New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Wait for the new prius it's gonna be a whopper.

:fly:

Edit ls600 = :drool:

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GasJunkie View Post
    You do know prius came out first than the new golf right???
    Sometimes principle is better than money.

Yeah I saw that comment on the Prius too, in What Car? magazine I think. But this one's the first generation, and its replacement is significantly more economical. Still, the VW Golf diesel is just a whisker behind in economy.

Hybrids, in general, have to be built cheaper. As was mentioned, a Prius will cost 1.9M if imported here. That's the same as the top-spec Camry with the 3.5 V6 engine. As for break-even, I'm pretty sure you will hand it to your son way before that.

For now, hybrids are bought by those who are concerned with the environment, not fuel economy. The technology is not a bad idea at all, but it's still not perfect enough and cost-effective to justify the wiseness of choosing it over an equivalent gasoline or diesel counterpart.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    I got the prius info on wiki.

Hybrid will benefit us sooner than later. I never said everyone should get one, only pointed out to the skeptics the future is here.

Edit I personally don't care what people drive what I do care is people putting down something just beacause they couldn't afford it( or pretend they could).

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    If everyone was like my dad we would be stuck with the bag phone.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GasJunkie View Post
    You do know prius came out first than the new golf right???
    Sometimes principle is better than money.

You do know that the Mark IV Golf that came out as the same time as the first Prius was still wider than the current Prius, and much wider than the first generation one, right? And the current generation Prius still has less hip and elbow room than the old Golf. And compared to the new Civic and Focus? It's a model generation behind.

The Prius is a compact car in size. The only real bonuses for the new Prius (the next generation will be many many years away, since the current one was released only in 2004) is the leg room, but overall, the Prius fits neatly into the compact size category in every way.

The only area in which the Prius actually counts as a midsize is in weight, as, at 1.7 tons, it's heavier even than the "porky" 1.3 ton Focus and Golf.

----

The Prius isn't about principle. It's a premium performance car, much like the Subaru Impreza or Mitsubishi Evo. But in this case, performance connotes fuel economy, not acceleration...

If you really wanted extreme fuel efficiency, the Honda Insight was it... of course, it was horribly impractical, thus it died a quiet death.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    For a 97 car still looks pretty new to me.

prius is everything a car should be but not a performance car. true

Edit mkiv = ???? don't really follow volks
    Last edited by GasJunkie; October 1st, 2006 at 06:22 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    if its a 03 jetta those cars are teh suck.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Mark IV connotes the 1997-2003 Golf variants.

Volkswagens may not be the most reliable cars, but they have very nice and comfortable interiors... still, I'd prefer a diesel Corolla or Civic.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    My classmate has one never heard anything good from him.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Maraming Lexus RX400H sa gray market dealers ha at mayroon ring Toyota Highlander at Camry Hybrid...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Why Hybrid Not Coming to Philippines?