New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    *ghosthunter
    Sorry meant to say maybe the Euro 4 diesel doesn't have to be brought in with a 2% bio blend since it's cleaner already. Apparently it still has to be 2%.

2% blend may not sound like much but most of the mechanical engineers I know say they don't know how the engine will handle the bio blend in the long term. They say it might corrode the fuel lines or shrink seals.

I say let the PUV/bus operators still use Euro 2 if they insist. Just pull them up everyday for smoke belching. Kusang lilipat din mga yun. Australian diesel sulfur limit is at 10ppm daw but that still doesn't stop ill maintained engines from belching black smoke.
    *Wh1stl3r You might be referring to effects of ethanol on fuel systems. I wouldn't be worried about biodiesel though, Rudolf Diesel actually designed his original engine to run on vegetable oil, the base stock of most biodiesel.

JAMA, the Japanese auto makers' umbrella association actually said they're OK with B5 since it didn't present any technical problems with current engine technology.

Yup there's nothing like the prospect of heavy fines to compel cutthroat businessmen to spend a little more money for the sake of our lungs, theirs included

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Sorry double post
    Last edited by bananatype; February 22nd, 2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Sorry double post

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bananatype View Post
    Ethanol can't be blended with diesel fuel, it's too volatile for compression ignition engines. But it's OK for blending with gasoline. Currently, methyl esters from palm, peanut, coconuts, etc are made into biodiesel.

Biodiesel is not all bad, just don't blend it more than B5 for commercial use. The guys who make the stuff at home shouldn't sell it to the public because it degrades oil viscosity quicker than usual. Buyer beware na lang.

Cheers

oops sorry my bad.....I was actually referring to that methyl esther thingy...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Since, according to the article, the Euro 4 fuel will be sold at no additional cost, then I believe there shouldn't be any angal from the annoying PUV drivers.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Siguro dahil imported yung fuels nila.

Dumadating dito tapos na. Blended na.

Eh yung Big-3?

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bananatype View Post
    *Wh1stl3r You might be referring to effects of ethanol on fuel systems. I wouldn't be worried about biodiesel though, Rudolf Diesel actually designed his original engine to run on vegetable oil, the base stock of most biodiesel.
    No, aside from acids forming I really thought Biodiesel (even ULSD for that matter) attracts water and therefore is more prone to rust metal parts. Re: seals I got it backwards pala. There's a lot of talk in diesel forums about ULSD shrinking injector pump seals and Biodiesel expanding them.

Will filling up a car that's been using currently available diesel with Euro 4 diesel cause the injector pump to leak?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    No, aside from acids forming I really thought Biodiesel (even ULSD for that matter) attracts water and therefore is more prone to rust metal parts. Re: seals I got it backwards pala. There's a lot of talk in diesel forums about ULSD shrinking injector pump seals and Biodiesel expanding them.

Will filling up a car that's been using currently available diesel with Euro 4 diesel cause the injector pump to leak?
    *wh1stl3r From what I know of biodiesel, if left sitting in the tank a few days, it can form water as its components start to separate. But the water accumulator in your car should strain this out, unless you don't drain the accumulator during normal PMS. Also, Euro2 krudo contains a lot more impurities, among them water so whether you use Euro2 krudo or not, there is a always a certain amount of oxidation in the fuel system.

So the key here is to keep fresh fuel in the tank and to perform PMS.

As regards ULSD, most modern 1st to 3rd gen turbo-commonrail engines were designed to run on the stuff so incompatibility with the fuel system may not be so much of an issue. But for older engines, maybe metallurgy of the seals might be an issue.

Cheers.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Ngayon ba all Unioil stations in Metro Manila sell Euro 4 diesel already? If not, which are the 25 stations that do? I'm very interested to see its effect in our Trooper.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    So aside from Eastern petroleum and Unioil, as stated by the TS pati pala Seaoil Euro IV Diesel na binebenta nila?(without the marketing hype). ma i try nga

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by poknet View Post
    So aside from Eastern petroleum and Unioil, as stated by the TS pati pala Seaoil Euro IV Diesel na binebenta nila?(without the marketing hype). ma i try nga
    correction sir...euro 5 na ang diesel ng seaoil (exceed)...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Eastern Petroleum, Unioil offer Euro 4 diesel products in Phl