New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Hey experts and fellow Ford Lynx RS owners, I just got a Lynx RS CE and it was okay until I noticed the gas consumption. I loaded a 1000 on it Tuesday and it was almost 3/4 full, after two -three days, it has gone down near empty. I know how 2.0 gobble up gas and I've driven other 2.0 cars, but this was kinda insane. I drive San Juan, near the LTO to Ateneo. After checking the odo it's a 10 km drive. I've been observing my car and I'm not sure if I smell gas. I just want to know what you guys think? Is this how Lynx RS's are? Cause I plan on bringing it to a shop to have it checked.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Three-fourth tank is roughly 37.5 liters. Three days of traveling at 20 kms. per day is only 60 kilometers. That's only 1.6 kilometers per liter!

That's really insane. The worst I've done in my RS is roughly 4.5 liters per kilometer. And that's really hard driving as in red lining most of the time.

Better have you car checked. The mixture may be very, very rich.

Better still, have a Unichip installed. Depending on how far you drive, you can recover the investment within a couple of months to a year. And it's pure savings after that.

Before I had my Unichip installed, I used to average around 5.6 to 6.5 kpl, city driving (got a heavy right foot). Out of town trips would be between 9 to 10.5 kpl. After Unichip, I'm averaging 7.5 to 8.5 kpl, city driving. Highway driving would be around 12.0 to 13.5 kpl. That already includes occasional aggressive driving.

BTW, have your RS listed at the RS Registry at fordclubph.com. There are already about 35 of us registered there (out of the only 220 units released in the country). We've also a thread there on RS modifications.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the advice FWC, really really helped! I think there's something wrong with it. I've already registered but they haven't activated my account. I've already tried resending it like 10 times. You think you can help me?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'm checking your activation now.

Not much else we can say except for you to check your MAF (have it cleaned) and your O2 sensors... does it run funny? Hesitation? Roughness?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Since you also just got the car, bring it in to the shop for a engine check-over (tuning, filters, etc...) start with the basics.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Any bumper-to-bumper traffic on your route? Do you keep the engine running (so the A/C can operate) while say, waiting for someone? These are just some of the fuel economy (FE) killers.

Anyway, by my computations, you're most likely doing anywhere between 3-3.5 km/L.

Almost 3/4 tank = ~35 liters
    Almost empty = ~15 liters

Used fuel is 20 liters for 60 kilometers traveled = approx. 3 km/L

You can do a proper computation by doing a full tank (automatic shut-off at the pump) and resetting the trip odometer. Disregard at this point how much fuel was loaded in your car.

Use the car as you normally would until almost empty or when the fuel low light comes on. Fill it up again to full tank (automatic shut-off at the same pump). This time, note how much fuel was loaded and get the reading from the trip odometer. Use the following formula to find out the actual fuel consumption.

Trip odo reading in Km
    --------------------- = Fuel consumption in km/L
    Fuel pumped in Liters

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    *oj88
    What's your average FC? is it possible to get a 8km/l FC? I'm choosing between a Lancer 1.6 04' and a Lynx RS 2.0 04'. I'm quite hesitant to get a Lynx coz of its 2.0 engine.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I'm not familiar with the cars you mentioned, sorry.

However, the average city FE I get from a 1.8L Civic centers around 8-9 km/l. The worst I ever had was 6.2 km/l and that was bumper-to-bumper traffic from Makati to Caloocan. The best was 12 km/l.

On the highway, I average 13-14km/l. The best I got was 17.9 km/l.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mahirap yan "guesstimate" eh, have a full tank then doon mo tingnan....although you filled up P1k you still can't be sure how much was left in the tank before that P1k fill up, even you do this everyday iba-iba ang maiiwan sa tank before fillling up, so the best way is to have a full tank then go from there.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    mahirap yan "guesstimate" eh, have a full tank then doon mo tingnan....although you filled up P1k you still can't be sure how much was left in the tank before that P1k fill up, even you do this everyday iba-iba ang maiiwan sa tank before fillling up, so the best way is to have a full tank then go from there.
    It's not guesstimate. That's the beauty of having a ScanGaugeII. It will show you your FE/FC in real time, per trip, for the current day or the day before. It shows how much fuel was/is being consumed, how much did it cost (in Pesos/km), how far did it take you, and a lot more nifty things too plenty to mention.

Since you have the option to show everything in realtime, you can adjust your driving style on the fly and immediately see how it affects your FE/FC in about 1 second. You don't have to wait for the next fill-up to compute your FE/FC. Figures extracted from the latter method is heavily influenced by traffic conditions. In other words, unless traffic is exactly the same every single day, it's difficult to descern if the FE/FC you got was due to traffic conditions or a change in driving style.

Videos of it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...auge+oj88&aq=f

SGII in my FD.
    Last edited by oj88; May 18th, 2009 at 12:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Gas Problems with My Lynx RS