New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Keyless entry for cars are becoming a norm these days.

I'm just curious, what happens if you have your key inside your pocket and you leave the car while the engine is running? Will the engine stop or will it continue to run?

Maybe different cars will have different behaviors.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by remzam View Post

I'm just curious, what happens if you have your key inside your pocket and you leave the car while the engine is running? Will the engine stop or will it continue to run?

Gano ka kalayo sa oto? If pumasok ka lang sa loob ng bahay nyo nilapag mo susi sa sala nyo or kwarto wherin within range pa ng key sensor. Di mamamatay. Or mamatay lang pag wala ng gas.. LOL. Pero again, depends pa rin sa manufacturer.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Engine keeps running. Alarm system won't let you lock the doors from outside. There's only an alarm to let you know the key is out of range.

Actually, someone can just hop in and drive the car away if you leave it like that. Once the thief shuts off the engine, however, there's no way to start it up without the key (immobilizer and all that).

Key fobs usually have a VERY short range. You'd have to be standing almost in front of the door's lock button for you to unlock/lock the door. That means no one can sneak up and unlock the doors behind your back as you are walking away. The car can also tell if the key fob is inside or outside the vehicle so you can't turn on the engine even if the key fob is close by but not inside the cabin.

I'd suggest you try to download the owner's manual of the particular vehicle that you're interested in.

Tapatalked

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I think this should be "cars with auto start" or something and not "cars with keyless entry"?

_/_/_/
    "The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!

31.7K _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    for the new ones, if they drive off without the key, it will stop after a few meters diba?

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
    Engine keeps running. Alarm system won't let you lock the doors from outside. There's only an alarm to let you know the key is out of range.

Actually, someone can just hop in and drive the car away if you leave it like that. Once the thief shuts off the engine, however, there's no way to start it up without the key (immobilizer and all that).

Key fobs usually have a VERY short range. You'd have to be standing almost in front of the door's lock button for you to unlock/lock the door. That means no one can sneak up and unlock the doors behind your back as you are walking away. The car can also tell if the key fob is inside or outside the vehicle so you can't turn on the engine even if the key fob is close by but not inside the cabin.

I'd suggest you try to download the owner's manual of the particular vehicle that you're interested in.

Tapatalked

6. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    ^
    Perhaps the more expensive ones. I'm just relating how mine behaves from experience. There have been times when my wife carries the keys in her bag and forgets to hand it over to me as she alights to open our garage gate. I haven't tried driving far without the key but there's nothing in my owner's manual that indicates the engine will shut itself down.

I also doubt that cars will be designed to shut down when it loses contact with the key fob transmitter. What if the key fob battery runs out while you're cruising on the highway? That'd be potentially disastrous.

Tapatalked

7. Join Date
    Jun 2012

8. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by remzam View Post

sa ford diretso parin ang andar.kahit san ka makarating wag na wag mo lang papatayin makina saka .diretro parin ung alarm na.ung susi daw ay wala sa kotse

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    mas madali daw nakawin yang may push start, all they need is a blank key fob, an obd scanner and they can re-program a new code sa blank key fob.. is this also happening here sa atin?

10. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
    ^
    Perhaps the more expensive ones. I'm just relating how mine behaves from experience. There have been times when my wife carries the keys in her bag and forgets to hand it over to me as she alights to open our garage gate. I haven't tried driving far without the key but there's nothing in my owner's manual that indicates the engine will shut itself down.

I also doubt that cars will be designed to shut down when it loses contact with the key fob transmitter. What if the key fob battery runs out while you're cruising on the highway? That'd be potentially disastrous.

Tapatalked
    Forgot that running out of battery and ruiningbyour long weekend vacation or highway experience.

A more serious problem is carbon monoxide poisoning. There were reported deaths already linked to keyless entry nakakalimutan patayin engine as OP stated .

Keyless entry vehicles linked to deaths - YouTube

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast