New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 11 of 76 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    just the answer ive been looking for!!!

dude where did you get the maps?
    How much for the Nuvi 650? is it avail locally? Where to get the map?
    I got the maps from the link posted above. The Nuvi was $300 and I got it from Costco in the US.

For some reason I can't search for addresses.....weird.....probably just a setting issue....will have to do some research.....

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nice!!! :D pakita ha

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by afterglow View Post
    I got the maps from the link posted above. The Nuvi was $300 and I got it from Costco in the US.

For some reason I can't search for addresses.....weird.....probably just a setting issue....will have to do some research.....
    How precise are the maps? Accurate ba the street names etc etc....?? How about outside metro manila? Very intersting ata ito. I have been wanting to get a gps for sometime na apprehensive lang ako when it comes to maps for the Phil..

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    It might not be included in the map file/s. But I guess we'll just have to wait for Carlos' post on this.

So how do you navigate? Do you input the street name or a point on the map? Any set of Points of Interest (POI) included?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just got myself recently a Garmin Nuvi 350. Will be using it on an upcoming trip to the USA in March. I'll try the map with it when I get my hands on it 2 weeks from now.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wiretap_md View Post
    Just got myself recently a Garmin Nuvi 350. Will be using it on an upcoming trip to the USA in March. I'll try the map with it when I get my hands on it 2 weeks from now.
    how much did you get it for? Got it in the US and your using it in the US? Are you going to bring it to the Philippines after?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    It might not be included in the map file/s. But I guess we'll just have to wait for Carlos' post on this.

So how do you navigate? Do you input the street name or a point on the map? Any set of Points of Interest (POI) included?
    That's probably it....but I have no problems searching by address on Mapsource so I'm hoping that the map has that functionality. Eagerly waiting Carlos' post although he hasn't responded to my PMs.

Since it currently can't search by typing in the address, the only way to navigate on the GPS itself is to hope that the place you're headed to is in its POI database. Luckily, there are a bunch of POI's already preloaded. Unfortunately, they're not complete and contain a bunch of POI's that I would like to delete. Let's just say that I now have a fair idea of where Carlos likes to hang out and where his friends live.....

I'd really like to start working on some custom POIs of all the Jollibee, Starbucks, BPI, Metrobank, Mercury, Shell, etc. branches but I'd really love to delete some of the POIs included in the map since there will be a fair bit of duplication.

How precise are the maps? Accurate ba the street names etc etc....?? How about outside metro manila? Very intersting ata ito. I have been wanting to get a gps for sometime na apprehensive lang ako when it comes to maps for the Phil..
    The maps are surprisingly precise and so far wala pa namang maling street names. In fact, there are some streets on the nuvi that I didn't even think had a name. One problem I saw though is there's a stretch of Aurora Blvd. that isn't properly plotted on the underlying map so mukhang off-road ang kotse sa display. Sa probinsya naman, the streets are there but oftentimes they're named "provincial road" or "local road".

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007

The maps are surprisingly precise and so far wala pa namang maling street names. In fact, there are some streets on the nuvi that I didn't even think had a name. One problem I saw though is there's a stretch of Aurora Blvd. that isn't properly plotted on the underlying map so mukhang off-road ang kotse sa display. Sa probinsya naman, the streets are there but oftentimes they're named "provincial road" or "local road".

THANKS!!! this is getting very very interesting.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by edtf View Post
    how much did you get it for? Got it in the US and your using it in the US? Are you going to bring it to the Philippines after?
    Im based here in the Philippines. I purchased my unit from amazon. My gf is brining it home with her on February. I'll be going to the USA 2nd week of March.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by afterglow
    Since it currently can't search by typing in the address, the only way to navigate on the GPS itself is to hope that the place you're headed to is in its POI database. Luckily, there are a bunch of POI's already preloaded. Unfortunately, they're not complete and contain a bunch of POI's that I would like to delete. Let's just say that I now have a fair idea of where Carlos likes to hang out and where his friends live.....
    Marami bang POI na biglang-liko?

Navigating via POI should not be your only option for destinations. Have you tried browsing the map? You should be able to point a place on the map and select it as your destination. Or by entering the geographical coordinates ... though I honestly don't know anybody who bothers with coordinates when selecting a destination.

We ought to be thankful to Carlos for providing us a Philippine map. The only alternative that I know is that of MapKing Asia - where the map coverage is just for Manila. Or Nokia's Smart2Go (forget about it). Nokia's Philippine map is a joke.

I wanted to get a Garmin last Christmas. My only standalone unit's getting old - 4 years, with a UK map as old as it is. But since my mobile phone was up for a "free" upgrade, I got another PDA instead (an XDA Orbit). At least it has a built-in GPS receiver unlike my old XDA Exec. And with WM6, I had it running on satnav with the latest maps in no time at all.