New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    wow, 3 years, obvious talaga na baguhan ako sa diesel. ngayon ko lang nalaman about biodiesel. but, better late than never

andy

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    OT but hope you guys won't mind. Why the need to replace filter after using several days (how many days yun -- estimate lang po)? Bakit parang yung ibang comments sabi matagal bago dumudumi yung filter nila? Parang conflict eh. Please shed some light. TY!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    *RDL4D56

kung medyo luma na diesel vehicle mo at malaki ang kinakarga mo, say 5-10%, on a regular basis (that's about 1 gallon to 1 1/2 gallon per full tank depending on the size of your tank), kailangan magpalit ng fuel filter kasi nililinis ng biodiesel/cocodiesel yung fuel tank and fuel lines mo. this happened to me recently. I was loaded 1 gallon followed by a weekly shot of 1 liter each. ayun, nagbara yun fuel filter ko. the sign of filter clogging would be indicated by poor acceleration and low topspeed kahit na naka floor na accelerator mo. when I changed my fuel filter, ok na ulit. the residues cleaned out by the biodiesel will easily clog up your filter.
    kung pakonti konti lang gamit mo, say, half liter per full tank, it's still advisable to change fuel filters every 5k just to make sure. make sure also that you don't use ordinary rubber hose for your fuel lines, especially if you use a high dosage of biodiesel. biodiesel is a more aggressive solvent compared to pure diesel.

saan ba may filling station ng bio diesel dito sa metro manila?

phil: wala pa but I heard from Senbel na nasa execom na ng Malacanang. Election kasi so tigil muna. I do deliver 20 liter carbouys for free. (yung delivery lang ha)

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    http://philstar.com/philstar/News200406112604.htm
    Alternatives to crude oil
    GOTCHA By Jarius Bondoc
    The Philippine Star 06/11/2004

"We are again in the throes of a fuel crisis," reader Manuel C. Diaz reacts to my series on terrorism-triggered price surges. "We cannot solve our fuel dependency by demonstrating every time OPEC increases prices." An engineer, Diaz has long been espousing the use of ethanol from sugar cane as alternative fuel. To be sure, ethanol is now in use in five South American countries, among them producers of petroleum and natural gas like Venezuela and Chile.

Diaz explains the process: "We can replace gasoline with 10-percent ethanol, or E10 reformulated fuel. This will save us at least $120 million a year as import substitution, and also decrease pollution. We should start putting up ethanol plants in our sugar mills, instead of crying in the streets for lower fuel prices."

There’s another alternative, Diaz adds: "We can produce bio-diesel from crude coconut oil. This is B20, the standard biolfuel in the US. B20 is 20 percent coco-diesel and 80 percent mineral diesel, which also is low on pollution."

President Gloria Arroyo has in fact ordered coconut authorities to perfect their production of coco-diesel instead of wasting time on short-term projects for farmers. Last year, she ordered all government agencies to use at least one percent of coco-diesel on their vehicles. The aim is to bring down the cost of producing it from the present P60 per liter to rates lower than imported fuels.

But Diaz says the coco-diesel presently being promoted by industry leaders is toxic because methanol-based. It is no different from methanol derived from petroleum. Ethanol from molasses is safe.

So, what is the biodiesel we have right now, methanol or ethanol based? Toxic daw ang methanol based.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    what type of fuel lines are we supposed to replace the stock ones with? or will the stock ones be ok?

from what I know, biodiesel is ethanol based. Although I haven't heard of any complains regarding toxicity.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    *altec,
    reaction ko lang sa news item... si manny diaz, member or chairman yata (?) ng PIP (petroleum institute of the philippines). kaya parang biased na rin yan for the oil companies. and the oil companies are not at all happy about the biodiesel thing... kaya wag kayo magtaka kung medyo negative ang comments nya about biodiesel. meron kasi ngayon politics about this biodiesel thing.
    true, biodiesel is partly derived from methanol, but it is reacted, it's not free methanol. any excess methanol is stripped off during the refining stage. and our local biodiesel has already tested for toxicity and it was found to be non-toxic (I saw the test report first hand, it was done locally on local biodiesel). why? because it is derived from a food-grade substance - coconut oil. just giving you the hard facts.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    No wonder he had a problem against our local biodiesel. It must be really hard for him..

rsnald, thanks for the info. now I know. :D

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    thanks, rsnald. Yung 5% inclusion would effectively increase the diesel fuel cost by how much per liter of diesel? Pero would you say this extra cost is offset partly or wholly with better fuel economy?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Biodiesel users info