New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: How do you drive your SUV?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4x2 SUV so 2wd only

8 72.73%
  • 4x4 SUV mostly in 2wd

1 9.09%
  • 4x4 SUV using 4wd only in adverse conditions or off-road

0 0%
  • 4x4 SUV using 4wd all the time

2 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    2wd mode? 4wd mode?

ASPW advocates always keeping it in 4wd. Big increase in safety and no difference in fuel economy daw. I think it makes sense because even if you disengage the front drive, the front wheels will still be turning the front axles and differential, so the additional drag from having the 4wd components is still there. I tried with two generations of Pajero and can't really see the difference. The traffic has a much bigger impact on the overall fuel economy.

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    I believe this will hold true for newer 4WD / AWD vehicles because their designs allow for more efficiency even at high speeds.

I can't say the same for older cars equipped with the transfer case and locking hubs. I used to have an old Jimny/ Samurai and whenever we engaged the 4-wheel drive option, it was quite slow and guzzled gas like it was a an 8 cylinder powerplant. Even at the 4-high setting.

JMHO.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    From my experience with a 2013 Strada 4x4, engaging 4H on the mountain twisties gives it a significantly heavier feel. According to the MID, fuel consumption also took a hit, going down by more than 2km/L, IIRC.

Unless the car is equipped with full time 4WD, I see no benefit of driving on 4H all the time, especially in the Philippine driving environment.

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    4H / 4L for slippery terrain.
    2wd for typical usage.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    pag apat pasahero, 4x4 mode
    pag 2 pasahero, 4x2 mode

6. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Minimal to Mid-Maximum Usage pag dating sa 4x4..

Kung Extreme Abuse na... Extreme off-road condition in a certain group(s) na off-trail...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    kapag normal driving 4x2

kapag rough road, umuulan at basa kalsada 4x4

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    From my experience with a 2013 Strada 4x4, engaging 4H on the mountain twisties gives it a significantly heavier feel. According to the MID, fuel consumption also took a hit, going down by more than 2km/L, IIRC.

Unless the car is equipped with full time 4WD, I see no benefit of driving on 4H all the time, especially in the Philippine driving environment.

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk
    I think it feels heavier because you get a bit more understeer when the front is engaged, not because of driveline losses. The tradeoff is if you get into a situation where you have swerve or floor it, the car doesn't fishtail.

New Everest 2wd vs 4wd combined fuel consumption goes from 6.9li/100km to 7.1li/100km. 0.2li difference lang over 100km. I don't trust the MID. On my Pajero CK I did 680+km in 2wd, then 850+km in 4wd and there's really no difference. A minor change in traffic will have bigger impact.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    normal condition and rainy city roads - 4x2
    rainy and unfamiliar provincial roads including parking ramp - 4x4H

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Mine is symmetrical AWD so it adjusts accordingly to keep all 4 wheels on the ground all the time. On city roads, I put the engine setting in Intelligent mode. On the highway, I set it on Sport mode. On high speed driving (over 150kmh), I set it to Sport#. On rough terrain at low speeds (below 30 kmh), I set it on X-Mode and the engine will set proper power delivery and braking to each wheel to keep traction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast