New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    ask lang, kahit ba naka-low beam nakaka silaw pa din ba? never had experienced using HID pa kasi, and im plannin to buy one, ng hahanap hanap din ako ng mga review's ng better visibility, at the same time panlaban sa mga gung-gong na driver na laging naka-high beam.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by centz_ View Post
    ask lang, kahit ba naka-low beam nakaka silaw pa din ba? never had experienced using HID pa kasi, and im plannin to buy one, ng hahanap hanap din ako ng mga review's ng better visibility, at the same time panlaban sa mga gung-gong na driver na laging naka-high beam.
    depende sa aim, imho...
    i've seen cars in HIDs na naka low beam pero ang sakit pa din sa mata.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ask lang, kahit ba naka-low beam nakaka silaw pa din ba?
    yes, the chances are high on reflector halogen headlights.

panlaban sa mga gung-gong na driver na laging naka-high beam.
    if you are on reflector headlights, it is unlikely to dazzle them on high beam because the HID takes about 5-10 secs before the bulb lits up 100%.

A bi-xenon headlght does not do that. all it takes is the cutoff that is switched by a solenoid, to move away to make a high beam. making it even faster than halogens.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    aww ganun pala..balak ko sana magpakabit nung so called projector type na hid, uhmm ok po ba un?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    aww ganun pala..balak ko sana magpakabit nung so called projector type na hid, uhmm ok po ba un?
    kung bi-xenon projector po yung headlight, ok po yun. but the price will be atleast 14,000-up. or you could get a projector headlight assembly. yung salpak nalang na headlight, then get a HID kit.

bi-xenon Projector low to high beam video:

this HID has recently been used. if the bulb is not warm, it would not lit that fast... and this is the fast way to flash high beam on HID since there is only one filament per bulb.

sample of bi-xenon:

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Having HID lights installed in one's car is only advantageous on the part of the driver using it. However, as regards the other road users, it is disadvantageous. Why? It is due to the fact that the visibility of the other motorist on the opposite side of the road is greatly prejudiced. It causes too much glare, which, in effect, raises the propensity of figuring in an accident. Aside from that, it is very annoying.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolodeon View Post
    Advantage:
    1.) Clarity
    2.) Supposedly allows the driver to "see more" at night as it mimics daylight
    3.) Last way longer than ordinary incandescent bulbs.
    4.) Coolness factor

Disadvantage:
    1.) Causes a lot of glare for on-coming traffic, especially when the grounds are wet as the light reflects from the wet ground. Could cause an accident.
    2.) As the color of the light emitted is white, light doesn't cut much through the...atmosphere on days that are foggy or during heavy rain compared to normal incandescent bulbs that has a yellowish-colored light.
    3.) Expensive

AFAIK, HIDs are mostly used for low-beams. However, I see a lot of idiotic, HID-totting car owners out there that have their expensive HID lams on full burn i.e. high beam. This causes a lot of discomfort drivers coming from the opposite direction as it causes glare that hurts the driver's eyes, thus temporarily bliding the oncoming driver. On dark roads where street lighting is poor or non-existent, drivers blinded by oncoming traffic may get involved in an accident.

Nothing wrong with installing a HID. Your car, your money to burn. If you do install a HID, one small request: don't be like those idiots that I'm talking about - be a responsible driver/owner.
    Very well said mein freund!

I have questions though.

1. Is it true that winking (pagbati using headlights) is a no-no for HID? Since this powerful and all.
    2. I'm assuming that HID eats up battery power quicker, since they are awfully bright.

I have 99 Galant VR V6 , and the lights are very low! I think no one will be offended even if I used the HIGH BEAM! I had passenger once who even told me to open the my headlights, when in fact it already is! What an insult! That is why i'm planning to buy 'em HIDS! But my wife thinks otherwise. Any of you guys know a place for cheap HID's? With good quality of course!

8. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    sorry double post..
    Last edited by glntVR; February 22nd, 2009 at 08:28 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexxx View Post
    Very well said mein freund!

I have questions though.

1. Is it true that winking (pagbati using headlights) is a no-no for HID? Since this powerful and all.
    2. I'm assuming that HID eats up battery power quicker, since they are awfully bright.

I have 99 Galant VR V6 , and the lights are very low! I think no one will be offended even if I used the HIGH BEAM! I had passenger once who even told me to open the my headlights, when in fact it already is! What an insult! That is why i'm planning to buy 'em HIDS! But my wife thinks otherwise. Any of you guys know a place for cheap HID's? With good quality of course!
    1. Flashing(winking) is a no-no for HID. Not that its powerful, but it's because of the gases inside the bulb. Too technical to explain. hehe And it would also ruin your ballast.
    2. As far as I know, this is the common misconception when it comes to HID. HIDs(most of them) are rated at 35watts so compare that to your stock 55watt halogen bulb, it should consume less power. But there are 55watt kits available.

Regarding your headlights, I used to drive the same car as yours and have full windshield tints. Never had a problem with the visibility. I find the light sufficient(not bright but sufficient). Your problem may be any of the ff.
    1. Type of bulb, I would suggest getting Philips X-treme Power or Osram Night Breakers. They are brighter than stock bulbs but have the same wattage so no upgrades needed.
    2. Your problem might be with the headlight assembly.
    -Could be that the reflectors and glass are already dirty and needs to be cleaned
    -Misaligned beam. Try to check whether your headlight is properly aimed.
    3. As far as I know your car comes with fog lights. Check whether they are in good condition and if they are, try using stock bulbs or better than stock bulbs and that would really help.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexxx View Post
    kung visibility lang hanap mo. better upgrade wires/ground, clean, align the headlights.

with HID, it is potential to glare other motorist, even less visibilty for you.

just look at the road, not the light:

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Advantage and Disadvantage of HID Lights