New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I remember a report on CNN about filling gas on cold morning to save fuel. they even measured using temp meter on morning vs afternoon.

while ABS-CBN and Fox says this is a Gas Saving myth.

FOX even says dirty airfilter will not save fuel, but only affect performance.

turning off aircon doesn't save fuel rin daw...

http://www.fox23news.com/news/local/...c-2dc65b2e002e

btw, I saw a very informative report about hypermiling on CNN. a Honda Accord A/T that could get 50mpg. but some tips are outrageously dangerous, including shutting your engine off while cruising... not braking while turning.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...ef=videosearch
    Last edited by rion; June 3rd, 2008 at 09:06 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    FOX even says dirty airfilter will not save fuel, but only affect performance.
    Probably true for cars with modern closed loop ECU systems but cars with carb engines and early EFI systems, a clean air filter will help save some fuel.

turning off aircon doesn't save fuel rin daw...
    Well, based on the mythbusters experiments, it depends on the relative speed the vehicle is going. In slower moving vehicles, it would be more fuel efficient windows down while in faster moving vehicles, it's more efficient to have the windows up and A/C running due to wind resistance.

btw, I saw a very informative report about hypermiling on CNN. a Honda Accord A/T that could get 50mpg. but some tips are outrageously dangerous, including shutting your engine off while cruising... not braking while turning.
    Yes but it's just probably talking about the extreme side of trying to stretch as much distance per liter of fuel in an ordinary car. Hypermiling can be easily done on US highways but nearly impossible in Manila, although I am guilty of not braking when taking turns.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; June 3rd, 2008 at 09:39 PM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Aircon definitely affects FC that I have tested myself. What they might be saying though is if you turn off the aircon and open the windows instead and run at a high speed that creates drag which is a burden for the engine thus FC also suffers. So when travelling at high speeds opening the AC might be better than opening the window, pero at stop and go traffic opening the window is better...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Really misleading title... proper tire inflation is not a myth... it's a fact... as explained. They should just caution people against over-inflation.

As for AC... that's stupid. Obviously, you will always use less gas with the AC off. Much less gas, especially with the small displacement low horsepower engines in use here in the Philippines. They should state that opening your windows wastes gas.

But who opens their windows at 60 mph, anyway? What the hell is the vent-open switch for, anyway?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    im 100% sure about the tire air pressure thing.

Ever tried pedalling a bicycle with underinflated tires? Hirap diba?

pero pag hinanginan mo na, mas madali na i-pedal.

Same with cars. The engine needs more power to spin under-inflated.

-------------

Aircon. Aircon is LOAD on the engine. the aircon sucks power from the engine. So u step on the gas more to get up to speed.

-------------

Air filter. in EFI engines, the amount of fuel injected is based on how much air is sensed by the MAP/MAF.

If u have a dirty filter, the MAP/MAF senses less air, so less fuel is injected.

Sa EFI, u don't burn more fuel with a dirty air filter. U just get less power.

conflicting news: Gas Saving Tips CNN, FOX, ABS