New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    hindi po. kung makaka-tyempo ng low-mileage at maintained well eh jackpot
    yun. but importante yung physical na pwedeng makita at marinig. kahit medyo
    mataas na mileage kung pasado sa hanap mo dun ka na.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    check mo rin kung totoo yung mileage nung 19k. 2005 model pa pala tapos 19k lang, kahina-hinala. Yung car namin na July 2006 binili, wala pang 1yr, currently 18k na, may mga kapalitan pa yun.

Pero kung ako, sa condition nung car ako titingin, mileage is just a number - a number that can be cheated that is.
    Depende din naman sa gamit. Baka naman yung may 19k, 2nd or 3rd car sa garahe, while yung naka 32k nag-iisa lang. Our Starex, for example, has been with us since July 2005, pero has only close to 7t kms on the clock. No tampering or anything, just not used as often.

Anyhow, in general, tampering aside, (but of course, you can't totally discount that, what with some unscrupulous sellers we have nowadays) mileage is just a number. Like what mbeige said, the overall condition of the car will tell you if it's been cared for or abused. Perhaps the 32k car you saw looked newer than the 19k car. Maybe its daily route from Metro Manila to north and/or south provinces instead of purely in the metro. Highway miles, though quicker to accumulate, are less stressful to the engine, compared to city accumulated miles.

Just be aware of "cosmetic" temporary fixes that the seller may have done to make the car look and/or feel newer. It would be best to bring a trusted mechanic to have a comprehensive look at the car, or a friend who can do the same. This way, you're more assured that the car is ok, or perhaps, since they're a third party, you're decision-making is not clouded by your want to buy a car.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last sunday I saw this white corolla (99 model) at a car exchange place in Pasig, ok sana yung car pero when I saw the mileage (24,000km) nagduda ako parang too good to be true so I just walked away.
    I think u have to look at the overall package...if the car's condition is really nice....well maintained, such as the engines etc...i think d naman cya kahinahinala....

I had a corolla 95 gli that I sold last year and around 48k lng un mileage but almost 11 years na un...but when the buyer saw the condition of the car...d cya nagtaka...cya pa ang nangulit na bilhin na...coz my dad really didnt want to sell d car...well maintained kc sobra and bihira lng gamitin...

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    For european cars lower mileage is a bad sign. that means the car is in the shop getting fixed more often than it is being used. Also european cars are proned to stuck up so if you dont use it often it would deteriorate.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LEB View Post
    For european cars lower mileage is a bad sign. that means the car is in the shop getting fixed more often than it is being used. Also european cars are proned to stuck up so if you dont use it often it would deteriorate.
    Let's not rush to conclusions. Lower mileage European cars may also be well-kept, because it's a Euro car the owner may have garaged it more than his Japanese cars (for daily use).

All cars will sooner or later get stuck up if not used. Cars love to be driven, sometimes hard. If it just gets stored, that's another thing to worry about.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    kung 2 years ago lang check mo muna gulong, assuming yun stock gulong pa din ang gamit. then check the mileage. dyan mo makikita kong dinaya ang meter

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    Nung bumili nga kami ng liteace 80km lang... As in 80km lang. Pero binili namain kasi maganda from the interior to the exterior. Basta Don't look sa numbers. Look for the durability and performance.

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    I think year model is more important than mileage.
    Yung Civic nga ng sister ko, April 1996 pa pero nasa 30K pa lang ang takbo, 1992 liteace ay nasa 140k pa lang, 2002 starex ay 40k.
    If you can get the maintenance history, the better. Suwertihan lang ang pagbili ng kotse, meron akong nababalitaan na good driver, kabago-bago ng car, dami nang problema, buti na lang panay warranty pa.
    Ask a person who knows and drives cars for a long time and let him suggest if it's ok, not necessarily a mechanic but preferably a car enthusiast.
    Good luck sa hunting.

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    it depends bro.

look for the service records of both cars since both are still practically new. they should both have service records IF they have been serviced properly by the dealer. this proves that the owner took proper care of the car. this is also important since both cars are under two years, both are covered by the 100K km or 3 year warranty. the dealer would be needing this to see if the cars were serviced during the specified intervals.

yung interior kasi napapadetail kaya most of the cars na nakadisplay sa mga carlots eh nadetail na labas at loob kaya mukhang malinis at sariwa.

happy hunting!

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    not necessarily. may mga high mileage na well maintained. meron naman, low mileage nga, halos walang maintenance na nangyayari ( walang palitan ng langis, fluids, etc.).

low mileage also means that, the vehicle might be used in city driving only
    which translates to higher wear and tear because of the stop and go driving.
    Last edited by ian_rex; June 4th, 2007 at 11:47 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Is lower mileage always better?