New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 30 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
    I bought mine sa US at may philippine map na siya.. no monthly fees with bluetooth for hands-free connection sa cellphone.. you can hear MP3 and hear your text msg from your handset.

who wants to buy my GPS?

contact me XXXXXXXXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    Ang hirap talaga kumita.
    magkano sir bili mo sa Garmin mo?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Hey Guys, would any of you good people know how to set up the GPS for the iphone. Just bought mine on a subscription plan with globe. Was wondering if this works.

thanks a lot.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jbserbael View Post
    Hey Guys, would any of you good people know how to set up the GPS for the iphone. Just bought mine on a subscription plan with globe. Was wondering if this works.

thanks a lot.
    There's nothing much in the way of setup. You only have to make sure you can connect to the internet.

When you launch the MAPS application, it will show you where you are. If you have used Google Maps before on your pc to browse the Philippine map, you'll pretty much get the same thing on your iPhone ... meaning, besides the satellite picture there's not much else. Only a few major roads are on the map, and they're not even overlaid exactly on the satellite photo, so forget about the Search and Direction functions on the phone.

Basically, what you got is a GPS locator which includes a fancy (satellite and hybrid) map ... but it'll get a fix on your location quite quick because of the A-GPS feature.

In countries with detailed maps, the iPhone can be good tool when you're walking, but pretty much useless when you're driving.

And in the absence of WiFi connectivity, the iPhone will get data over the phone network ... so be prepared for a lot of downloading even when browsing 2D maps. The maps aren't stored in the phone.

HTH
    Last edited by StraightSix; December 24th, 2008 at 06:14 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Too bad for the iPhone ... I was driving from Mandaluyong to BF homes last night and used my Nokia 6110 Navigator's GPS system to guide me all the way from Sucat to my final destination and even to Westgate with no problems. Very useful especially the voice prompts from the phone. The map is stored on the phone so no need for any additional data connection.

Without it, I would have been totally lost.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    OT.
    - HELP naman po...
    - i browsed agen this thread from page1 but haven't noticed about other GPS' features
    - we got this GPS (generic) from a car dealer... i think i availed it for its "video" feature.. kc as they said, there's no need for a Map within MM..
    - anybody pls help me po to "download" a video file into said GPS? gagawin ko na lang po syang parang "car video unit"

TIA...

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    psp with gps... ok na ba? or hassle pa rin? available ba ang gps receiver sa pinas?
    planning to buy psp next year... TIA

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by DBanker View Post
    OT.
    - HELP naman po...
    - i browsed agen this thread from page1 but haven't noticed about other GPS' features
    - we got this GPS (generic) from a car dealer... i think i availed it for its "video" feature.. kc as they said, there's no need for a Map within MM..
    - anybody pls help me po to "download" a video file into said GPS? gagawin ko na lang po syang parang "car video unit"

TIA...
    The GPS navigation feature might be part of the in-car entertainment system. But without a compatible map, it will be useless. The map is the key to getting a GPS navigation system working.

Its not just a matter of getting any map, you must know what type of map would be compatible with your system. Garmin is one of more well known gps systems. Check the system's manual or from the dealer as to where you can get a Metro Manila map for your GPS.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kideex View Post
    psp with gps... ok na ba? or hassle pa rin? available ba ang gps receiver sa pinas?
    depends if you can integrate the gps receiver to the psp. Plus you will need some sort of holder for it to be placed in the car to be really useful (kinda hard to drive with one hand holding the PSP).

In V-Mall, there is a shop selling dedicated GPS devices (with Metro Manila map) for under P15K. You can also buy Nokia 6110 Navigator (P15K) with it's built-in GPS navigation software... but you will need to purchase an updated metro manila map because the free map is probably nearly a decade out of date.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    sir, let me answer back with your reply...will just incorporate it..really appreciated it much!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The GPS navigation feature might be part of the in-car entertainment system. But without a compatible map, it will be useless. -> but sir, there is a selection for an "entertainment" menu, so i guess it can operate on a different SD card.. *** The map is the key to getting a GPS navigation system working. -> I guess that entertainment selection is different/separated from the "Map Menu", am i right, sir?

Its not just a matter of getting any map, you must know what type of map would be compatible with your system. -> it goes with an SD with a Metro Mla map*** Garmin is one of more well known gps systems. Check the system's manual - > no manual attached po *** or from the dealer as to where you can get a Metro Manila map for your GPS.
    sir, ang gusto ko po sana ay i-operate yung "entertainment menu" using a different SD card... an SD different from its "stock SD" OR
    if memory permits, download a video (concert or movie) to the same "stock SD" then, run the "entertainment menu" using the same SD
    - so, bale po, i'll just use the GPS for "video watching"- not anymore as a "map"... hope you understand me... thanks much...

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kideex View Post
    Hassle pa rin ...

Sony sells the GPS receiver (the PSP-290) bundled with the Go!Explore navigation software and map. If you only want the PSP-290 receiver, you can buy it from online Chinese shops (like on ebay).

Unfortunately, Go!Explore still doesn't have a map for the Philippines. You can still use the PSP-290 on a different navigation software, which is MapThis.

But MapThis uses Google maps. Google maps' coverage for the Philippines isn't good (not much details). A fellow tsikoteer has been converting better maps from another source to run on MapThis. PM mo si siacojin.

BTW MapThis supports (via USB) Holux GPS receivers ... which is way better than the most GPS receivers.

HTH