New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    mga sir ,

Help naman po on what are the steps in driving an AT car/suv?puro po kasi MT ride namin and been driving for 15 years+ na but never driven an AT.

Basically according sa mga nabasa ko its purely right foot na lang pala nagagamit, since no more clutch.

pls correct me na lang po if im wrong with the steps that i am thinking when i drive an AT ,

1. during Start Engine dapat naka "P" yun selector di ba?
    2. when going forward na ,just slowly depress the gas pedal lang the AT transmission will auto shift according to your speed a right?
    3. If in traffic or stop light dapat naka"N" dapat right?
    4. in using the Shifttronic or manual mode , if the vehicle is already running say 80 kph then you want to use the manual mode ,either in doing engine break or plain "trip trip lang" , me button ba na pipindutin ka to shift from D to the "+" and "-" na since the column for the manual mode is on the side of "D" pa di ba.
    5. in changing the stick pala from "P" to " D" ,or "P" To "R" or any position , me pinipindot ba dun sa stick mismo ;something like a lock ?

appreciate po sa lahat ng inputs and bis of knowledge na maitutulong nyo sa kin mga sir and maams

regards and be safe always

2. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    1. during Start Engine dapat naka "P" yun selector di ba? yes. it should be in P. magstart din siya sa N pero for safety, always leave your car in P before turning the engine off.

2. when going forward na ,just slowly depress the gas pedal lang the AT transmission will auto shift according to your speed a right?

Pag nastart mo na, depress the break first before shifting from P to D or R. Let go of the break, aandar na siya dahan dahan then depress the gas gently. tantyahin mo muna ang response. pag sanay ka na pede na din not so gently hehe and yes it will shift on its own according to speed. after some time matututunan mo din i-force siya mag downshift like when you need to overtake.

well hinde naman dapat naka N. pede din naman naka D. just step on the breaks. pero siyempre, to conserve gas. you can shift to N. or P.

4. in using the Shifttronic or manual mode , if the vehicle is already running say 80 kph then you want to use the manual mode ,either in doing engine break or plain "trip trip lang" , me button ba na pipindutin ka to shift from D to the "+" and "-" na since the column for the manual mode is on the side of "D" pa di ba.

ang alam ko wala nang pipindutin. i dont know sa ibang models. somebody else can maybe clarify this. kung gate type transmission yan, mas sure ako na walang pipindutin to move to the +/- column. then again, others can clarify.

5. in changing the stick pala from "P" to " D" ,or "P" To "R" or any position , me pinipindot ba dun sa stick mismo ;something like a lock ?

yung mga traditional na automatic, meron pipindutin. depends on the model. gate type wala na. again, others can clarify.

what car are you geting ba?

appreciate po sa lahat ng inputs and bis of knowledge na maitutulong nyo sa kin mga sir and maams

regards and be safe always

enjoy your new car. ako pansin ko, habang tumatanda ako, mas naapreciate ko ang automatic transmission. less stress at pagod siya. although siyempre nung kabataan ko ( bata pa din naman ako, wala pang 30 hehe) medyo speed freak pa ako non. and for me, automatics are for sissies hehe. but now, i love automatic na. siyempre i love manuals too. pero kung malaki naman makina e hinde ka naman malulungkot na naka automatic ka.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    1. during Start Engine dapat naka "P" yun selector di ba?
    Yeah. Some AT won't start if the selector is not in "P".

Yup. Besides heavy pressing in the fuel pedal only increases your fuel consumption. Especially with heavier cars like an SUV or those using diesel. Slow and smooth.

No. But it helps so you can keep your foot off the brake pedal more often. And I believe this is engine brake so you idle and consume less fuel. However even in N the car could move forward or backwards depending on the road incline.

It varies. With a CVT car (my car is CVT, the older SUV is AT) which has such toys, you can do this but I rarely bother.

Mine has. Almost all automatics I saw have a button of some sort that you press before shifting.

The other options (or maybe your SUV has removed these?) like L, S, S1, S2, etc. are also there in some automatics. They are like gear range limiter (so you stay in low gears only, etc.). Also OD buttons, Power buttons, etc. etc.

HELP:1st Time drivng an AT SUV