New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Some years ago I made an initial study in the costing and feasibility for making a "kit" to convert a standard FWD car into a basic electric hybrid car consisting of two in-hub electric motor/generators, a power controller and some batteries.

The aim was to replace the rear drum brakes with 15hp to 25hp electric motors powered by the battery pack and controlled by some electronics to do progressive power delivery, regenerative braking and even full electric mode with the engine tuned off. The vehicle of choice then was the Corolla AE89. Conversion cost target was P120k to P150K without labor. Unfortunately the materials then exceeded the target cost so it was shelved.

I am just wondering about something like this would be feasible today and would there be anyone interested to have their car converted into an electric hybrid vehicle for around P150K to P180k?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Have you priced the motors and battery yet? And what's the target weight for the build?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If I remember my previous study... pancake hub motors, power controller & gel-batteries already exceeded past P120k without labor & custom parts fabrication yet. No idea about current prices though.

Niky! ... you looking at adding 50hp more power at the (rear) wheels?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'm still considering what to do with our delivery vehicle.

Can the work be done with cheaper batteries and/or pancake motors?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    wow this is very interesting...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I'm still considering what to do with our delivery vehicle.

Can the work be done with cheaper batteries and/or pancake motors?
    As for batteries yes but they might not have the long term durability or might simply weigh much more. As for the motor, if the motor is under-sized, performance would suffer especially from a standing start.

Note: the cost is not all just the motor & batteries. You also have to consider the upgrades that have to be done to the rear suspension to handle the torque and thrust from the hub mounted motors.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Two words: beam axle. The AD Resort has a beam suspension with stiffer springs and a larger beam than a stock Sentra. It should be able to handle the extra torque and weight fine.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Two words: beam axle. The AD Resort has a beam suspension with stiffer springs and a larger beam than a stock Sentra. It should be able to handle the extra torque and weight fine.
    True that a beam axle vehicle would solve a lot of the rear suspension problems but it wouldn't solve the marketability to a wider market though, hence the proposal of the Corolla as test vehicle then.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hmmm... I'm still considering whether to sell the diesel service or the gasoline one... hehehe... if I sell the diesel service, I'd have a wad of cash to play around with in terms of mods and experimentation. ;)

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I wonder if the stuff found at

http://www.aeva.asn.au/forums/default.asp

can be applied into this kind of project?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Electric Hybrid Conversion for FWD cars