New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hi all,

certainly not one of my better driving days today...

things started out as normal when i drove myself to the office to get some stuff i left behind. nung paalis na ako ng car park, i heard this scraping sound from the engine bay. since i've been hearing some squeals under the hood for weeks now, akala ko baka one of the belts were just scraping against the plastic cover of the timing belt.

i then went to V-mall, hearing the scraping sound all the way going there. nung pauwi na ako, i suddenly noticed that the 'check oil' lamp was going on/off intermittently. i pulled up at the nearest gas station and bought a liter of oil for refilling. the weird part is that i was still within the safe level. i added it anyways just to be sure.

from the gas station going home, the scraping sound seemed to disappear whenever i revved the engine up to a certain rpm. wala naman akong maramdaman sa loss in power, only up until the last 50-100 meters from home. mga dalawang beses ako namatayan, and parang nakulang sa hatak even at 1st gear.

i'm suspecting that the oil pump may be at fault here. What do you guys think?

Any chance that i may have damaged anything inside the engine?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    that sound bad. Maybe ur engine is starting to seize up.

potential damage to crankshaft, main bearings

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i've been some of the other threads...they don't paint a pretty picture

what other telltale signs should i look for to confirm if any damage has been done to the internals? duda ko baka nag iintermittent lang ung oil pump, and has not totally conked out...kung hindi e hindi na ako umabot ng bahay...

...or maybe i'm just in the denial stage right now :p

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    well, that "dalawang beses ako namatayan" is already telltale signs.

wag mo na gamitin ung car. the engine might stop dead in the middle of the road.

the main bearings are grinding on the crankshaft with no lubrication.

Dude, think metal to metal with no lube. What happens?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    scary situation. that's why i've been toying w/ the idea of installing an oil pressure gauge. you guys think it'll be of help? especially to older cars such as my ek?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    yep, an oil pressure gauge can be useful.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ^where can you have that done? mga magkano kaya? matagal ba ang installation niyan?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ouch...

If your oil level is normal, I'd say your pump is either dead or your oil lines are "barado". It's telling that the sound goes away when you rev the engine. Oil just isn't climbing up.

But if you're hearing scraping, that's the death-rattle of an engine on its way out... condolences...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    sigh...tried to start up the engine kanina...a definite clang-clang-clang of metal on metal

meron po ba kayong marecommend na shop near pasay/makati? ung sanay mag(gasp) overhaul.

pwede bang ipatow ung ride ko to the talyer? how much usually ang charge?
    Last edited by badkuk; October 30th, 2007 at 09:31 PM.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    sir badkuk ,di kaya kayo nalubak at tinamaan oil pan tapos tumapat ang yupi ng oilpan sa oil pump.kaya di na maganda higop nia ng langis para makabomba

ito kasi naging culprit sa Vanette ng Pinsan ko ..after nalubak umilaw na sa dash ang "check oil lamp" pero di nia pinansin andar pa din sia .pero dalawa beses sia itinirik .andar uli malapit na kasi sa bahay nila
    naka uwi naman ,kinabukasan ayaw na mag umandar engine nia,tukod na piston dahil sa walang lubrication .wala na kasi nag pump
    ng tinggnan ang ilalim nakita ang oil pan may yupi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
grinding/scraping  sound, oil check lamp patay-sindi