New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Is it true that car color affect fuel consumption? Since dark color are easier to absorb heat at light colored vehicles just reflects/bounce back most of the heat.

-hot exterior can affect interior temperature w/c means that your a/c will work harder.

-I've heard that it is advisable to park your car in the shade to save fuel (daw)

TRUE OR FALSE?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    don't think so, i have a dark blue hi ace and a white hiace. both 94 models. both consume average 7-8 kms/l city driving( sta mesa to quiapo route),

pero pansin ko both hiace's and my vitara run faster pag bagong huga at wax :D

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    first time ko marinig, baka hindi naman totoo... hehe

Quote Originally Posted by impulzz View Post
    pero pansin ko both hiace's and my vitara run faster pag bagong huga at wax :D
    baka dahil dumudulas ung hangin pag bagong wax at hugas. walang mga dumi dumi sa paint.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    hindi kaya dahil mas magaan kasi wala na yung mga dumi

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Matinding labanan dito ang question nayan. Visit this and make question, answer, argue etc.

1. CARB So Crazy: California To Ban Black Cars? | The Truth About Cars
      ... of one make of car with different colors and compare fuel consumption by color. ... Also, the exterior color of a car does indeed make a big difference in how hot ...
      www.thetruthaboutcars.com/carb-so-crazy

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Short answer: TRUE

Long answer: The additional fuel consumption of a car left in the sun is negligible. Though, if it's hot enough, the fuel vapors inside the gas tank can vent into the atmosphere. Again, this is negligible.

The primary reason why people park their vehicles in the shade is to:

a. Preserve their paintwork and interior upholstery - UV to some extent will cause paint to fade and interior upholstery (dashboard, leather and plastic panels, steering wheel, etc.) to become brittle and crack.
    b. For comfort - To keep the cabin cool so the passengers can immediately get in and drive off without having to open the windows or doors to let the car cool off to a more comfortable temp.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Mas kuntento pa ako sa park your car in the shade . Protect the paint in the heat of the sun and rain which contain acid.
    Ang alam ko mas magandang magpalagay ng gasolina sa gabi kumpara sa tanghali na mainit ang araw nag evaporate kasi ang gasolina pag mainit.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    I think its FALSE.

Color really affects temperature but not too much when it comes to fuel consumption.

what do you think about this.

sana hindi na ginawa ng mga car engineers yung may color na dark kung makaka-affect sya greatly sa FC....

oh baka hindi nila yun naisip... sige nga

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hmm... dark color = absorb more heat = A/C has to work harder = more engine load

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    It's TRUE.

Compare a white car and a black car, the black car is definitely hotter when parked under the sun. There is a big difference sa temperature, and the A/C would have to work harder. I feel this myself. Kung mainit in the cabin, the A/C works harder and the compressor stays on longer, and I can actually feel the weight on the engine, and i would have to press the gas more just for the car to go. But as for the F/C, there is no big difference.

There definitely is an effect to the fuel consumption, but it is very very negligible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Does car color affect fuel consumption?