New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    95 lang? napakababa naman yata para sa premium gasoline.

ano kaya ilalabas ng petron? :D

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    for the benefit of non 4x4ph member:
    JohnQPublic said
    Haha... We have a partnership with Shell regarding the launch of this due to their use of the company Ferrari. V-Power replaces Velocity and should be used when 93 RON (equivalent to around 87-88 U.S. pump octane) is insufficient to prevent knock. Regardless, V-Power, Caltex Gold and Petron Blaze have the benefits of more detergents and additives.

I don't use it cause it's expensive and I drive a measly Sentra... Still, I recommend the highest grade gas for those that can afford it and it is what we recommend for Jaguars, Land Rovers and Ferraris.

Wolfden said
    Shell V Power's key point as per our interview with the german who was part of the formulating team is that it has better "Lubricating' qualities at the top end of the piston cycle which is lessened with the newer engines due to higher compression ratio's as compared to older engines. ex. is a toyota 2t engine compression ratio is about 7:1' back when it was produced. modified they go up to 9 t0 10:1, nowadays a stock corolla engine would have a compression ratio starting with 9:1
    JohnQPublic said
    Anyway, virtually all BMWs require 95 RON so you have no choice since regular Shell Unleaded is only 93 RON. 95 RON is only about 91 U.S. pump octane so there nothing extreme performance about it. Even some Hondas will require 95 RON, so will many regular Benzes and every other sports car out there. Check your manual or gas filler flap, if it says 95 RON or higher, you have no choice but to use V-Power, Gold, XCS or Blaze.

95 RON gas is nothing special. Caltex Gold is 95 RON and so is Petron XCS. Petron Blaze is 96 RON.

None of us need these fuels if our vehicles only require 93 (approx. 88 U.S. pump octane). However, many cars require more than 93 RON and this is what we need to put in, if ever.

As for carb and older EFI vehicles, running higher octane gas will allow greater spark advance before knock.

This is what Shell's site has to say: http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...s_ga_1602.html

Is Shell V-Power suitable for motorbikes, snowmobiles, & marine engines?

Shell V-Power is perfectly suited for all gasoline-powered engines, including motorbikes, snowmobiles, inboard and outboard marine engines.

What is the octane rating of Shell V-Power?

Octane ratings for premium gasoline vary across the country (U.S.). The octane level of Shell V-Power is anywhere from 90 to 93 octane, depending on the region. Note: This is U.S. pump octane which translates to 95 to 98 RON (Research Octane Number. Octane unit that we use in the Philippines.).

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    i agree w/ the last post & imho, they're all basically the same (i.e. shell's v-power, caltex gold & petron blaze). it's just a matter of branding & marketing strategies which usually lures a customer to one product instead of the other. kung baga sa gamot, basta certified generic ay pareho lang. so, for me, i buy the cheaper one peace...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTO
    nah... the RON's all I need to know. 96's barely passable but a 97-98 would've been better.
    Um... I don't think that there are locally available vehicles that need more than 96RON here.

So it would be quite pointless to have a 97-98 RON gasoline since that is just a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by momoyster
    it's still 95 ron. i loaded my bimmer already. they handed me a little pamphlet outlining v-power's features. basically, the only difference from the previous velocity is that v-power has friction reducers daw and removes carbon deposits left on the valves
    That's true... they have this "friction reducer" that they developed from Formula1 racing.

Though the effects of this additives and whatnots may vary from vehicle to vehicle. If you want just plain 95RON gasoline, there's Shell Premium.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Mine does & it's stated in the manual. I once placed in octane booster to reduce knock and that did the trick and did it beautifully. Kaso na lang it's a hassle to keep on doing that. At one point I was even thinking of going for jet fuel with 100-110 RON but was adviced that it was too corrosive for cars or was it too unsuitable.

Elsewhere in the world V-Power/Optimax is 97-98 RON.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimax

True there is a very microscopic market for higher than 96 RON but there are still people who really need it per car manual. A lot of these owners compromise on Blaze or do the octane booster bottle bit.

There are some local cars that only needs 91 RON lang. I think it was either the 96 Accord, 98 CR-V or the 99 SiR.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    Um... I don't think that there are locally available vehicles that need more than 96RON here.

So it would be quite pointless to have a 97-98 RON gasoline since that is just a waste of money.
    Last edited by OTO; July 9th, 2006 at 11:49 AM.

6. Join Date
    May 2004
    buti na lang masipag si kimpoy ipost yung topic sa 4x4ph.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Addicted mga tao sobra sa high RON without understanding that 95 is already more than most cars will need hehe... I see/hear so many people with regular sub-2.0 NA cars with only IHE or some bolt-on mod and claim that they "REQUIRE" 96 up... Kahit Porsche nga tumatakbo ng maayos sa 95 eh.

8. Join Date
    May 2004
    hehehe, agree theveed. kaya nga magandang basahin yung post sa 4x4ph eh. if the manual states 95 ron or lower then thats it.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hehe i have never been a fan of higher RON kahit noong may hawak pa kaming gas station...for my mz3, I use gasoline with RON 93 dahil yun ang nakalagay sa manual...lalo na sa mga modern engines ngayon eh di mo kailangan ang sobrang taas na RON...

personal observation ko lang noon ay mas maganda ang fuel economy ko sa RON 95 vs RON 93 sa karburador na makina (corolla xe)...sa EFI engines halos walang pinag iba...

Caltex has Techron (Vortex Silver at Gold noon),Shell has V-Power, ano kaya ilalabas ng Petron????

para sa akin pare-pareho na lang iyan pagdating sa fuel additives...sa presyo nalang nagkakaiba at sa RON...i prefer using gasoline with RON 93, tipid pa

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tama si miko.... V-power is velocity's successor. marketing and branding lang yan...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Shell's V-Power: RON is what?