New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Hi Gurus,

I am looking to install a fog lights on my 2002 altis. Would like to know what should I know first before buying fog lights?
    Do you think I should go for HID? Kelvin to used?

Thanks guys.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    sir, ano primary purpose mo for the fog lights: aesthetics or functionality? if aesthetics lang, then dont change it to HID na lang. the beam of the fogs are not much help even if naka HID. If functionality, then may i suggest to change your low beams to bolt on projectors HIDs, 4300K 55 watts. mas effective yan than adding fogs.

but if you really want to have fogs for pogi points at the same time make it functional, then pa retro fit ka na lang ng projector fogs para pogi na, malinaw pa. si garyq and master sa mga ganyan.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Be mindful of the fog lamps' intended uses:

They're used ...
    1. To illuminate the immediate foreground
    2. To illuminate the edges of the road and lane markings
    3. Together with the headlights

They're typically NOT used ...
    1. To illuminate vehicles or pedestrians beyond the first few feet of your car
    2. When weather or environmental conditions doesn't justify its use

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Don't expect the foglamps to add significant amount of lighting similar to the HLs. Yan ang common misconception ng marami akala nila malaking improvement sa overall lighting nila ang foglamps (minimal improvement lang in actual), kaya they get frustrated and slap on glaring plug and play HIDs and aim them upwards (a very stupid thing to do). Stock fogs pa lang pag mataas ang aim, nakakasilaw na to oncoming traffic how much more an HID aimed wrongly.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Agree with the 3 replies. Unless you're getting the big fogs/spotties they put on 4x4s, dont expect much additional help from foglights. Improve on the low beams na lang.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Fog lamps may seem to have a cutoff, but they glare. Just compare the glare above the cutoff of the OEM low beams vs the OEM fog lamps. Fog lamps will light up higher on the wall vs low beams.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Driving on an unusual, foggy, 7:00 Friday morning last Feb 1, 2013, 50 meters is hardly visible. While most cars have their park lights on, I met just one with its foglights on.

The foglights were effective, rather than high beams, they glare just enough to make an oncoming vehicle visible through the fog (or heavy rain), and yellow enough to light the immediate road ahead.

But on a clear night (no fog) don't use foglights, they glare more than the brighter Low beams.

Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

btw, nice, clean thread. No hate mongerers so far.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    sa gabi pag marami akong kasabayan na sasakyan especially sa highways, di ako gumagamit ng foglights. pero useful din sa mga kanto na madidilim pag lumiliko. mas nakikita ko ung markings pati ung taas ng sidewalk. pag malakas ulan ginagamit ko kasi white ung buga ng low beam HID ko. Sa mga parking lot din sa mall, foglight ginagamit ko kaysa sa lowbeam ko na mas nakakasilaw.

IMO, kung magpapalagay ka ng foglights, gamit ka super yellow pero wag naman ung masyadong nakakasilaw.

Fog Lamps