New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    im thinking of either getting another ride for my everyday to office. because my camry only gets 6lm/l and also laging sumasayad kase lubak lubak sa may factory namin. everyday sumasayad papasok and pauwe.

so my plan was to get a pickup that would cost me around 300K to 400K.. hilux or strada.. for my everyday during weekends will use my camry.

but when i realized what will happen to my camry if i get this pickup. i would just use it on weekends, so im giving myself an option to sell my car and add the money for the purchase of the pickup to get an suv. but its hard for me to sell my car becuase of its sentimental value.

im thinking of getting a late model fortuner 2.7 then have an conversion for lpg. pajero bulldog which is converted, lastly patrol GQ but still its my last option because we have one already which my dad uses. and im thinking of having gas fed engines than diesel because of the computation that diesel engines wouild need more frequent change oils than gas fed and also of the rumors that gas and diesel prices will almost be the same.

if you have any suggestions or any ideas that would help me out. TIA!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Why not opt for the Nissan X-trail. The 2.0L 2WD gets around 7km/L in city driving and its as comfortable to ride in as most bigger sedans. The cargo area is lined with a plastic flooring which makes it more practical than most SUVs with their carpet-lined cargo area. If you need more serious offroad ability, the 2.5L 4WD version is available but gets less kilometers per liter but still retains the same ride comfort.

LPG conversion is easy enough with the donut tank cleanly hidden under the rear cargo deck.

This means this can be your everyday duty car as well as weekend vehicle. Selling your Camry later can offset the cost of acquiring the Xtrail.

BTW, X-trail looks great in midnight black with big wheels.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    nothing against xtrail. but i really don't like the interior that much.

im also thinking of getting a jimny ofr everyday and having it converted to lpg to be more efficient.

what do you think ser?

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Go for the Diesel Variant

Line in SUV:
    Chevrolet Captiva
    Hyundai Tucson
    Hyundai Santa Fe

Diesel engines get better fuel economy simply because they do not need to burn as much fuel as a gas engine to get the same power. Diesel engines are also built heavier than a gas engine to sustain the added stress of the higher compression ratio. Diesel engines do not have an ignition system so you will never have to tune them up. Exhaust systems last longer because diesel fuel exhaust is not as corrosive a gasoline engine exhaust.

one example, a toyota innova diesel fuel mileage is 11.27 kilometer per liter (AT) while gasoline fed toyota innova is only 8.0 kilometer per liter (AT)

Diesel fuel has higher energy content than gasoline, and diesel performance is usually better in terms of engine output. These factors also mean that vehicles running on diesel put less global-warming pollution into the air.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    thanks ser. iba parin nga diesel. but im not contemplating with brand new still. because of the depreciation.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    while still undecided....
    how about lpg conversion for your camry..
    and some body lift...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Papatag mo nalang yun kalye sa factory ninyo :D

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    BTW, that's one fine Camry you got there.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by odell View Post
    nothing against xtrail. but i really don't like the interior that much.

im also thinking of getting a jimny ofr everyday and having it converted to lpg to be more efficient.

what do you think ser?
    Jimny is really small, I was able to drive one and I was shoulder to shoulder with the guy in the passenger seat. Shifting to the higher gears would require saying "excuse me" because you'll be brushing your hand against the passenger's leg. While that is nice if your passenger is a cute & ***y girl, it might be another thing if your passenger is a guy with very hairy legs and wearing shorts at the time.

And I feel the Jimny is to basic. It's not a bad thing but when compared to the likes of a Camry or Xtrail or similar class, it's a far comparison.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; July 13th, 2008 at 12:33 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    so, if i read this right, you are getting a new car whose only purpose is getting fuel economy?

if so, isn't it:
    late model Fortuner = P1M+
    LPG conversion kit = Php ??

total incremental expense is P1 million plus. even if LPG is half the cost of gas, and your total fuel bill is cut in half, you might need a thousand fill-ups (magkano ba typical full tank?) just to recoup the price of the new car.

even if you buy a P400k used pickup you probably will still have to fill up hundreds of times to break even.

now, if you are replacing the Camry anyway, then that's a different story. if your only reason for buying a new car is fuel economy, then might as well just learn to drive more efficiently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
what do you think would be the most fuel saving in the long run?