New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^ based on file size, the roadguide map have twice more data

2. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    hi.just take your time to read sa roadguide, matututunan nyo din ang in and out. nahirapan din ako nung una kasi sobrang excited mag kamapa. once you get to know it, i tell you sulit maging contributor. makikita mo mga contributions nyo from that matutuwa ka talaga. more contibutions means more updated map.bayanihan mode

3. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    *rhk111, thanks very much for the map tips. I just came back from a trip to Hawaii where after driving around like a headless chicken who couldn't remember specific directions from google maps print outs, I bought a Nuvi 1300, knowing that it will come in handy in the Phils. The device worked like a charm and I never had to rely on printed maps ever again.

My questions (pls pardon the techno-idiocy in them) on installing Phil. maps are these:
    1. If I installed both Roadguide and OSM, how will I know which one is being displayed by the device? Can you switch from one to the other? When I was abroad, it was quite intuitive since I was only relying on the pre-installed maps.
    2. Will overwriting the "gmapsupp.img" file on the device affect any of the pre-installed maps?
    Thanks for the help!

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post
    *rhk111, thanks very much for the map tips. I just came back from a trip to Hawaii where after driving around like a headless chicken who couldn't remember specific directions from google maps print outs, I bought a Nuvi 1300, knowing that it will come in handy in the Phils. The device worked like a charm and I never had to rely on printed maps ever again.

My questions (pls pardon the techno-idiocy in them) on installing Phil. maps are these:
    1. If I installed both Roadguide and OSM, how will I know which one is being displayed by the device? Can you switch from one to the other? When I was abroad, it was quite intuitive since I was only relying on the pre-installed maps.
    2. Will overwriting the "gmapsupp.img" file on the device affect any of the pre-installed maps?
    Thanks for the help!

1. go to tools -settings - map - map info and see what map has a check mark... yes, you can switch from one map to the other.

2. it's better to back up the garmin drive first just to be safe.

hth

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post
      Yes, you can select which map will be displayed. If you enable both maps, I believe in some units you will see both maps so that if the tracks are misaligned you'll see two roads, while others will show only one map depending on their so called FID or which map is saved where, internal memory or sd card.

No. The new gmapsupp.img will only overwrite the old gmapsupp.img. Pre-installed maps on new Garmin units have different filenames, e.g., gmapprom.img (U.S. Map) and gmapbmap.img (World basic), so they won't be overwritten. But as always advised, backup all files of your unit before tinkering with it!
    Thanks for the help!
    hope that helps

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Alin kaya mas complete, yung sa OSM or contributor's map ng roadguide?
    Mas kumpleto ang contributor's map ng roadguide bro...

Pero, maraming mali sa roadguide contributor's map lalo na sa mga probinsiya.

A couple of them, based on my personal experience are :

1. Bolinao,- shortcut road to the lighthouse was marked as major thoroughfare, but it was dirt road, almost a 4x4 trail
    2. Candelaria,- diversion road to San Juan was marked as major road, but was dirt road....

13.0K:funa:

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Mas kumpleto ang contributor's map ng roadguide bro...

Pero, maraming mali sa roadguide contributor's map lalo na sa mga probinsiya.

A couple of them, based on my personal experience are :

1. Bolinao,- shortcut road to the lighthouse was marked as major thoroughfare, but it was dirt road, almost a 4x4 trail
    2. Candelaria,- diversion road to San Juan was marked as major road, but was dirt road....

13.0K:funa:

it would be better if you can submit the said corrections, so that it can be updated in the next map release.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    it would be better if you can submit the said corrections, so that it can be updated in the next map release.
    Hi Can someone point me a tutorial on how to contribute to roadguide, I'm using garmin 265wt currently using OSM version.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TholitzReloaded View Post
    Hi Can someone point me a tutorial on how to contribute to roadguide, I'm using garmin 265wt currently using OSM version.

Just got my Garmin 265W from the US a week ago. I loaded both OSM and Roadguide junior map on my device. It takes up around 54MB as opposed to 27 MB for RG and 29MB for OSM.

There are times that OSM has more POIs than RG or vice versa that's why i loaded both maps on my device. Now, I can do POI searching using both maps' POI database.

The catch is that the RG map overrides the OSM map. But you can easily select which map to activate.

Hope this helps.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Need help, guys. I can't seem to find the "gmapsupp.img" in my Nuvi 1300. I already downloaded and installed mapsource from OSM, then downloaded gmapsupp.img from the OSM site. But when I opened my device and went through each folder, I couldn't find its gmapsupp.img so I could overwrite it. Is there any thing else I need to look into? Thanks very much.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast