New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Just curious why most vehicles specifically SUVs are being sold half their price when the age is 6 years or below.

I know they depreciate very fast, but is it actually practical to sell at that price and lose money, granted the car has been used for that long?

Maybe most of those for sale were foreclosed, but the ones where the owners are the sellers?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Actually, half the price at 6-years is still good. A lot of sedans hit the 50% mark by year 4.

In the market today, it's pretty much a buyer's market with the multitude of choices and ready financing. Those who could only scrape together their hard earned cash to buy a second hand vehicle, can now go to the dealer, fork over the DP and drive away in a brand new vehicle. If you want to buy a new car after 3-5 years, you really have to take the depreciation hit.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Utility vehicles tend to depreciate slower than passenger cars. My pickup was still at 50% at 7 years. Our Innova was also close to that when we sold it at 8 years. But yeah, the advent of cheap(er) and easier financing has really put a dent on second hand prices.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r2 View Post
    easier financing has really put a dent on second hand prices.
    Was contemplating on financing as well, but I did some computation, the interest that's going to be on top of the price plus the downpayment and the depreciation value of the car come maturity of the loan didn't bode well with my plan so had to scrap that idea.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Bile kayo old 5 year-old Fortuner saka Montero, tapos ma ceramic coating nyo, bsck to original lahat pang-ilalim. Di pa kayo maka 1.3M - price of new PPV.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by minicarph View Post
    Bile kayo old 5 year-old Fortuner saka Montero, tapos ma ceramic coating nyo, bsck to original lahat pang-ilalim. Di pa kayo maka 1.3M - price of new PPV.

Heavy steering..
    Brakes arent as good..

Those are my main concerns with older suvs. Hindi ko pa natry yun vnt fortuners. How is the diesel clatter on that?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    2nd hand car prices will dive if the government decides to remove the "coding scheme"

Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Actually, half the price at 6-years is still good. A lot of sedans hit the 50% mark by year 4.

In the market today, it's pretty much a buyer's market with the multitude of choices and ready financing. Those who could only scrape together their hard earned cash to buy a second hand vehicle, can now go to the dealer, fork over the DP and drive away in a brand new vehicle.
    I totally agree with this...

You can price your car half a million pesos but if now one is willing to buy it, you'll have to lower the price sooner or later just to take that car out of your garage.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Willing buyer, willing seller. That sums it shall.

Buying cars nowadays is nothing. Virtually anybody can do it.

Parang sari-sari store.na rin banks.to offer their car loans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Diesel clatter of the old diesel suvs..
    Heavy steering..
    Brakes arent as good..

Those are my main concerns with older suvs. Hindi ko pa natry yun vnt fortuners. How is the diesel clatter on that?
    The last gen 2.5L VNT is still clattery. For me if I have to get a previous gen PPV it has to be much, much cheaper. The new ones are too good.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Basta guaranteed cars to sell at 50% to 60% market value after 5 years:

Montero D
    Fortuner D
    Commuter D
    Grandia D
    MUX D
    Hilux D
    Vios G
    Corolla G
    City G
    Mirage G
    Wigo G
    Ecosport G
    Ranger D
    Everest D
    Innova D
    Adventure D
    Crosswind D
    Jimny

Cars less 40% to 50% after 5 years

- All Hyundai D
    - SOme Korean D
    - all Suzuki cars
    - Trailblazer
    - CRV, RAV4,. Subaru CUVs, CX5, Xtrail, Juke
    - Accent
    - Mazda 2

Cars Lower than 30% after 5 years

- Explorer, Exped
    - all Chevy small sedans
    - all Korean small hatch / sedans
    - ASX
    - Lancer

Cars that will be hardest to sell after 5 years, maybe a few individuality buyers

- Mazda 3, Mazda 6, cX9 Camry, Accord,
    - all Sanyong
    - all Foton
    - all other remaining Subarus

And then of course cars that can sell at 70% of its vslue after 5 years
    - T86
    - FJ Cruiser
    - Land Cruiser
    - Pajero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast