New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I need some help peeps. It's a very weird problem but its there and i can't tell why. I recently installed HID lights on my ride. And i just noticed today that when i turn them on, my FM radio signal weakens and i start getting static and signal drops. What can be the problem here? Help please!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    weird nga, but eto sa tingin ko, since may balast ang hid baka malakas ang EMF emitted by it. kaya naaapektuhan radio mo. watching too much Mythbusters ata ako hehe

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by manolop10 View Post
    I need some help peeps. It's a very weird problem but its there and i can't tell why. I recently installed HID lights on my ride. And i just noticed today that when i turn them on, my FM radio signal weakens and i start getting static and signal drops. What can be the problem here? Help please!
    might be a voltage drop problem rather than signal drop and statics. HIDs consume higher currents...your head unit mimics the symptoms you've mentioned specially if you don't have a good ground.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ^isn't in that HID's consume less power (35w) compared to stock halogens?
    well i think its more of interference or bad antenna connection.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    palipat mo ng lugar yun ballast. baka malapit sa antenna cable or the antenna itself.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I'll also suggest that you relocate the ballast first and make sure the connections are good. A device producing high voltage spikes (like HID systems) will make noise, and noise has a funny way of choosing its route.

Check mo rin antenna connections ... There's a BMW service bulletin regarding the E36 antenna plug (going to the head unit). You may also want to check the antenna connection to the antenna booster located in one of the C-pillars.

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mangdencio View Post
    might be a voltage drop problem rather than signal drop and statics. HIDs consume higher currents...your head unit mimics the symptoms you've mentioned specially if you don't have a good ground.
    Mang dencio is right. Check your ground make sure your ground wire is grounded properly to your chassis(paint must remove) or engine block use star washer for better contact. If this thing dont work, try to isolate your HID ballast from the chassis use rubber grommets if attaching your ballast to the chassis or install an antenna noise supressor. Good luck

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Okay thanks for the input guys! i'll try to relocate the ballast and see what happens. If that doesnt work i'll check the grounding of my radio then. Hopefully i can do this soon cuz i'm getting busy with school starting! Thank you very much for the help!!

9. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    yup, your ballast might be too near the radio reciever or wires. try relocation it or put some shielding on your ballast.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    it's not Higher currents but Higher voltage, about a few thousand volts.

anyway, I am skeptic relocating the ballast would help. I have a fella who has the same case. his ballast is malayo naman eh... and the ballast itself is making that noise parang am station noise... unfortunately, hindi pa nya na solve...

if other suggestion didn't work, try relocating your HU's negative source directly to the battery.
    Last edited by rion; December 19th, 2008 at 03:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Radio signal weakens when HID lights turned on