New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Magandang gawain ba na everytime na traffic eh iseset natin to neutral instead of drive? Mas makakatipid ba tayo sa gas?

Anong mas better,
    1. Neutral & hand brake
    2. Neutral & brake

Kumokonsumo ba ang automatic cars pag inapakan natin ang brake?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Natural Meron pa rin consumption naka on engine Mo Diba, eh di Meron konsumo.

Walang difference pag traffic Wala lang nstitipid na gasoline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Should you really shift to neutral when stuck in traffic? | Topgear PH

the engine does consume more fuel and you do wear down your brake-system components more when you leave your transmission in D or Drive while the traffic light is red or when you’re idling and waiting.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I made a video on my Civic FD years ago. In my not-so-scientific test, fuel consumption (at least on this car) is between 30-48% higher when the gear is engaged (D) while idling at a stop.

On the other hand, if you shift to Neutral on every stop, you will wear out the clutch bands faster. So, strike a balance between saving fuel and reducing wear on your transmission by shifting to N only if you anticipate it to be a very long stop.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    On the other hand, if you shift to Neutral on every stop, you will wear out the clutch bands faster.
    Palagay ko hindi naman makaka apekto gaano sa clutch kung nasa N yung sasakyan since naka disengage sya sa engine.

Di rin naman pwede ilagay sa P since mag-unlock yung mga pinto...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Do it on long stops lang. Notice it, when shifting from D to N, slightly for a few seconds aangat ang RPM level mo. If you do this every time you stop even for a bit, you are exposing parts to excessive wear/tear and baka hindi ka rin naka tipid sa gas.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    Palagay ko hindi naman makaka apekto gaano sa clutch kung nasa N yung sasakyan since naka disengage sya sa engine.

Di rin naman pwede ilagay sa P since mag-unlock yung mga pinto...
    It's the unnecessary engaging and disengaging of the internal clutch packs is what causes the additional wear.

8. Join Date
    May 2016
    For me N plus hand brake, as per defensive driving technique, on a stoplight. On stop and go traffic, N plus brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Actually, this is a common misconception ... your rpm is lower when it's in Drive compared to Neutral ... thereby consuming less fuel ... it's safer to shift to neutral ... but it's also OK to leave it in Drive ...

5 Things You Should Never Do In An Automatic Transmission Vehicle - YouTube

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Actually, this is a common misconception ... your rpm is lower when it's in Drive compared to Neutral ... thereby consuming less fuel ... it's safer to shift to neutral ... but it's also OK to leave it in Drive ...

5 Things You Should Never Do In An Automatic Transmission Vehicle - YouTube
    the rpm is less because the engine is rpm-ing against a resistance.
    the fuel consumption is the same, or even more because the engine will die if it can't work against the resistance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast