New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    The New ISUZU DMAX 3.0 still uses EURO 2 does it matter?
    forgot to mention CRDI din ang DMAX

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    From a functionality standpoint, Euro 2 or Euro 4 fuel will work exactly the same on a Euro 2 engine.

Euro 4 engines will need Euro 4 fuels. The reduced sulfur content from Euro 4 fuels can extend the life and efficiency of the tailpipe emissions systems that's present on Euro 4 engines.

To summarize:
    Euro 2 engines can use Euro 2 and up fuels
    Euro 4 engines can use Euro 4 and up fuels

3. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    From a functionality standpoint, Euro 2 or Euro 4 fuel will work exactly the same on a Euro 2 engine.

Euro 4 engines will need Euro 4 fuels. The reduced sulfur content from Euro 4 fuels can extend the life and efficiency of the tailpipe emissions systems that's present on Euro 4 engines.

To summarize:
    Euro 2 engines can use Euro 2 and up fuels
    Euro 4 engines can use Euro 4 and up fuels
    Sulfur in diesel is the counterpart of lead in gasoline. It raises the cetane level & acts as a lube for the valves. It's the old, old diesel engines that are affected.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bloowolf View Post
    Sulfur in diesel is the counterpart of lead in gasoline. It raises the cetane level & acts as a lube for the valves. It's the old, old diesel engines that are affected.
    Sir when you say old diesel engine, how old? Im have my eyes on the just released Isuzu mux 3.0, they say it's new, but then I've read that it's an old engine (4jj1) fitted with VGS. And Isuzu Phils. says that it's not yet Euro 4 compliant. Should I be concerned?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bloowolf View Post
    Sulfur is NOT added to Diesel fuel. It's intrinsically part of crude oil as it is extracted from the ground. To adhere to Euro standards, sulfur is selectively removed, along with other undesirables by distillation and other methods.

Since more than a decade ago, sulfur is no longer needed for lubrication. And again, as specified by the Euro standard, lubricity is retained by the use of additives mixed in during the refining process. So as dictated again by the standard, whether it's Euro 2 (regular Sulfur) or Euro 4 (low sulfur) fuel, it will have the same lubricity.

So yes, Euro 4 fuel CAN be used on Euro 4, Euro 2 or older engines but NOT vice versa. Euro 4 engines should ONLY use Euro 4 or higher fuels.

6. Join Date
    May 2010
    how about the government saying na dapat all car makers should be euro 4 by January 2016, so I wonder why Isuzu still uses EURO 2 on their dmax 2016 model which I really like(have me worried since I am planning to get one on 1st or 2nd quarter next year)

will using euro 4 fuel affect the durability of euro 2 engine?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pctechphcom View Post
    how about the government saying na dapat all car makers should be euro 4 by January 2016, so I wonder why Isuzu still uses EURO 2 on their dmax 2016 model which I really like(have me worried since I am planning to get one on 1st or 2nd quarter next year)
    Last I've heard is that car makers are asking for more time for them to transition to Euro 4. I'm no expert but it's got something to do with the required adjustments in their manufacturing facilities, process and parts changes, logistics, and possibly some re-engineering.

will using euro 4 fuel affect the durability of euro 2 engine?
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: What makes an engine Euro-compliant pretty much depends on how much NOX, CO, CO2, HC, and particulate matter it's spewing out. The thing is, all these can be readily eliminated using a number of emissions systems in vehicles:
    EGR
    PCV
    EVAP canisters/purge valve
    Catalytic converter
    Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
    Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR)
    Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)
    O2 sensors
    etc.

Car manufacturers, in their goal to meet Euro standards would need to use one or a combination of these emissions 'gizmos' to deal with the pollutants. The higher the Euro level, the car would typically need more of these systems installed. And for the most part, these things work wonders in cleaning up exhaust emissions.... that is assuming that these systems are operating properly.

Now where does sulfur come in? Well sulfur, like lead, are known to foul up exhaust emissions systems, reducing their efficiency or even rendering them useless.

So, reducing sulfur is key at reducing ALL other exhaust pollutants. If you reduce sulfur in fuels, these emissions systems will work more efficiently at reducing CO, CO2, HC, PM (etc.) emissions.

By that logic, if you use fuel with significant amounts of sulfur (or you ignorantly add sulfur to fuel for whatever reasons), sulfuric dioxide (by-product of burnt sulfur) will eventually reduce the life of some of the emissions systems and your car will end up spewing more of the other pollutants.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Sulfur is NOT added to Diesel fuel. It's intrinsically part of crude oil as it is extracted from the ground. To adhere to Euro standards, sulfur is selectively removed, along with other undesirables by distillation and other methods.

Since more than a decade ago, sulfur is no longer needed for lubrication. And again, as specified by the Euro standard, lubricity is retained by the use of additives mixed in during the refining process. So as dictated again by the standard, whether it's Euro 2 (regular Sulfur) or Euro 4 (low sulfur) fuel, it will have the same lubricity.

So yes, Euro 4 fuel CAN be used on Euro 4, Euro 2 or older engines but NOT vice versa. Euro 4 engines should ONLY use Euro 4 or higher fuels.
    Last I've heard is that car makers are asking for more time for them to transition to Euro 4. I'm no expert but it's got something to do with the required adjustments in their manufacturing facilities, process and parts changes, logistics, and possibly some re-engineering.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: What makes an engine Euro-compliant pretty much depends on how much NOX, CO, CO2, HC, and particulate matter it's spewing out. The thing is, all these can be readily eliminated using a number of emissions systems in vehicles:
    EGR
    PCV
    EVAP canisters/purge valve
    Catalytic converter
    Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
    Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR)
    Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)
    O2 sensors
    etc.

Car manufacturers, in their goal to meet Euro standards would need to use one or a combination of these emissions 'gizmos' to deal with the pollutants. The higher the Euro level, the car would typically need more of these systems installed. And for the most part, these things work wonders in cleaning up exhaust emissions.... that is assuming that these systems are operating properly.

Now where does sulfur come in? Well sulfur, like lead, are known to foul up exhaust emissions systems, reducing their efficiency or even rendering them useless.

So, reducing sulfur is key at reducing ALL other exhaust pollutants. If you reduce sulfur in fuels, these emissions systems will work more efficiently at reducing CO, CO2, HC, PM (etc.) emissions.

By that logic, if you use fuel with significant amounts of sulfur (or you ignorantly add sulfur to fuel for whatever reasons), sulfuric dioxide (by-product of burnt sulfur) will eventually reduce the life of some of the emissions systems and your car will end up spewing more of the other pollutants.
    Thank you very much for the info, sir.

9. Join Date
    May 2010
    thanks any idea what will happen if 2016 becomes euro 4 fuel complaint then you are using Euro 2 engine and you fail the emission because of that?
    or will Euro 2 Engine produce the same emission effect as Euro 4 engine ?

10. Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Ang accent crdi euro 4 engine na diba if i remember it right sa manual niya

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast