New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    I have a similar question. Is it true you cannot use your HID lights as 'Pass Beam' meaning even during daytime when you need to signal someone instead of the horn.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Meaning you cannot flash them? Yes. You cannot. It will shorten its life span.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by airolynx View Post
    I have a similar question. Is it true you cannot use your HID lights as 'Pass Beam' meaning even during daytime when you need to signal someone instead of the horn.
    For me its No, I'm using my HID HL on that occasion. It is almost a year now & still fine.

when you flick your Hi column switch during the morning, you want to pass or alert some motorists of your presence. HID bulbs need a little more time than vs. halogen bulbs to reach the max lumens output so in this case, pde ba gamitin? pde naman but halogen bulbs will do a better job at it.

Another thing, turning ON and then OFF your hid bulbs frequently will shorten its service lifetime.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by garyq View Post
    when you flick your Hi column switch during the morning, you want to pass or alert some motorists of your presence. HID bulbs need a little more time than vs. halogen bulbs to reach the max lumens output so in this case, pde ba gamitin? pde naman but halogen bulbs will do a better job at it.

Another thing, turning ON and then OFF your hid bulbs frequently will shorten its service lifetime.
    hi Sir Gary, if that's the case, let's take my ride for example, i own a 2009 Honda City, if I were to go ahead and get a projector retrofit (that includes hi-lo), so I am better off not using it as pass-beam and rely on the horn instead? Or does the projector retrofit come with a non-HID hi beam?

I have a 2009 Jazz (GE body) and we basically have the same stock lighting system.

When I say it will shorten the lifespan of the bulbs, what I mean is if flash your Hi beam like crazy. If you do it 2-3x/day then it is not a problem. The OEM bulbs are even more sturdy and will not be affected by this so much. Have my Philips for more than 2 years already and I am using it like a standard halogen lighting system but of course the output is miles apart. I rarely flash though or use my horn, I use my brakes instead

For single bulb setup like the City or Jazz, we don't have a halogen bulb for passing. Sa Civic pwede yan or Altis na meron separate LO and Hi bulb.

If the retrofit is properly made, it's just like using a stock lighting syst with 3x more intensity

7. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by garyq View Post

what about kung single bulb yon headlight...i mean LO and HI in one bulb, both HID(of course), if using HI beam,flick for passing...so shorten its service time for HI beam only or both HI and LO will affected...is it advisible to go retrofit if you have single bulb only.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    what about for XUV crosswind running on single bulb,both HI and LO in one bulb(stock halogen)..is it possible to retrofit only the LO beam for HID and retain HI beam for halogen?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    hello po sa lahat! bago ko lang nalaman na mali pala yung pag ugrade ko to hid kit since i need a projector headlight pala. I have a hilux 2009. Magagamit ko pa ba yung hid kit ko na nabili if projector headlight nalng ang bilihin ko? or mas better if pa retrofit nalang? thanks po sa inyong tulong.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    sir mjdg, iba ang HID bulbs ng projectors (bolt on) sa HID kits pang halogen housing so hindi mo magagamit yan HID mo nabili sa projectors. And ang projectors normally comes complete with bulbs na pagbili mo. As to retrofit, the best pa din ang retro fit pero pricey talaga. No less than 20k for a good pair vs 6k-8k na bolt on projectors.

dapat palitan mo na yang HID on halogen reflectors mo dahil nakaka silaw sa kasalubong mo yang ganyan set up. if you can afford the retrofit, i suggest you go for it. if bihira ka lang naman mag drive sa gabi, then go for the bolt on projectors (55 watts) which is affordable and yet a vast improvement from halogens/hid.

yung xtrail ko, i installed bolt on projectors with 55 watts and happy ako sa buga. although i can still tinker with the cutoff to increase the hot spot. sa santa fe ko naman, since naka oem projectors na low beam, nagpalit na lang ako ng HID bulbs and happy din ako sa buga. both are hindi nakakasilaw sa kasalubong pero malakas ang buga sa kalye.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Stock vs. Philips XP vs. HID vs. retrofit