The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    caveat emptor.

too short.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Alam ko mas mababa ng P1 yung ron 91 compared sa 93.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    Base on my experience, mas malakas ako sa gas sa Petron Xtra vs. Petron XCS.
    Same here. Kaya XCS na lang ako.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by odie vti View Post
    I started this thread because I just feel we're basically paying the same amount per liter for a lower class fuel... more shortchanged, actually. As a consumer, I would want the best value for money.
    this notion is valid only in the onset when they implemented the change but afterwards they adjusted the price to a lower level corresponding to the octane reduction

as for the misconception that lower octane is more dirty than higher octane gas is simply untrue. high octane gas produce more energy when burned providing more power to kick the piston, that extra power cause more wear & tear to the engine of your car in exchange for extra mileage (if the traffic is free flowing)
    Last edited by kisshmet; May 3rd, 2013 at 10:35 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by odie vti View Post
    Hi guys, I was filling up the other day in Shell gas station in Commonwealth (across Technohub) and I went down to check if the gas attendant was pumping Fuel Save Unleaded... normally when I look at the pump, I see the Yellow box sticker that says "93" octane (95 for premium and 95+ or 97+ for the most expensive one.... 100+ octane pa nga kapag Petron Blaze)... BUT TO MY SURPRISE, A WHITE STICKER OVERLAY SAYS "91 OCTANE"... I thought it was only Shell, but today I had a fill-up at Flying V in Commonwealth cor. Elliptical Road, and the usual Thunder Unleaded with 93 octane also had a white sticker overlay saying 91 octane. NOTE: This only applies to the CHEAPEST UNLEADED FUEL. PREMIUM GAS (like Shell Nitro+ and Petron XCS still have 95 octane rating, and Shell Nitro+ Racing and Petron Blaze still the same 95+/97+/100+ octane rating).

Looks like we're getting screwed again by the oil companies.

We are already getting low-class, low-grade, and dirty fuel (especially diesel, which is the root cause of many CRDi system failures and problems), and NOW THIS... even lower class / lower grade fuel for the basic unleaded... BASICALLY A DOWNGRADE. I think this is a "SILENT CAMPAIGN" by the oil companies. They never let the public know through media, print or otherwise. Yeah, they lowered the prices of fuel alright, but lowering the quality as well???? Tsktsk. This just means MORE PROFIT FOR THE OIL COMPANIES (you see, a lower octane rating means this is a cheaper fuel to produce) and MORE DAMAGE to our engines (lower octane may sometimes cause more engine knock and pinging... although some cars ECU have a knock sensor and easily adapt to the octane change, but some cars can't cope with really low octane... on the other hand, countries like the United States have 87 octane as the cheapest unleaded fuel around, and 89 for the premium and 93 for the super premium). This also translates to LOWER ENGINE PERFORMANCE, WHICH MAY LEAD TO LOWER OR LESSER FUEL EFFICIENCY... our engines have decreased power thus more throttle is applied to accelerate rapidly than before.

Any one else noticed this "silent campaign" or shall we say "silent deception"?????
    My strong suggestion is for the writer of this article to verify your facts straight muna bago ka magngangawa. Sino ba ang nag-impose sa mga oil companies for the changes. Ano ba talaga ang mga changes? Do you understand them? If you look at your car manual ano ba talaga ang octane na kailangan ng kotse mo? I am simply sick and tired of people who shoot from the hips na parang cowboy na wala namang kabayo - hehehe!!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    This is a bummer for me as well since the recommended octane rating for my 3rd gen CR-V is 93 (accdg to the manual). I now fill-up with the more expensive V-Power Nitro (95 rating) which really isn't giving me any noticeable advantage.

Anyone knows what's the real deal with this change?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by goo View Post
    This is a bummer for me as well since the recommended octane rating for my 3rd gen CR-V is 93 (accdg to the manual). I now fill-up with the more expensive V-Power Nitro (95 rating) which really isn't giving me any noticeable advantage.

Anyone knows what's the real deal with this change?
    di pa pwede i mix mo yung gas? 50% ron 95. 50% ron 91. curious lang.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12