB ports, in the cigarette lighter interface in all of our rides....

One port for the dash cam. The other port for charging the handphone....

Cool gadget. Very handy in warning me if the alternator is acting up...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Disadvantages charging your devices using car lighter charger