New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2009
    What are the advantages?

First of all I dont know why many motorist are so excited with Euro 4 fuel. Euro 4 fuel by all means is good for the environment because it will emit lesser sulfur dioxide due to its lower sulfur content in the fuel. A lesser sulfur fuel mean also a lesser lubricating properties for our engines pumps and valves the same way a lesser lead content does for all gasoline engines.

If your old diesel engines are not designed to handle a lesser or no sulfur lubricant then it will fail early than normal. Solution? find an alternative lubricant for the missing sulfur. Search the web and you will find some diesel engines in Europe using natural 2T oil(not the synthetic 2T) mixed with their diesel on small amount as an alternative lubricant for euro 4 fuels.

Happy research to all.

Correct me if I am wrong. But these are European Emission standards. You need and Euro Standard compliant fuel and compliant vehicle for it to work.

We do not have a working corporate emission standard system so we might have a "cleaner" fuel but our vehicles can still have dirty emission.[/QUOTE]

2. Join Date
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    ito daw ang differences : "the cetane level in turbo diesel is higher than diesel max..cetane is equal to octane for gasoline" and " if long drives it better na pure turbo diesel para ramdam mo yunhlg power...if short trips in manila diesel max is fine"

that's from my schoolmate who works at petron.
    Sir ilan na daw po ngaun ang cetane rating ng turbo diesel and diesel max? kasi ang euro 4 diesel ng unioil is rated at 55 cetane rating while seaoil is 52-53, total naman 50

3. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Yung diesel max ng petron cetane 55 na yan noon pa.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by granro01 View Post
    What are the advantages?

First of all I dont know why many motorist are so excited with Euro 4 fuel. Euro 4 fuel by all means is good for the environment because it will emit lesser sulfur dioxide due to its lower sulfur content in the fuel. A lesser sulfur fuel mean also a lesser lubricating properties for our engines pumps and valves the same way a lesser lead content does for all gasoline engines.

If your old diesel engines are not designed to handle a lesser or no sulfur lubricant then it will fail early than normal. Solution? find an alternative lubricant for the missing sulfur. Search the web and you will find some diesel engines in Europe using natural 2T oil(not the synthetic 2T) mixed with their diesel on small amount as an alternative lubricant for euro 4 fuels.

Happy research to all.

Correct me if I am wrong. But these are European Emission standards. You need and Euro Standard compliant fuel and compliant vehicle for it to work.

We do not have a working corporate emission standard system so we might have a "cleaner" fuel but our vehicles can still have dirty emission.
    [/QUOTE]

The reduction of sulfur does not necessarily mean a reduction in lubricity for EU-spec fuel. For a certain fuel to pass ANY Euro certification, it has to posses certain properties... a minimum level of lubricity is one of these parameters. (Look-up EN-590)

Although sulfur has been attributed to providing lubricity to the fuel, in its reduction or absence, a lubricity package is added to replace it in order to maintain a minimum lubricity figure. This is so that the fuel, even with reduced sulfur, would still pass the Euro certification.

Simply put, whether if it's a Euro I or Euro VI fuel, it will have the same or similar lubricity.

For those science heads... the maximum defined lubricity for a fuel to pass the EU cert is 460μm (lower is better), using the high frequency reciprocating rig (HFRR) test method. By comparison, the Euro counterpart in the US uses the ASTM D97 specification, which defines a maximum lubricity of 520μm. This makes the Euro-spec Diesel fuel better in the lubricity specification compared to Diesel fuel sold in the US.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by granro01 View Post
    What are the advantages?

Happy research to all.
    The reduction of sulfur does not necessarily mean a reduction in lubricity for EU-spec fuel. For a certain fuel to pass ANY Euro certification, it has to posses certain properties... a minimum level of lubricity is one of these parameters. (Look-up EN-590)

Although sulfur has been attributed to providing lubricity to the fuel, in its reduction or absence, a lubricity package is added to replace it in order to maintain a minimum lubricity figure. This is so that the fuel, even with reduced sulfur, would still pass the Euro certification.

Simply put, whether if it's a Euro I or Euro VI fuel, it will have the same or similar lubricity.

For those science heads... the defined lubricity for a fuel to pass the EU cert is 460μm or lower (lower is better), using the high frequency reciprocating rig (HFRR) test method. By comparison, the Euro counterpart in the US uses the ASTM D97 specification, which defines a lubricity of 520μm or lower. This makes the Euro-spec Diesel fuel better in the lubricity specification compared to Diesel fuel sold in the US.
    Last edited by oj88; October 7th, 2015 at 03:48 PM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Saang Petron branches may Euro 4 Diesel na? Nagpakarga ako knina sa may UN Avenue, di pa raw available sa knila.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Petron along EDSA corner Main St. In Cubao has signs that all of its fuels are Euro IV.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Wala pa ko nakikita dito sa Las Piñas area na petron with euro 4 diesel.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    *granro01
    Why wouldn't you be excited about cleaner emissions? How about the benefit of you and your next generation getting a better chance at improved health and higher life expectancy. As oj88 said there will be something in it to replace lost lubricity.

I don't think Petron will risk billions on products that will kill off their customer base. Majority of diesel sold is used by commercial trucks with euro 2 engines. It's in their best interest to keep those engines running.

Every time I go to Manila and see this cloud of smog over and around the city skyline I feel lucky to only have to go there when I need to, which is rarely. Euro 4 fuel probably won't get rid of it but every little bit helps. Something being done is better than nothing.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    *granro01
    Why wouldn't you be excited about cleaner emissions? How about the benefit of you and your next generation getting a better chance at improved health and higher life expectancy. As oj88 said there will be something in it to replace lost lubricity.

I don't think Petron will risk billions on products that will kill off their customer base. Majority of diesel sold is used by commercial trucks with euro 2 engines. It's in their best interest to keep those engines running.

Every time I go to Manila and see this cloud of smog over and around the city skyline I feel lucky to only have to go there when I need to, which is rarely. Euro 4 fuel probably won't get rid of it but every little bit helps. Something being done is better than nothing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast