New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    mga peeps and gurus:

Helo naman..a client of mine is asking me to test his new invention, a gas fuel saving device, which he claims can save a lot of fuel and boosts the power of cars. My problem are as follows:

1. Is there a standard procedure for testing the fuel consumption of cars? I plan to test the gadget using the Before (without the gadget) and After (with the gadget) procedure at two driving scenarios namely; city driving and highway driving.

2. Is there a prescribed distance and speed for testing fuel consumption of cars? how many kilometers should i run the test car and at what average speed?

Hope you can help me....thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    hmmm anu to yung bagong UVX ba yun? hehe please refer to the KHAOS thread nalang.. sobrang haba ng discussion doon makikita mo din suggestions on how to test

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Have a full tank up to the brim (not automatic), re-set the odometer reading to 0. When the fuel gauge reaches its half mark, refill with gas up to the brim again.

Then divide the kms reading with the liters pumped in.

For consistency do it three consecutive times and try to re-fill at the same gas station, same gas pump and same hour of the day. Meaning if you put in gas at 7am, when you refill, it should be around the same hour.

Gasoline molecules tend to expand during hot part of the day. It's best to fill up early morning or late evening.

Try to look and feel for any deviation in how your engine runs and mark the condition of your oil before and after the test.

Fuel saving device like Khaos and others have been debunked in this forum, and rightly so. Your friend's gadget may just be an imitation of the khaos principle.

How does it work? how do you install it? Any pics?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    This testing is best done over the span of a month. Those three full tanks per test should be alternated:

1 Full tank (no device)

1 Full tank (device)

1 Full tank (no device)... etc.

In this way, you'll be able to see the difference more easily (if there is one). Also, best to take the same route everyday, same times, and same Aircon settings. (To keep temp and engine load between tests as close as possible) Minimize idling time, extraneous trips to minimize differences.

As it is, if the difference between the three full tanks without the device is greater than the difference to the tests with the device, then the savings aren't statistically significant.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    I would also suggest doing it on several different cars, and doing it blindly, as in the drivers don't know whether the device is installed or not, because knowing one is installed might make the driver light-footed on the gas.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    First, define the device/gadget: what is the device's function?

- Is it a mechanical device that controls the flow of either air or fuel?
    - Is it a magnet where it is clamped around the fuel-line?
    - Is it an electronic device meant to "regulate" power from the engine to all electrical loads on the vehicle?
    - is it an electronic device connected to the engine's ECU to adjust the engine's operating parameters?
    - Is it an air turbulence generator installed in the engine's intake?
    - Is it an exhaust system "add-on" where its supposed to enhance the overall engine efficiency and clean emissions at the same time?
    - Is it a "special" sparkplug?
    - Is it an oil or fuel additive/treatment which enhances the oil/fuel's properties?

pictures might also help...

Quote Originally Posted by sugoi_yats
    mga peeps and gurus:

Helo naman..a client of mine is asking me to test his new invention, a gas fuel saving device, which he claims can save a lot of fuel and boosts the power of cars. My problem are as follows:

1. Is there a standard procedure for testing the fuel consumption of cars? I plan to test the gadget using the Before (without the gadget) and After (with the gadget) procedure at two driving scenarios namely; city driving and highway driving.

2. Is there a prescribed distance and speed for testing fuel consumption of cars? how many kilometers should i run the test car and at what average speed?

Hope you can help me....thanks in advance!

7. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Thank you guys for all your suggestions! Ill will combine all your suggestions para maging accurate and impartial ang gagawin kong testing.

Sorry I cant post any pics of the device right now becuase the inventor will not allow me. In fact, sinabi nya sa akin na mey komopya na raw sa device nya...ayaw nya daw maulit uli.

Anyway, in principle, his device is like a turbo charger coz it uses compressed air to enrich the air in the combustion chamber and at the same time it atomizes the gasoline fuel in addition to the function of the injector, and some atomized water is also injected with the fuel. Kaya he calls his device as some sort of a hybrid mechanism. I saw it installed in his car. When he started the engine, there was no knocking whatsoever and the engine was running smoothly. He said he uses only the 2nd gear because of too much power and he's afraid that the body of his car might not be able to take the additional stress if he shifts to 3rd - 5th gear. Although, this is something that I have to verify myself. Mga two years na raw nya ito nakabit sa kotse nya and he had his engine opened already to check kung mey nasira sa engine nya..so far wala daw. Di ko natanong ung transmission nya.

The device is quite simple but he said it will take 2 to 3 days to install it. As of now, very crude pa yong gadget nya. Ung lalagyan nya ng compressed air came from a junked air compressor tank at yong lalagyan nya ng tubig is just a Coke plastic bottle. Nakakatawa nga pero parang amazing din. At sa tingin ko sa inventor hindi naman mukhang baliw. Matino naman kausap. Kaya gusto ko itest yong device nya kung talaga totoo ung pinagsasabi nya.

Thank you guys for your suggestions! Kung mey maidagdag pa kayo, you are very much welcome!

May the Force be with you all!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by sugoi_yats
    He said he uses only the 2nd gear because of too much power and he's afraid that the body of his car might not be able to take the additional stress if he shifts to 3rd - 5th gear.
    This is a dead give away that something's amiss.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sounds suspiciously like a system using two fuel saving systems together.

First system is to change the air-fuel ratio. In this case, slightly compressed air is pumped into the car's intake. Since the car's sensors/ecu cannot compensate for the denser air, the engine will end up running slightly lean.

Second system is water injection. A water atomizer is used to spray mists of water into the engine intake. Correctly me if I am wrong but water injection has two benefits in this case. First it will prevent detonation in the engine by keeping temperatures below the threshold. Second, when the air-fuel charge is ignited, the water will turn into steam and provide some power.

===============================

From what I understand about water injection, it can provide minor fuel savings by itself. But the problems of water contamination (of the motor oil) and rust prevents widespread testing by private individuals.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    This is a dead give away that something's amiss.

can you say "engine knock"? I suspect that happening at higher engine loads/rpm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Help: New fuel saving device testing procedure