New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Many people complain that their headlamps are too weak, and eventually opt for the HID upgrades to get the best lighting output for their car.

True enough, a proper HID retrofit has much, much better output than stock halogen bulbs, with clearer cut-off as well:

On the left is a Mazda 3 with an HID projector retrofit, on the right is an Altis with stock halogen headlamps. The HID output is so strong that it overpowers the halogen output.

Viewed individually:

So, let's all get retrofits and call it a day, yeah? Not so fast.
    More than your headlamps, it's your tint that really hampers your car's visibility. In bright, sunny conditions, our eyes are able to adjust such that even dark tint is livable (it's just like you're driving in perpetually gloomy weather). However, at night, are eyes are already at their maximum sensitivity but still cannot compensate very well for dark tints.

Based on the example above you'd think that even with dark tints, you'll still have better visibility as long as you have HIDs since they're so much brighter than halogens. Think again.

Both shots were taken with a dSLR with the same exposure settings (1/10 shutter speed, f4.0 aperture, ISO 3200) at night with a light drizzle.

You might be thinking, "How can that be? The HID retrofit is so much stronger than the halogen headlamp!"

Well, that's your tint wasting your bi-xenon projector's output. Take note, these are Vkool tints, which many claim to already have better visibility from inside compared to 3M and other brands. This is also just medium (20% VLT) tint; just imagine how much less output you get with dark (5% VLT) tint. Lastly, the Mazda already has HID retrofits, which are stronger than most factory OEM HIDs. Yet, the Altis still had better visibility despite its stock setup simply because it had lighter tint.

So what's my point? Basically, if you're thinking of getting super dark tints, think about why you're doing so. Do you really need that much privacy? From my experience, even medium tints are already dark enough that only your silhouette is visible from outside. I won't feel scared to let my hapless little sister drive my car with medium tint because I know that she's anonymous enough from outside. Also from experience, noone has broken into my car with clear tint even if I park in not-so-secure areas - I just make it a point to put valuables in the trunk, where they should be.

If heat rejection is the concern, lighter reflective tints such as Vkool's K-series or 3M's Black Chrome can offer better heat rejection without compromising nighttime visibility. And if aesthetics is your only concern, is it really worth the tradeoffs?

I'm not saying that people should abandon dark tints altogether - I'm sure some have really good reasons why they just had to get the darkest possible tint for their car. However, I'm just saying that it severely limits visibility during poor weather conditions at night, and increases the risk of accidents in such circumstances. Hopefully, people take that into consideration. If dark tints are really a necessity, please consider getting HID retrofits if your car doesn't already have HID to be able to compensate for the decreased visibility.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Nice one bro.jut. Thanks for sharing...

And bros,- if you chose to have dark tints,- PLEASE do not turn on your high beam when following another vehicle or there is an oncoming vehicle.

Because if you do,- you are an arrogant driver.

"The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!

27.8K _/_/_/_/_/:starwars:_/_/_/_/_/

3. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    I was once at a crossroads deciding whether to keep my medium black 3M full windshield tint and just get an HID upgrade. I decided to just keep my halogen lights and remove my windshield tint.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Nice explanation.

Our innova has this almost nothing tint hahaha. Everyone can see what is inside but it has tint except on the windshield.

Then came a time I have to exchange vehicle with my bro in law which has a dark tint (not the darkest though). Lo and behold, it felt like 7pm when it was just 5pm in the afternoon.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Nice explanation.

Our innova has this almost nothing tint hahaha. Everyone can see what is inside but it has tint except on the windshield.

Then came a time I have to exchange vehicle with my bro in law which has a dark tint (not the darkest though). Lo and behold, it felt like 7pm when it was just 5pm in the afternoon.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Thanks sa info.
    Its like if want dark tint then upgrade your lamp so the visibility will be ok during night.

Ano ba ang best tint brand or model na dark sa labas then maliwanag sa loob ng car?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    great post bro with the visuals and all. drive home the point. mine is super dark and, for a security freak like me (read: paranoid), it got me thinking. seriously.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    ang tanong ko...
    bakit madalas ay nasisilaw ako kapag may naka-HID na kasalubong?
    and i am already already riding a higher seat than a sedan's...!

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    doubledouble.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    ang tanong ko...
    bakit madalas ay nasisilaw ako kapag may naka-HID na kasalubong?
    and i am already already riding a higher seat than a sedan's...!
    mga hindi retrofitted lamps Doc, those cheap-ass plug and play na HIDs.

Basta magka HID lang kahit sabog and glaring sa kasalubong ayos lang.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast