New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I'm not sure how it is for diesels, but presumably the higher euro rating also calls for fewer/smaller contaminants. That's possibly good for the injectors as they work at very high pressures, and even small impurities can score the moving parts inside.
    And yes, kasama na dun sulfur. You'll read stuff that says sulfur is a lubricant, but it's actually not. It's just that the cheapest process of removing sulfur also reduces the lubricity of the fuel. A cleaner fuel with a lubricant additive is still better than the older fuel with high sulfur content.

On the gasoline side if you remember those old BMW M52/M60 engines with Nikasil liners that would eventually go bad -- newer gasoline with very low sulfur actually makes them safe to use now. The degradation of the liner was caused by the sulfur in the fuel reacting with the Nikasil. BMW eventually changed to a different liner, but if you have one of those old engines today you don't have to worry about the issue anymore because fuel today is sufficient low sulfur that it no longer damages the cylinders.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    I am just curious about a comparison between (if an engine doesnt require it)

Euro 4 premium diesel vs euro 5 regular diesel

What can you expect from each given you are running a euro 2 engine?

Just curious because we have no requirement for any premium diesels. I understand some euro diesels need them so its catering mainly for that market.

So, for the added cost of euro 4 premium diesel, is there any actual benefit for a euro 2 engine? Or would it just be better to run euro 5 regular diesel at no extra cost.
    Use EURO 5 regular Diesel.

For a EURO 2 engine, there's potentially no discernable difference in performance between using EURO 4 or EURO 5. However, EURO 4 has 50ppm of sulfur where EURO 5 only has 10ppm of the same. Suffice to say, EURO 5 is better for the environment that also provides no ill-effect on engines certified for EURO 5 or lower.

If the vehicle has a DPF, it must use EURO 5 or 6 Diesel fuel.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    IIRC 2021 Innova. I remember seeing his post in the Innova vs CR-V discussion.
    the current Innova does not need to be filled with "premium" diesel. It can be filled with premium but there are no significant changes to the engine's performance. It runs fine with a regular grade diesel fuel. It also has no DPF on the 1GD-FTV engine.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post
    the current Innova does not need to be filled with "premium" diesel. It can be filled with premium but there are no significant changes to the engine's performance. It runs fine with a regular grade diesel fuel. It also has no DPF on the 1GD-FTV engine.
    tama, 2021 innova diesel ang tsikot ko, mukang di ko nga kailangan ng premuim diesel kase di naman nakalagay sa users manual na kailangan premium diesel (min cetane 48 or higher) kung ikukumpara sa gasoline eh malinaw sa users manual na kailangan ng premuim (RON95) gasoline tulad ng Geely Okavango 1.5L turbo Direct Injection at 2022 Nissan Almera turbo

pero ano kaya sasakyan na diesel ang nangangailangan ng premium diesel?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    ako ang komparo ko lang eh yung petron diesel max vs turbo diesel.. sa 2gd engine ng fortuner gamit ang 2 butas ng aking ilong.. mabantot ang usok ng diesel max kumpara sa turbo diesel..

kahit yung kia carens namin dati, mas mausok sa diesel max..

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    sorry for the question.

here sa Pinas. whats the difference between normal and premium diesel?

At least sa petrol, I know na the more expensive the fuel, the higher the octane.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post

For a EURO 2 engine, there's potentially no discernable difference in performance between using EURO 4 or EURO 5. However, EURO 4 has 50ppm of sulfur where EURO 5 only has 10ppm of the same. Suffice to say, EURO 5 is better for the environment that also provides no ill-effect on engines certified for EURO 5 or lower.

meron na ba euro5 diesel sa pinas? mas mahal talaga ito if DENR does check for sulfur content..

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    meron na ba euro5 diesel sa pinas? mas mahal talaga ito if DENR does check for sulfur content..
    Unioil, I'm sure. Since about 4 years ago pa? Unioil offers complete line of Euro 5-compliant fuels in PH | Philstar.com

Fuels | Unioil

9. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jresperanza View Post
    tama, 2021 innova diesel ang tsikot ko, mukang di ko nga kailangan ng premuim diesel kase di naman nakalagay sa users manual na kailangan premium diesel (min cetane 48 or higher) kung ikukumpara sa gasoline eh malinaw sa users manual na kailangan ng premuim (RON95) gasoline tulad ng Geely Okavango 1.5L turbo Direct Injection at 2022 Nissan Almera turbo

pero ano kaya sasakyan na diesel ang nangangailangan ng premium diesel?
    possible sa mga expensive luxury diesel powered vehicles mostly european made tulad ng Maserati, Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, BM and even VW SUVs at sedans na diesel engine "required" sa kanila pero they can run din naman ng regular grade diesel fuel.

Usually not totally required lagyan ng premium diesel. They only recommend to fill in it to have better performance of their diesel engine.

10. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post

This was my thought as well, for regular Euro 2 or Euro 4 Diesel Engines.

I did try Premium Diesel before on the Montero but butt dyno didn't feel any different between regular and premium diesel (this was before Unioil Euro 5). So I just went back to regular diesel, before eventually shifting to Unioil Diesel.

---

So, given that the requirement for premium diesel must lie with those most Euro makes/brands, would they not have any issue moving to regular Euro 5 diesels then? Is there really a noticeable difference for them when they run regular vs premium diesel?

Because running a petrol engine that requires premium unleaded with regular unleaded (95RON vs 91RON) will make the ECU adjust with the "lesser" grade fuel in the tank. Still don't understand the "premium" side on the diesel for it.

Someone mentioned the Cetane Rating of diesels but I haven't stumbled upon it being mentioned at all in diesel manuals, but we've never really had anything remotely close to a vehicle that "may" require use of premium diesel so I can't really reply from the "premium" user's standpoint/experience.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast