New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Hi all,

Am planning to store a few gallons of diesel fuel for our diesel generator.

Aside from buying those plastic gas/diesel cans at Ace, etc., are there any alternatives?

Aside from hardware shops at the malls, any other place i can buy fuel containers? The typical auto shop doesn't seem to carry them.

i read from other forums that HDPE plastic containers are OK; if that's the case, i can reuse HDPE plastic jugs right, assuming it's cleaned and dried out well?

Is it safe to use PET bottles? i know there are concerns about its sturdiness, but apart from that, OK na ba siya? Am concerned that the fuel may slowly dissolve the plastic, which ends up clogging your engine.

tia
    Last edited by badkuk; November 21st, 2015 at 08:51 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    two types of jerry cans, petrol and diesel. look for diesel specific ones. they can be used for storage. 20L capacities are available. enough for 2 days on a generator.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    5gal midwest gasoline jug but its now filled with diesel for my long drives. I have smaller and larger versions for the farm machineries. You could use a used engine oil container thats what im using for the boat.
    imageuploadedbytsikot-forums1448109364.347038.jpg

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    two types of jerry cans, petrol and diesel. look for diesel specific ones. they can be used for storage. 20L capacities are available. enough for 2 days on a generator.
    Fuel specific pala yung jerry cans? My impression is that they're basically made of the same plastic, and the color is just to distinguish between gas and diesel.

i don't usually see the yellow ones; iirc the last time i visited Ace megamall, there was exactly one yellow jerry can for diesel.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Fuel specific pala yung jerry cans? My impression is that they're basically made of the same plastic, and the color is just to distinguish between gas and diesel.

i don't usually see the yellow ones; iirc the last time i visited Ace megamall, there was exactly one yellow jerry can for diesel.
    I was rethinking my post... lol yes its just color. the red ones should work, i would label "diesel" on it

whats your generator? i was looking at some honda generators 45k-65k din.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    you can buy like this one for cheap at divisoria;

25l_acid_container_plastic_drums_barrels.jpg

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    I was rethinking my post... lol yes its just color. the red ones should work, i would label "diesel" on it

whats your generator? i was looking at some honda generators 45k-65k din.

It's a Navigator NDG5500CE, 5.5.kVA, the ones being sold at Ace. We actually bought it earlier this year, ngayon lang talaga naasikaso yung housing/electricals.

We did consider Honda, but i'm paranoid about storing gasoline at home. Initially i frowned upon China OEMs, but a hardware store owner(not where we bought it from) advised that, since madalang lang gamitin(as opposed to daily e.g. contractors), OK na yung China OEM.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Kung back up power Lang naman Yan genset mo sir... You don't need an extra container to store fuel... Usually one full tank can last a min. Of 8 hours.. Standard sa Lahat NG Gensets yan... Yung genset ko NGa sa bahay... May one year na Yun.. Bihira Lang Kasi brownout kaya.. Halos hindi pa din nababawasan...

9. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Advice ko Lang... Don't store diesel in your house.. At hindi mo naman kailangan yan sir.. Madami na 2liters of diesel every 6 months...

Ang importanteng bilhin mo sa genset mo sir.. Is Yung trickle charger.. Or automatic battery charger... I'm sure pag Wala Ka nun.. At nag brownout, low bat na din battery mo... Hindi mo din magagamit genset mo..

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn manikis View Post
    Advice ko Lang... Don't store diesel in your house.. At hindi mo naman kailangan yan sir.. Madami na 2liters of diesel every 6 months...

Ang importanteng bilhin mo sa genset mo sir.. Is Yung trickle charger.. Or automatic battery charger... I'm sure pag Wala Ka nun.. At nag brownout, low bat na din battery mo... Hindi mo din magagamit genset mo..

Thanks for the advice sir ^_^.

Re diesel: hindi naman po exactly sa loob ng bahay, we do have a well shaded area where we stored tools/spare plywood/etc.

Actually...your diesel car can be your diesel storage na rin no?

This model has a backup de-hila start as backup, although ang hirap siguro i manual start yan.

Me kasamang cable yung genset, basically a plug with two clamps at the end. Parang nakakatakot gamitin....i will look for a proper charger.
    Last edited by badkuk; November 22nd, 2015 at 10:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast