New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    i noticed that my km/l goes down fast when engine is idle on traffic, then did some search on google:

that re-starting the engine roughly consumes fuel equivalent to 4 seconds of idle engine, so some are suggesting that when you know you're stopping in traffic for more than 10 seconds, it's best to just shut off the engine and start again when the traffic flows again

however, trade off is the extra load or wear to the starter, but some sites mentioned that restarting engines during traffic only add US$10 to your maintenance cost which greatly offset the gasoline consumed during idle in traffic

what you guys think?

ok kung walang starting prob sasakyan mo......plastic parts nalang ang starters ng new cars..not recomended for that feat..

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    It's hard on the starter, starter relay and battery. You can still do it, but definitely not after just 10 seconds of idle time. Maybe if you know you'll be waiting in the car for at least 3-5 mins, it'll be a good idea to turn off the engine.

Another thing is the A/C. On a hot day, I doubt you'd last 2 minutes inside the cabin without A/C.

Hybrid cars shuts off the engine when stopped. A dedicated electric motor running off of the batteries operate the A/C compressor when the engine is not running.

tama un nakalimutan ko--pag patay-buhay ka ng makina, maddrain naman baterya mo...di kasi kumkarga alternator mo....in the end di mo ma-sstart pag na-flat ang battery.. unless mechanical carburated-MT angride mo (eg. owner type jeep)

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy View Post
    tama un nakalimutan ko--pag patay-buhay ka ng makina, maddrain naman baterya mo...di kasi kumkarga alternator mo....in the end di mo ma-sstart pag na-flat ang battery.. unless mechanical carburated-MT angride mo (eg. owner type jeep)
    yes but it should charge when you're running unless the battery is defective

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    It's hard on the starter, starter relay and battery. You can still do it, but definitely not after just 10 seconds of idle time. Maybe if you know you'll be waiting in the car for at least 3-5 mins, it'll be a good idea to turn off the engine.

Another thing is the A/C. On a hot day, I doubt you'd last 2 minutes inside the cabin without A/C.

Hybrid cars shuts off the engine when stopped. A dedicated electric motor running off of the batteries operate the A/C compressor when the engine is not running.
    yes the A/C is turned off on regular cars... i think that's the issue. but on regular car you can keep the aircon running on fan mode while there are still cool air inside.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ^ Yes, but that doesn't solve the associated stress on your starter motor, solenoid, relay, gear teeth, flywheel teeth and battery. Not to mention repeatedly subjecting your engine to heat soak. Something's gotta give eventually and I wouldn't want to be the one scratching my head when my car fails to start at a busy intersection with a mob of angry drivers behind me.

It DEFINITELY saves gas, but at what cost?

Again, regular cars aren't designed for this, especially with the type of stop and go traffic we have here. Imagine turning off and starting your engine at least 10-20 times on your daily commute.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Personally, I would not recommend shutting off the engine when caught in heavy traffic....

9101:thatsit:

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    ^ Yes, but that doesn't solve the associated stress on your starter motor, solenoid, relay, gear teeth, flywheel teeth and battery. Not to mention repeatedly subjecting your engine to heat soak. Something's gotta give eventually and I wouldn't want to be the one scratching my head when my car fails to start at a busy intersection with a mob of angry drivers behind me.

It DEFINITELY saves gas, but at what cost?

Again, regular cars aren't designed for this, especially with the type of stop and go traffic we have here. Imagine turning off and starting your engine at least 10-20 times on your daily commute.
    Heat soak happens when your engine is on inside a stationary car, with no moving air coming in the front except from the fans (which sometimes isn't enough). Turning off the engine then turning the key back to the "on" position turns the fans back on... which cools the engine bay a bit.

Yes, there is the problem of extra wear and tear on the starter... but a hot engine is much, much easier to start than a cold one, so it's not that bad.

Newer cars with start-stop functions to save fuel, though, have higher-speed starters to minimize wear.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If engines shut down cylinders at low load levels (like the Accord and some Chrysler HEMI engines), it would help.

But shutting down the engine and starting constantly, unless you're expecting to be idling for several minutes, is not adviseable. The wear and tear costs won't offset your fuel savings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
avoiding engine idle