New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if turning the engine off while filling up is to avoid static.. etc that could lead to an explosion....then turning it on would be much more dangerous because electricity would flow through the engine's electrical parts and that the gas is now inside your vehicle and it is flowing through the gas line ....wouldnt that be more dangerous?

and if smoking too is prohibited then why are there people outside the gas station's convenience store having drinks and smoking?...sometimes i wonder...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mmda
    if turning the engine off while filling up is to avoid static.. etc that could lead to an explosion....then turning it on would be much more dangerous because electricity would flow through the engine's electrical parts and that the gas is now inside your vehicle and it is flowing through the gas line ....wouldnt that be more dangerous?

and if smoking too is prohibited then why are there people outside the gas station's convenience store having drinks and smoking?...sometimes i wonder...
    may tawag diyan sa mga taong yan eh. kaya lang baka magalit. alam nyo bang minsang nagpa-refill ako sa Petron gasvilla (san pedro; expressway) may mamang nagce-cellphone pa't pagala-gala sa tabi ng sasakyan niyang nilalagyan ng gasoline.

tinawag ko nga yung isang attendant at sinabi kong sitahin yung mama. ni yung guwardiya timang! wala man lang malasakit. :x

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I turn off my engine when I fill up.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    necessary ba tlga?hmm.....il try to change my habit nga...tsaka tinatamad ako magpatay ng cellhpone once nasa loob na ko ng gas station...kasi pag pinatay mo il would cause static na naman so better leave it kesa papatyin mo ince nasa loob ka na ng gas station...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well, i don't know about that static from the car's systems... but there must be a good reason why gas stations all over the world advise customers to turn off their engines when filling up

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    some food for thought:

won't an "off" cellphone be even more dangerous than one that's turned on? at least if it's on, current flows in a closed loop through it. static will that gets caught up in this flow will be quickly consumed by the phone's electronics.

however, when its off, the screen, the battery act as small capacitors ready to discharge static. same principle as a television. when you switch off your tv, you can literally feel the static discharge that isn't there while it's on.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    diba yung "danger" ng cellphones ay yung threat of an oncoming signal igniting the gas fumes? (although someone did say that cellphone emissions won't ignite gasoline...)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    diba yung "danger" ng cellphones ay yung threat of an oncoming signal igniting the gas fumes? (although someone did say that cellphone emissions won't ignite gasoline...)
    that's totally uneducated. radio signals travel everywhere, and they won't avoid your cellphone just because it's "off." in the same way, your tv antenna doesn't stop being an antenna (or lightning rod) even if your tv is off, you just don't get to see the signals it receives.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ako i turn off the engine kasi wala naman pop up knob sa fuel and naka on ang phone kung may tumawag siguro deadma na lang muna.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    splerdu,

radio waves ba yung cellphone? what's all this hulabaloo about cellphone radiations then (which are said to cause everything from gas station ignitions to cancer)? crap?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
filling up on Gasoline