New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    well you have to consider your vehicle usage... if you intend to always use the vehicle as people or cargo mover.. diesel is way to go...

but for few people transport and few cargo gas engines is good

imagine a 10 wheeler truck full of sand with V12 gas fed engine??

we have diesel fed vehicles and use it if we travel 5 people or more.. we use the gas fed engine if traveling alone or two..

our carnival before runs at 10km/l city driving with traffic, 12km/l - 14km/l sa highway.. mas matipid pa nga ang diesel engine at mas mabilis lalo na pag loaded

our suzuki every 660cc runs at 16km/l city driving.. pero pag loaded to with 5 people nasa 12km/l - 14km/l... malakas na din sa gas kasi it requires more fuel to burn to move the load...

as my observation, my 1989 nissan maxima, 2.0L gas 5MT, FWD, consumes 4-5kms city, up to 8 highway, produces only 90ps, less than 20kg-m of torque...and a breeze to drive anywhere...

comparing to my former liteace na 2.0L turbo-diesel, 4wd 4AT, produces the same power but consumes only 6-8 city, up to 12 highway but sluggish on the highway.

comparing to my former delica 2.5L turbo diesel, 4wd AT, 30x9.5r15 tires, 100ps, 22.5kg-m, which consumes 5-6 city and up to 10 highway.. well sulit lalo na pag madami.

sinasabi ko lang, my heavier, bulkier, more spacious & seating capacity former delica consumes as much as my lighter, more compact auster(maxima). kaya i would consider diesel parin.. and old school diesel, pwede sa biodiesel, WVO..even lpg hehehe

CRDI is another case.

as per maintenance an service life: old school diesel ok i-water forge even if the alternator is under water, i know, delica ko nilulusong ko sa waist deep waters and all of my warning lights went on...diesel have a more expensive marts kasi heavy duty nga, but yun nga it will surpass the service life of a gasoline engine.

and another advantage of diesel, it produces its maximum torque at low rpms, unlike gas engines.

ako, depende sa application ng sasakyan. kung pang out of towner family car, diesel ako, pero pang city city lang sub-compact gasoline.
    Last edited by alwayz_yummy; July 19th, 2008 at 09:52 AM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    The title should be edited into "Would you still consider diesel even if its P5 more expensive than gas?".

And no I am not saying diesel will be P5 more expensive kasi its up to the oil companies how much they are willing to pass up to the consumer and how much of it they will take for themselves.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    dito about php7.00 or 15% more expensive na ang diesel than gas. especially when the japanese &/or korean diesels come here, still i would like to get one even if it initially costs more expensive to buy

for me:

better mileage :thumbup:
    better longevity & maintenance :2thumbsup:
    better torque :evillaugh

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Today, diesel price increased by P3 per liter; gasoline by P1 per liter.... So gasoline price is only 2-3% more expensive than diesel now.... Hay buhay.....

6404:pump:

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    You should calculate for your own specific cost per mile or cost per kilometer. Only from there can you decide if using a diesel is still good for you or if other alternatives should be sought.

The instant response of gasoline engines are a big thing if you want to drive spiritedly, but these days there's no real use for that unless you also have a torquey gasoline engine.

My diesel's 120hp with 170lb-ft of torque feels different from the other one's 177hp with 170lb-ft of torque. My diesel doesn't feel as explosive as the gasser, it just goes relentlessly. On the other hand the gasser has a different character when being driven. With that I have to change my driving habits when I drive the two, to get the best MPG out of them.

When you do a lot of highway driving kuha ka na ng diesel. The high torque output at the right engine speed (usually highway speed) should give you enough passing power when needed, and with the good amount of torque at that speed you don't have to downshift every time you pass (as in most gasoline engines that lack torque). If you do a lot of city driving then the advantage of highway torque is minimized because you don't need as much around town.

So like I said it's on a case to case basis. First calculate cost per distance, check your driving routes, preference to driving habits, etc.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Diesel engines are very effecient and can be powerful, i believe in the years to come OEM will make it more efficient. More player are comming in subarus, citroen, peugeot and i think it will be bloody for them but good for us.
    To know more about diesels engines and fuel systems feel free to pass by the shop, Central Diesel 1176 Quezon Ave beside Capitol Medical and front heartbeat or call 411-3711 to 13 look for Ramon or Jake.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i'd still get a diesel vehicle. lalo na kung people or cargo hauler.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I'll take diesel anytime lalo na kung long distance driving. kaso, pan-mkt lang byahe ko...that's why I choose 1.3 Avanza.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    'Expect diesel prices to go past gasoline'

[SIZE=2]
    Dealers of petroleum products admitted Wednesday that diesel, the fuel used by most public utility vehicles, will soon be more expensive than gasoline. The government, meanwhile, said that it would implement measures to help mitigate the possible effects of such price adjustments.

Retailers of Petron Corporation and Pilipinas Shell said there is a possibility that in the coming weeks, diesel prices will be solder higher.

"That's a reality...and if that happens, our mother company and the Department of Energy should do something," said Shell Dealers' Association president Charie Antonio.

Had oil firms not rolled back diesel by P1.50 per liter over the weekend, the difference between its price and that of gasoline would have been just under P2 per liter.

"That's a frightening scenario, especially since the drivers carry the burden for diesel," said Petron Dealers' Association president Ruth Marbibi.

Passenger jeepney and bus driver are worst-hit by the upward adjustment in diesel prices despite a recently-graned fare increase.

Oil companies said gasoline is now actually cheaper than diesel in the world market. On July 18, diesel was selling at $166 per barrel while gasoline went only for $130.

Firms said that to ease the burden on motorists using diesel, they might pass on some of their under-recoveries for diesel to gasoline, in what is called "cross-subsidy."

"If we are able to pass on [cost], there will be a case that diesel will cost more than gasoline," said Total Philippines spokeswoman Malou Espina.

Meanwhile, even the government admitted there's no stopping the diesel price hikes in the coming weeks.

The energy department said it will try to mitigate the effects of the price hikes on the public transport sector.

"Value-added tax collections may be used to help those who will be hit by the increase in diesel prices, especially those in the transport sector," said Zenaida Monsada, director of the Oil Industry Management Bureau.

In a related development, talks were rife Wednesday that there will be no pump price adjustments this weekend as a form of support by the oil firms ahead of President Arroyo's State of the Nation Address on Monday, July 28. Alvin Elchico, ABS-CBN News

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage...StoryId=126162
    [/SIZE]

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Diesel Is Only 6% Cheaper Than Gas, Would You Still Consider Buying Diesel Vehicle?