New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2017
    asses the situation then decide for the best option to do..

2. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Salamat sa inputs pero meron ba tayong technical o scientific o mechanical explanation na 'HINDI MALAKAS ANG FUEL CONSUMPTION PAG NAG START NG ENGINE?"

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by danegoesonline View Post
    Salamat sa inputs pero meron ba tayong technical o scientific o mechanical explanation na 'HINDI MALAKAS ANG FUEL CONSUMPTION PAG NAG START NG ENGINE?"
    Simple lang sagot diyan - the car uses minimal fuel to start up the car. You use up electrical energy to power your starter, you use a bit of fuel to get the engine running from a standstill. You use slightly more fuel if the engine needs to warm up, but that's not much of a problem in our climate.

The whole ignition process takes a few seconds. In comparison, idling burns fuel for several minutes.

You want an objective metric? Find a way to measure the fuel flowing through your fuel line during startup and compare that to the fuel used during idling.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by danegoesonline View Post
    What's the problem ba? Either way malakas or Hinde, which in this case Hinde. Eh kailagan mo pa rin naman talaga start kotse mo Diba?

So you really don't have a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    No. Mas malakas sa gas mag-idle ng matagal kaysa magstart ng makina.
    The breakeven point is roughly 10 seconds. Yes, just 10 seconds. If you'll be idle for more than 10 seconds, better to just turn off your car.

Thank you Jut ... this is something I've always wondered about ... anyone know how much cost of gas a vehicle actually consumes when idling with aircon on for an hour? ... say for a 2.5 diesel engine and a 2.0 gas engine ...

Of course, don't shut off your car whenever you're stopped at an intersection. Aside from being a nuisance on the road, you also can't run your aircon properly with the engine off.
    And you'll also wear out your starter and car battery earlier ...

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Nasasayangan talaga ko mag-idle, really bad for FC.

... and also not good for the environment ... idling only whenever there are short distance errands since it's not good for a vehicle to be doing too much short distance driving ...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Thank you Jut ... this is something I've always wondered about ... anyone know how much cost of gas a vehicle actually consumes when idling with aircon on for an hour? ... say for a 2.5 diesel engine and a 2.0 gas engine ...

And you'll also wear out your starter and car battery earlier ...
    Answers are here:

Fact #861 February 23, 215 Idle Fuel Consumption for Selected Gasoline and Diesel Vehicles | Department of Energy

Typical 2 liter sedan (gas and diesel): 0.65 liters per hour
    Typical 4.6L V8: 1.5L per hour

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    ... and also not good for the environment ... idling only whenever there are short distance errands since it's not good for a vehicle to be doing too much short distance driving ...
    Dahilan lang Car Manufacturers yan para mas mabilis mag wear yung engine kakastart. Saka lang nagkaka metal to metal contact sa bearing yung mga camshaft, crankshaft at connecting rod during start-up and shutdown. Pinakamalaking wear ng engine ay during start-up pagkatapos ng change oil & oil filter. Pag inalis filter babalik sa oil pan yung langis na nasa pick-up tube. If 1,000 RPM startup, 16 revolution per second.

Mas madaming fuel iniinject diesel kesa gasolina dahil walang throttle body diesel (except old Mbenz). Ang diesel puno palagi piston sa intake stroke. Pag gasolina konti lang papasok na air kasi na close almost yung throttle body sa idle. Kaya lang naman mabilis maubos gasolina dahil sa pesteng EVAPORATIVE EMISSION. Sa halip na icondensed yung mga nagiging vapor pinapasunog sa catalytic converter w/o producing power. Kung wala sa loob ng fuel tank ang fuel pump napakatipid ng gasolina. Here's a good explanation from Ford about EVAP.

"In relatively recent years, emissions regulations have become so stringent that the government is now regulating the emissions output that gasoline vehicles are allowed to produce even when the engine is not running! This is referred
    to as “evaporative emissions” and results from unburned hydrocarbons (raw fuel) emitting into the atmosphere from the fuel tank, fuel lines, injector leakage, intake manifold, etc. when the engine is shut off. This is the fundamental purpose of the charcoal canister (and hydrocarbon trap in the air-box on many vehicles) and is also the reason that Ford switched to the Returnless Fuel Systems (RFS) found in production vehicles today. These systems have only a fuel supply line from the tank to the engine, with no return line. The primary reason for these systems is that evaporative emissions increase as the temperature of the fuel in the tank increases. On a conventional return system, the fuel is sent to the engine through the supply line, and the excess is returned (via the mechanical fuel pressure regulator) to the tank through the return line. Since the engine is hot, this process heats up the fuel and thus increases evaporative emissions. To combat this, the returnless fuel systems were invented"
    https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...ingEFIComp.pdf

9. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Despite having unli-gas, I always shut off my engine whenever parked.

Pag mainit na, baba ng kotse and tambay somewhere.

Nasasayangan talaga ko mag-idle, really bad for FC.

Sarap nyan, unligas. Hehehe

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Answers are here:

Fact #861 February 23, 2�15 Idle Fuel Consumption for Selected Gasoline and Diesel Vehicles | Department of Energy

Typical 2 liter sedan (gas and diesel): 0.65 liters per hour
    Typical 4.6L V8: 1.5L per hour

Displacement lang yung 2.0, sukat lang ng bore & stroke ng lahat ng cylinder. Depende sa Horsepower ang size or flow rate Fuel Injector.
    185hp 2.4 4 cylinder Inline = Fuel Injector 28lbs/hr (estimated)
    210hp 4.2 V6 = Fuel Injector 21lbs/hr
    220hp 4.6 V8 = Fuel Injector 19lbs/hr
    235hp 5.4 V8 = Fuel Injector 19lbs/hr

Mas matipid ang Return Type Fuel System kesa Returnless pag idling basta full tank. Pag below 85% lang kasi gumagana EVAP pag return type. Di pati nakakapag purge EVAP sa idle pag return type. Pag nag purge sa idle EVAP mag stall engine. Pag returnless palaging nag pu-purge EVAP kahit naka idle lang. Mas matipid sa gasolina pag SUV pag return type. Naka balagbag kasi yung Fuel tank at malapit sa muffler pag kotse. Lahat ng diesel Fuel Injected pero di naman lahat nasa loob ng fuel tank. Napakalaking kalokohan ilagay sa loob ng fuel tank yung fuel pump pag gasolina kasi napakababa ng boiling point.

Marketing slogan lang yung "Environment Friendly". Basta narinig mo yung salitang yon ibig sabihin masakit sa bulsa dahil malaki nagastos sa ads at promotion. Best example yung Ethanol. Pano magiging environment friendly yon mababa yung mileage. Mas madami kang kailangan sunugin. Dagdag pa sa traffic yung mga tanker na truck sa polusyon para itransport yung fuel. Magagato kasi pipeline dahil conductive ethanol. Ang pinaka masama pa napaka hygroscopic kaya malakas sumipsip ng water vapor from air. Pati gasolina may expiration na rin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast