New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Ever since getting my Kia Rio last September, madalas kong alalahanin yung fuel consumption ko dahil parang masyadong matakaw sa gas yung kotse ko. Ang sabi ng mga mas marurunong sa akin, observe ko lang daw muna, hintayin ko daw umabot ng around 5K yung odometer para lumuwag at mag-set yung mga mechanical parts... hintayin kong muna yung first preventive maintenance para ma-tweak yung dapat i-tweak at subukan ko daw yung performance ng sasakyan sa long drive.

Now that I've done all that, pwede pong humingi ulit ng advice whether or not I should have my car assessed by Kia for poor fuel efficiency? Please see these numbers below:

Car: Kia Rio 1.4L A/T Sedan (not Hatchback)

Bought: September 1, 2012 (brand new, not used)

Odo (as of today): ~5000 km

Over the weekend, nagpunta kami sa Clark from Manila. I had my car refilled to full tank sa Petron station in NLEX (Marilao) and reset my "Trip" counter to 0. From there, I drove at around 80-100kph to the Angeles exit. Then from the Angeles exit, city driving speeds naman ako to Clark. We stayed in Pampanga for the weekend, also driving around at city driving speeds before going back to Manila on Sunday afternoon via NLEX again. Then this morning, I also drove from Pasig to Makati, then from Makati to Fort during morning rush traffic from 6:30am - 8:00am.

As of now, my "Trip" reading is 220km. Out of that 220km, 130km accounts for the NLEX driving and the other 90km accounts for driving around Pampanga and Manila City proper.

My fuel gauge is only around 1/3 full. So, my rough estimate for my current fuel consumption given all of that is 10km/L since nagpa-gas ako sa Petron NLEX Northbound.

Thoughts on this? Opinions if this is bad, good or average for the mixed driving I did over the weekend?

On a normal month, I only use the car to go to and from work. From 6:30am - 8:00am, I go from Pasig to Makati and then to Fort. From 5:30pm - 8:00pm, I go from Fort to Makati then to Pasig. Here are my milages since Feb:

Feb 14 - 190km - 5.9km/L

Mar 1 - 174.8km - 5.5km/L

Mar 15 - 164.5km - 5.0km/L

Mar 20 - 155.4km - 5.1km/L

April 1 - 174.6 - 5.4km/L

Basically I just want to know if it's the car or it's the traffic especially now that I've tried driving along NLEX. If it's the car, ganito lang ba talaga ang Kia Rio Sedan?

Comments and suggestions please? Thanks!

For more background, here is another thread I created several months ago: Should I have my car checked for poor fuel economy? Or are these numbers still ok?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    That's NOT normal.

Kung mixed, sana man lang pumalo ng 13-14km/L since eco driving ka pa sa expressway.

It's the car, honestly. I've been doing italian tune ups last holy week and I never got a 5km/L consumption. When I went up North, I averaged at 140-150kph and I never got 10km/L. 14km/L pa rin.

Sent from my 3210 using Tapatalk HD Premium

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by valacirca View Post
    My fuel gauge is only around 1/3 full. So, my rough estimate for my current fuel consumption given all of that is 10km/L since nagpa-gas ako sa Petron NLEX Northbound.
    Sayang ang effort since you did not factor in the fillup on NLEX. Of course you already know that the fuel gauge is not a good way to measure consumption. On that long trip pwede sana full tank before you leave then zero out the trip meter, log all the fillups on the way, full tank again when you get back and get the final distance, compute against all the fillups during the trip.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    ^ I haven't needed to fill-up yet after filling-up at NLEX on the way to Pampanga.

On my next fill-up, I'll get the actual numbers though.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    That's NOT normal.

Kung mixed, sana man lang pumalo ng 13-14km/L since eco driving ka pa sa expressway.

It's the car, honestly. I've been doing italian tune ups last holy week and I never got a 5km/L consumption. When I went up North, I averaged at 140-150kph and I never got 10km/L. 14km/L pa rin.
    Is this also with an automatic?

What would you recommend? How should I report this to Kia and can something be done about it?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Get first the actual numbers.

Some factors to consider:
    - We're you idling a lot?
    - Was your car fully loaded during the trip?

BTW, Pasig to Fort is kinda traffic AFAIK and the distance is not too far so your FC may be lower as well.

On a week where i do a mix of QC - NLEX - Pampanga - QC - Makati - Mandaluyong driving i go anywhere between 10km-11km/L on my m/t 1.6L vehicle.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Get first the actual numbers.

Some factors to consider:
    - We're you idling a lot?
    - Was your car fully loaded during the trip?
    Idling a lot happens during morning trips to work and evening trips back home.

Here are some actual numbers from my usage over the weekend until Tuesday, sir. I just loaded up yesterday morning again.

Distance travelled = 242.9km

Liters used = 26.420L

Fuel Consumption = 9.19km/L

Breakdown of distance travelled / mixed driving:
    60km = NLEX northbound * April 06, afternoon (w/ 3 passengers)

55km = Travelling around Angeles City, Balibago & Clark * April 06 afternoon = April 07 afternooon (light - moderate traffic; w/ 3 passengers)

70km = NLEX southbound * April 07, afternoon (w/ 3 passengers)

22km = Entering Manila & travelling back to Pasig * April 07, evening (moderate - heavy traffic; w/ 3 passengers)

16km = Pasig-Makati-Fort * April 08, morning (~6:30-8) (moderate - heavy traffic; w/ 1 passenger)

16km = Fort-Makati-Pasig * April 08, evening (~5:30-8) (moderate - heavy traffic; w/ 1 passenger)

4km = Pasig. Refilled on the way to Camp Aguinaldo * April 09, morning (light - moderate traffic; w/ 2 passengers + three mountain bikes on read mounted rack)

Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    BTW, Pasig to Fort is kinda traffic AFAIK and the distance is not too far so your FC may be lower as well.

On a week where i do a mix of QC - NLEX - Pampanga - QC - Makati - Mandaluyong driving i go anywhere between 10km-11km/L on my m/t 1.6L vehicle.
    Thanks for the info! How would you assess the numbers above for my A/T 1.4L car though?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Seems a little poor.

I used to do EDSA trips everyday:

730AM-830 8KM EDSA White Plains - Makati
    530PM-630 8KM EDSA return trip

Scored 8KM/L on our 1.8 Civic.

I think it will be more accurate if you fill up when the fuel is about to hit empty.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Problems lie within the car talaga. Rio ATs are commonly known to have weirdly poor FC.

I dont know if Kia will do something about it but you'll lose nothing if you try to report it.

Sent from my 3210 using Tapatalk HD Premium

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Nakapalakas sa gas ng oto mo! I could get 6-7km/l on a traffic congested EDSA from my Innova 2.0L VVTi MT. I know mine's a manual pero 2.0L naman yun and seats 7. May mali dyan! Baka may ECU upgrades din kayo like dun sa Accent 1.4GL before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast