New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    in relation with this thread: http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...834#post937834

as I was upgrading my headlight with a relay. I realized my connection will make my H4 bulb on high beam running with low beam. though low beam is as-is low beam only.

so my question is: is it still safe? I'm concern the gas inside the bulb cannot take two beams running at the same time. it is a stock wattage 55w/60w with heavy duty wire and a ceramic socket though...

I'm not much concern about the bulb life span. I'm concern it might blow or melt my plastic headlight casing...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    in relation with this thread: http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...834#post937834

as I was upgrading my headlight with a relay. I realized my connection will make my H4 bulb on high beam running with low beam. though low beam is as-is low beam only.

so my question is: is it still safe? I'm concern the gas inside the bulb cannot take two beams running at the same time. it is a stock wattage 55w/60w with heavy duty wire and a ceramic socket though...

I'm not much concern about the bulb life span. I'm concern it might blow or melt my plastic headlight casing...
    not safe... generally if the high beam is on, the low beam filament is off. If they are both on, it could melt the housing, socket or even start a fire.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007

hey bro. i also installed the wiring harness kit for h4 90/100 bulbs. how can you tell it both high and low beam are on? i noticed that its a ot brighter than before. also scared of melting. when i hit the high beam it changes higher. is this also the same with you? thanks.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    salamat po ghosthunter. I'm just glad I am now able to make each beams on solo now.

*Jedi730: by watching the lights mismo. it was painful in the eyes but atleast it was daylight.

when you hit the high beam and it changes higher, then your connection is fine.

running both low and high is very noticable. since the aim doesn't change, but the aim expands.

I have no personal experience with high wattage bulbs. if your casing is all made of glass then you should be fine though.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    thanks rion.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    *Jedi730: by watching the lights mismo. it was painful in the eyes but atleast it was daylight.
    A voltmeter would've been safer. Dapat nag-shades ka.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Low beam (55W) + high beam (65W) is equal to around 120W of light! That's more than the overwattage bulbs usually offered, hence really dangerous and might melt both the headlamp housing, sockets, and put a good strain on the wiring.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    na-experience ko rin yan dati sa hilander ko...

nag-install ako ng relay (yung kit with the yellow-colored cover sa wires) tapos naglagay ako ng Narva 90/100w all-weather bulbs.

Sarap ng biyahe ko papuntang Ilocos to Pagudpud (daytime). Inabot ako ng gabi sa Pagudpud at pabalik na ako sa Vigan (doon kasi ako nagpa-book para mag overnight stay).

Nung nasa highway na ako, sobra dilim at wala gaanong kasalubong. oks lang naka low-beam pero sa bilis ng takbo ko (80-100kph) mas maganda naka hi-beam para makita ko pa ang daan. Nung nag high-beam na ako, after 1 minute or 2 pumutok ang 2 headlight bulbs ko! nag switch ako sa low-beam at yung right side na lang ang umiilaw!

Minalas pa ako kasi di ko nakita yung lubak sa right side, kaya nung napadaan ako sa lubak, tuluyan na napundi yung headlight bulbs!

Nakarating ako sa Vigan after 2 hours, gamit lang ang fog lights * 40 kph max. Nagsisi ako kung bakit naglagay pa ako ng relay kit na yun!

pagdating ko sa Vigan basag yung dalawang H4 bulbs at nagkalat sa loob ng headlight housing yung bubog. Buti na lang yung schedule ko ng pauwi ng Manila eh naka-set ng umaga.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Compared to what I posted earlier (120W worth of light) you probably went way beyond it and probably took out 190W worth of light which obviously the car isn't designed to handle even with a relay. Good to hear nothing happened except that missed pothole and broken bulb glass.

Technically if you're running low beam and you pull backwards on the "flash" function, both low and high beams work. If you make it click or push it forward, low beams shut off and high beams turn on, and the blue "high beam on" indicator bulb turns on sa instrument cluster mo. But having them on for prolonged period of time is bad, hence the manufacturers shutting off the low beam when high beams are used, and the flash function is only spring loaded and can not be toggled to function for long.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    done that to my lancer pizza. used thicker wires and ceramic sockets stock 55/60w bulb. used 6 relays. its been 6 years na so far ok naman, but i only use it when driving at long highways na walng kasunod at kasalubong, pero pag sa costal gamit ko palagi kasi mga siraulo jeep at bus dun, di marunong umintindi ng signal na naka bright sya.

the way i wired mine was 2 relays per bulb, 1 for high, 1 for low. 1 master relay that supplies all 4 relays with power. then the 6th(with switch for city driving) triggers the low beam when the high beam is on. took me 1 whole day to make the relay kit. just make sure to buy good terminals, and they are tightly connected to the relay. also i soldered each terminal and wire kahit clipped na para siguradong walng maluwag dun naguumpisa ang tunaw na wires and terminals.

yung kay jagxtrm... off the shelf na relay siguro kaya madaling nasunog yung bulb, manilpis ang wires nun. and regular wiring lang yun hindi yung sabay high low
    Last edited by impulzz; October 22nd, 2007 at 04:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
H4 Bulb both low/high are on, is it safe?