New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Hi..

I joined this forum to seek help or ask suggestions regarding low budget project car which is fuel efficient.
    My husband and I is planning to buy a car. I just need your ideas regarding this matter since we will be a
    first time car owner.

Right now we are on process of looking for a low budget project car like Mitsubishi 1991 to 1997 model,
    Daihatsu, Mazda, and Honda 1991 to 1997 model. May we know the pros and cons having a second hand
    car or opinions? What are the things we need to consider or to check in buying a second hand car?

Thank you and God Bless...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Any idea on the working budget to buy the car?

Do note that buying a car that is over ten years old will surely need some degree of repair work to get it running smoothly, so allocating a portion of the budget for repairs would be advisable.

Best to have a trusted car mechanic or a friend who knows about maintaining old cars to help you check out potential cars you are going to buy.

Since you are looking at "fuel efficient cars"... you can also consider the idea of converting the car to use AUTO-LPG to help you cut the cost of fuel by 1/3 to 1/2 as compared to gasoline.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    typically, mas fuel efficient ang mga efi na makina than carburated ones.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Thank you for your reply.

Our working budget range to buy a car is 80k to 150k? And we do have a trusted car mechanic.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    * meledson, Thank you for the reply also.
    We'll take note of that efi engine..

Thanks you po talaga at for sure we are learning from your responses.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    As I check tsikot other threads and I learned that ang EFI converted engine pla hndi rin ganung sure.. Kasi pwede rin namin consider ung buying a car na efi converted kaso baka ung mabili namin is hindi successful ung efi conversion kaya for sale ung car.

Any opinions?...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ErlynOng View Post
    As I check tsikot other threads and I learned that ang EFI converted engine pla hndi rin ganung sure.. Kasi pwede rin namin consider ung buying a car na efi converted kaso baka ung mabili namin is hindi successful ung efi conversion kaya for sale ung car.

Any opinions?...
    when you say "converted engine" I assumed you are saying engine swaps?

Although it is technically possible to convert a carburated engine into a fuel injection engine, the cost is usually more expensive than doing an engine swap.

As for engine swaps, I would stay away from them as a rule if you are buying a used car as a daily driver. Although there are good examples of swaps done out there, there are probably a lot more bad swaps too.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Have you tried looking into a (1992-1995) Nissan Sentra 1.4L or 1.6L series2?

There are sentra car club members who are selling there beloved cars because they need a bigger car for family, etc reasons. Generally, those cars would be well maintained. Downside, some owners would try to price their cars higher but usually they would lower the selling price to more market-level standards.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ErlynOng View Post
    Thank you for your reply.

Our working budget range to buy a car is 80k to 150k? And we do have a trusted car mechanic.
    Have you consider buying a new one that cost about P600T? Say you pay DP of 150T and your monthly amortization is about 9T for 60 mos. In this way you will prevent headache in the near future than buying 2nd hand car unless otherwise you can buy a properly maintained 2nd hand car.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Have you tried looking into a (1992-1995) Nissan Sentra 1.4L or 1.6L series2?

There are sentra car club members who are selling there beloved cars because they need a bigger car for family, etc reasons. Generally, those cars would be well maintained. Downside, some owners would try to price their cars higher but usually they would lower the selling price to more market-level standards.

Thank you again and we'll look at it..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Fuel Efficient Project Car Suggestion..Please give me idea..