New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    Looks interesting, i'm just wondering if the device is really properly causing water decomposition and injecting hydrogen or if it's just working as basic water injection.
    Seems like he's just injecting steam directly into the engine (which has been done already all around the globe - so much for the supposedly ingenious and original Filipino invention). What's funny is his claim of being able to split water into hydrogen & oxygen just from the waste heat generated by the engine.

As I know it... a few droplets of water introduced to the engine wouldn't do any harm... but to have continuous steam pumping into the engine is a bit off the scale.

Regarding steam... Honda & another car manufacturer are already working on a system to utilize the heat generated from the engine... I think they call it regenerative steam something:

http://www.switched.com/2008/02/21/h...hybrid-engine/

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Basic science:

Water isn't an energy source BUT an energy carrier.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ringostarr View Post
    yeah you may have presented a very convincing scientific argument.

but i'm talking about the new gold here: water. tingin mo ilang buwan para ma-trade as commodities sa stock market as well as the black market ito important natural resource na ito. and the hoardings and all other stuff.

unless you're saying that water will literally falling at your lap, kasi nga sabi hindi naman mawawala sa atmosphere or environment.
    sorry, i know i'm not supposed to feed the trolls, but i can't resist this one :hihihi:

last time i checked, 70% of the earth's surface is water. kinda tough to have enough scarcity to create a black market and why are you so skeptical about "water literally falls into your lap", doesn't that already happen every time it rains? :rofl01:

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post
    sorry, i know i'm not supposed to feed the trolls, but i can't resist this one :hihihi:

last time i checked, 70% of the earth's surface is water. kinda tough to have enough scarcity to create a black market and why are you so skeptical about "water literally falls into your lap", doesn't that already happen every time it rains? :rofl01:
    Well, he was probably referring to freshwater, which scarcer than many people think. It's akin to the current problem plaguing biofuels: the partitioning of production between food and fuel.

There's always desalination, but it's an energy-intensive process.

From what I remember, the missing lynchpin for the feasibility of hydrogen-power is an energy source that would practically be limitless and renewable. This is where the promise of fusion kicks in. Other renewable energy sources simply cannot match the output of fossil fuels.

EDIT: if it does become the new "black gold", then the better for us living in tropical countries (high rainfall)! yun nga lang, kawawa naman silang mga taga middle east na nasa disyerto.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    sorry skeptic bout this too

pwede pa yung poopoo pwedeng maging fuel via biogas madaming ding poopoo sa mundo imagine tank full of poo anyone? joke

sorry OT

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tanoshi_637 View Post
    sorry skeptic bout this too

pwede pa yung poopoo pwedeng maging fuel via biogas madaming ding poopoo sa mundo imagine tank full of poo anyone? joke

sorry OT
    hehe. methane power!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well...

How many of you have driven your rigs or your cars through floodwater?

Did any of them blow up?

I've had steam come out from under my hood when my exhaust manifold splashed through a puddle. On my previous car, my manifold could get red-hot. Car didn't explode, flames weren't licking out from under the hood... so... no hydrogen produced.

To get H2O to dissociate, is, as Ghosthunter pointed out (and I'm betting he's laughing his ass off at this thread), a very energy-intensive process, and requires temperatures greater than those around the exhaust manifold. Otherwise, if this were true:

1. Honda and BMW would use the hypothetical hydrogen produced during the heating of the water around the exhaust manifold to power their engines instead of running a steam generator.

2. Every time your engine swallowed even small amounts of water, it would explode, as the instant production of large amounts of hydrogen and oxygen at high pressure would literally blow your valve cover off. Instead, swallowing small amounts of water creates steam, and the engine chokes. And combustion chamber temperatures and pressures are much higher than any you can get by wrapping a copper tube around the exhaust.

Obviously, engines do blow when they swallow water, but obviously, they blow for other reasons.

-----

All I can say at this invention... been there, seen that... Ha.Ha.Ha... ikuwento mo sa mga Marines.

-----

I've thought about making a steam-charger using the exhaust temperature to run a turbocharger (steam pushes one turbine, the other turbine pressurizes the intake air)... the only problem is, as you take heat out of the exhaust, the steam-charging effect gets less... and it makes the effect inconsistent. I don't know how BMW got around that one... but their rig is experimental, and it uses exhaust heat further downstream.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    -----
    I've thought about making a steam-charger using the exhaust temperature to run a turbocharger (steam pushes one turbine, the other turbine pressurizes the intake air)... the only problem is, as you take heat out of the exhaust, the steam-charging effect gets less... and it makes the effect inconsistent. I don't know how BMW got around that one... but their rig is experimental, and it uses exhaust heat further downstream.
    Simple solution. Just use a fluid (aside from water) that vaporises into a high pressure vapour at a lower temperature and still would condense into a liquid at ambient temperatures. A steam turbine doesn't necessarily need to use water.

"Think outside the box."

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

To get H2O to dissociate, is, as Ghosthunter pointed out (and I'm betting he's laughing his ass off at this thread),................

Actually, I am shaking my head at people even bothering to spend so much time on this. The critical point here was the temperature for the "magic" to happen. If the exhaust gases doesn't reach that temperature, all you get is some wet steam and not hydrogen & oxygen.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    RE: low boiling point... most I can think of is alcohol, but that's too flammable. The temperature isn't that low, otherwise BMW wouldn't be able to get it to work, but it requires quite a bit of thought as to how the mechanism will work. All you'd need is a turbine, an evaporator, a condenser, lots of copper tubing and one-way valves.

Hot water flows around the manifold, goes to evaporator, turns to steam, turns turbine, turbine boosts engine, used steam goes to condenser, turns back to water, goes back to copper tube around exhaust manifold.

I can fabricate the set-up, but I'd need to see how much boost it would make before attaching it to my engine.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Filipino invention: Hydrogasifier