The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002

Click on the photo for other details.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    that means 31km/l *_*

baka naman wala nang spare tire yan? tsaka ano ano pa ang tinanggal at talagang to the brim ang pag full tank. tsaka nag neu-neutral yan kapag downhill. lol

who needs hybrid? ehhy?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    With the incentives for breaking the record, that goes without saying.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    may nakasabay ako na isang blue na jazz na ganyan sa edsa sa may bandang megamall-shangrila, ba'y parang wlang upuan sa likod kasi wala ako makitang headrest at tumatakbo lang ng mga 35kph sa innermost lane kaya lahat nagooverake sa kanan...

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 170kphlang View Post
    may nakasabay ako na isang blue na jazz na ganyan sa edsa sa may bandang megamall-shangrila, ba'y parang wlang upuan sa likod kasi wala ako makitang headrest at tumatakbo lang ng mga 35kph sa innermost lane kaya lahat nagooverake sa kanan...

OT: Iyan ang masama sa driving style nating mga Pinoy,- hugging the innermost lane kahit na napakabagal..... Dapat diyan.....#$%^&* !

5202:threadmil:
    Last edited by CVT; January 26th, 2008 at 01:17 PM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I am appending the previous Petron Xtra Mile Challenge in 2006.

They were able to do 1400.4km on a full tank at that time. So, this year's new record is just 2.0Km farther.....

2006 Petron Xtra Mile Challenge
    spacer
    Suspense till the last drop of fuel

By RON DE LOS REYES

During the week of May 29 to June 3, I immersed myself into my role as driver of Team AR (Auto Review) which was one of the six finalist teams in the 2006 Petron Xtra Mile Challenge – a fuel economy run that challenged teams to go the farthest they can on a full tank of fuel.

Prior to this, I had a week of practice runs that brought me as far south as Legazpi City, covering close to 2,500 kms to see if I could duplicate or even come close to my 41 kms/L record in the Honda-Petron Amazing Fuel Eco in 2004 on board an automatic 1.3L Honda Jazz.

We spent the first two days attending a driving clinic by race legend Pocholo Ramirez who set the record of 1,114 kms on a full tank of Xtra Unleaded in April, 2005, and by doing final practice runs from Petron-Marilao NLE to Tarlac City and on to Pagudpud in Ilocos Norte.

My navigator, Julienne Cruz, and I used our Jazz’ aircon three-fourths of the way but decided not to turn it on during the competition when we saw significant fuel savings from the others.

The first day covered 433.3 kms from Bangui to Tarlac City. We were the second team to go after the 5 a.m. flag off.

When we reached Tarlac City, our support team composed of Andre Palma and Ernie Garcia who were on our lead car said our fuel looked good with the indicator still slightly above the full tank line.

The second leg was the longest at 524.6 kms passing from Tarlac City through the three expressways – NLE, SLE and the STAR Tollway. Here, we averaged 50 to 70 kph maintaining not more than 1,500 rpm. Passing EDSA at around 5:45 a.m. was a breeze.

At the STAR Tollway, we decided to close all our windows and depended only on the car’s blower for air. If we had to save as much fuel, we had to sacrifice more.

Our fuel was slightly above three-fourths when we reached Lucena’s Margarette Hotel where we had lunch and a two-hour break. The organizers said half of the remaining 210-km run to Naga consisted of 81 kms of rough and winding roads on both the Quirino and Andaya Highways. We felt we saved fuel by going on neutral on the long downhills of Atimonan, Gumaca and Calauag, Quezon.

While we saved fuel on the long and smooth stretches, we were forced to burn some on the pot-holed and badly maintained roads of Quirino and Andaya. Still, we had over one-fourth fuel left when we reached Naga. That should be enough for us to reach Matnog in Sorsogon. Our reading: 957.9 kms.

The third day was for the dreaded run-out but also the day we would cross the 1,000 km mark and the 1,114 km record. We, however, got lost for a while on, of all towns, Ligao in Albay, forcing us to do expensive backtracking. To everyone’s surprise, all six teams reached Matnog at 1,161.5 kms.

The Jazz warning lit up some 30 kms. before Matnog. Our friends from Honda Quezon Avenue, Oliver Orido and Lourdes de la Cruz, said we could still add 200 kms on the Jazz’ reserve fuel if we drove efficiently on the open highway. We waited six hours to board a ferry that would bring us to San Isidro, Northern Samar.

The organizers, however, decided to cancel the run-out in Samar due to safety reasons. I felt my adrenaline drop because I was looking forward to run out in Northern Samar.

Taking the 5 a.m. ferry back to Matnog on Day 4, I had two more engine starts before our sixth and final engine start. Team AR was second on the grid behind Team de Perio of Mark and Mina de Perio who represented South Luzon on the lone City 1.3 manual model. After a few kilometers, I saw Team Eco Run of Randy Ravena and Jann Antonio pass us and the rushing Team R2 of Randolf Mencias and Allen Abarintos. Both teams represented Metro Manila. We passed one another twice but I had no idea how the other teams – the 37th Team of Mike and Grace Asuncion and the Zayco Hermanos were doing.

We maintained our own pace and when we finally saw Team Eco Run stalled on the road (at 1,280 kms.), we had a mixed feeling of victory and anxiety since we could be the next.

After an agonizing 36 kms more, we saw Team R2 on the sides who waved at us at 1,316 kms. Then at 1,322 kms., Team de Perio was sporty enough to cheer us. We were already assured of third place.

The saddest part of the drive came when we reached Brgy. Banao in Guinobatan, Albay. Our car’s engine started to crackle. After almost humping over the second crest, the engine said goodbye. I held the steering wheel tight and thanked the Jazz for the long drive which gave us 1,333.7 kms on a full tank.

We were kept in suspense but when Team Zayco of Kabankalan, Negros Occidental passed us after 15 minutes, we knew they were in contention for 1st place. After a while Team 37 from Aliaga, Nueva Ecija came and it was just a matter of time before we knew the winner.

Tootsie and Mansu Zayco pushed their fuel and their blue Jazz to the limits and ran-out at 1,400.4 kms to set a new record and win the P100,000 prize while the Asuncions were close at 1,390 kms. for second place and a prize of P75,000. Our team brought home P50,000 for landing third. All the six teams had earlier won bonuses of P100,000 each for passing the 1,000 km mark and for breaking the 1,114 km record.

The Petron Xtra Mile Challenge was supported by Honda Cars Philippines, Smart 3G, PLDT WeRoam and PLDT myDSL.

5202:threadmil:

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Wow. Congrats again to the Zaycos!

If Petron holds this competition again I can smell a hat-trick in the offing for these guys.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    FYI:
    Given the Jazz's 42L fuel tank, the Zaycos actually made 33.39 km/L. That's 78.81 miles per US gallon!

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    hehe. Interestingly enough, shell is currently circulating ads bragging about the xx% increase in mileage their customers have

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    so if it's advertised that the jazz has a 42l fuel tank...does that mean that including the reserve... it's gonna be about 47 liters?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Petron Xtra Mile Challenge Record Broken!