The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    any insights/feedback on this?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by forxcrawler View Post
    any insights/feedback on this?

they use the same fuel cetane number but low sulfur. quicker in response, quieter and burns cleaner. sometimes you can't distinguish which is which on the road until you see the "D" on the tail. new developments led to better fuel mileage and low emissions

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Our fuel is struggling to make Euro II compliance. The cars that are coming out today are already at Euro V. Although these are just emission standards, I think that the mix or chemical composition is still sub-standard and dirty for the kind of technology that's available today.

Nonetheless, I still go for a diesel. Diesel technology today is more efficient (and more powerful) than gas. If its any indication, more than 40% of European cars are already diesel. Go figure.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    Our fuel is struggling to make Euro II compliance. The cars that are coming out today are already at Euro V. Although these are just emission standards, I think that the mix or chemical composition is still sub-standard and dirty for the kind of technology that's available today.

Nonetheless, I still go for a diesel. Diesel technology today is more efficient (and more powerful) than gas. If its any indication, more than 40% of European cars are already diesel. Go figure.
    ic, will our diesel being poor, cause major problems to those engines like choking, clogging of fuel lines, etc.?

yep i'm really amazed with how fuel efficient today's latest diesel engine, imagine 22km/L? :D

i hope our diesel fuel can catch up with euro diesel, i dont know if the price will catch up also. Or they can offer people another line of diesel like premium diesel (w/c is a euro V compliant of course)haha i think the fuel consumption of euro V diesels can still compensate the price increase, in an assumption that they(oil players) dont price it ridiculously.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Some manufacturers refuse to release their latest or most powerful diesels here because of the fuel... Case in point: BMW refuses to release the 35d equipped models because of concerns with the fuel. The 300hp 3.0 straight six 35d engines are highly strung, and they're worried about warranty issues if the owner puts in a batch of bad diesel.

If we do go Euro V with the diesel, it will cost around 50 pesos at the pumps. Most consumers will not like that... and the government will not be able to justify a subsidy for diesel that will only benefit "rich" owners of CRDi cars. Though they will happily continue to ignore air quality issues in the metro and subsidize fuel for smoke-belching buses and jeeps that don't even have catalytic converters or particulate filters... simply because it's the "makatao" thing to do...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Some manufacturers refuse to release their latest or most powerful diesels here because of the fuel... Case in point: BMW refuses to release the 35d equipped models because of concerns with the fuel. The 300hp 3.0 straight six 35d engines are highly strung, and they're worried about warranty issues if the owner puts in a batch of bad diesel.

If we do go Euro V with the diesel, it will cost around 50 pesos at the pumps. Most consumers will not like that... and the government will not be able to justify a subsidy for diesel that will only benefit "rich" owners of CRDi cars. Though they will happily continue to ignore air quality issues in the metro and subsidize fuel for smoke-belching buses and jeeps that don't even have catalytic converters or particulate filters... simply because it's the "makatao" thing to do...
    aww... i feel bad after reading this. is this the main reason why the subaru boxer diesel still not in our shores? and other local euro car seller not importing diesels, is there no way to make those cars compatible with our substandard diesel fuel?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009

I agree. I'm sure a lot of them are holding back. This is precisely why my blood boils over government officials. For the lack of planning and foresight, the people are always short changed. When will we ever progress?!!!

If you think about it, the solution here is an effective and efficient transport system. Then we reduce the number of vehicles on the road, and the commuting public is not compromised. Those who can afford premium diesel can drive quality vehicles. I for one commute if I think the route is convenient to take i.e. Makati MRT to QC (Trinoma MRT) or other MRT/LRT stops. Its cheaper, its faster, and there's less hassle.

But back to topic, I think people won't mind paying for a premium diesel if it saves mileage either. But then again, at this point that would be selfish, right? Sigh.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    i dont mind paying for premium diesel also they can opt to not replace our existing diesel, so why can't they introduce/launch another line of diesel selling them side by side with our diesel today? is there because no market? is there no collaboration between car dealers and oil importers/refiners?

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The problem is manifold.

While the government would like to promote light-rail transit within the city, it has to subsidize the construction and operation of these rail lines, since, to compete with buses on pricing, they would have to operate at a loss. Actually... no public transport system really achieves ROI without government help...

Bus companies make a profit because they rely on roads built by the government and are exempt from the regulation covering used vehicle import bans. And to further subsidize bus and jeep operators, the government subsidizes diesel, too.

This is because government officials don't want to piss off the special interest transport groups. These groups have become so important to the city that they merely drop the word "strike" and the PSEI drops ten points... So the diesel situation remains. To subsidize private operators because there are just so many of them, and competition is so fierce, that they're in danger of losing all semblance of profit margin (too many buses/jeeps vying for too few commuters).

If the government were to do the environmentally responsible thing and upgrade our diesel straight to EuroIV or EuroV, they'd have to justify a reason for allowing public transport to use the cheaper and dirtier "regular" diesel (at least it's now EuroII, I think) and they'd have to explain to the public why you won't be legally allowed to use that diesel for your Crosswind or Tamaraw. It'd be a complete mess.

This is also why it's difficult to implement projects like, say, the e-Jeepney or, better yet, CNG or LPG buses and jeeps. To compete with a system so deeply entrenched in subsidies and tax breaks and exemptions from roadworthiness requirements (if you don't enforce them... then that's an exemption) requires a concerted effort from government to equally subsidize the new system or to enact unpopular taxes on diesels and secondhand engines/bodies. Me? I wish the government would give me a 100k pesos tax break on my car for converting to LPG. I'll take it in cash, please.

In the end... we all lose. For the sake of special interest groups who are becoming more and more marginalized because they're clinging to an outmoded and poorly organized system that can't support growth and doesn't provide enough profit to allow for continuous improvement of service.

-

It's all politics and special interests. Just like the garbage idea that E10 is good for the environment (because it isn't)... they did it supposedly to support agriculture (which it doesn't, since we still import a lot), without considering the consequence to the regular taxpayers who get stuck with higher fuel bills and unnecessary maintenance costs caused by the system... when instead, they should have just asked gas companies to set aside one pump for E85 to encourage people to go completely alternate fuel... voluntarily... as they do with LPG. Let consumers take an informed risk, instead of shoving the crap down their throats.
    Last edited by niky; February 3rd, 2010 at 01:07 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007

It's all politics and special interests. Just like the garbage idea that E10 is good for the environment (because it isn't)... they did it supposedly to support agriculture (which it doesn't, since we still import a lot), without considering the consequence to the regular taxpayers who get stuck with higher fuel bills and unnecessary maintenance costs caused by the system... when instead, they should have just asked gas companies to set aside one pump for E85 to encourage people to go completely alternate fuel... voluntarily... as they do with LPG. Let consumers take an informed risk, instead of shoving the crap down their throats.
    I agree, they shouldn't shove things to our throats if the government doesn't care/know what's good for us. Let the people make the decision not eliminate options of people. Doing public service half heartedly just makes the majority of people pay for their actions.

Latest European Diesel Engine compatible or not with our local diesel?