New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFTER WARRANTY RUNS OUT
    What drives car owners away from their dealers?

By Tessa R. Salazar
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    2:54 am | Wednesday, September 12th, 2012

There is that formal Spanish greeting that warmly says, “Mi casa es su casa,” which translates to English as “My house is your house.” Filipino car owners certainly feel that way when they buy a brand-new car from their friendly neighborhood dealership. They feel welcomed. And as long as the warranties are effective, the car owners regularly bring in their cars for routine checkups, top-ups, tune-ups and repairs.

But then, after the warranties expire, say after three to five years, a strange thing happens. The visits by the car owners abruptly stop. What gives?

Admittedly, car owners have always had delicate relationships with their dealerships. It has always been one where each has had to watch their backs, the general overriding perception being that consumer protection agencies here are all bark but no bite. Consumers—and these are the car owners—end up griping about lousy service, botched repairs and procedures on their cars in online forums. Netizens share such horror stories, and whether these are true or not, they sure deserve some thought and further investigation.

Case in point: Real estate developer Eduardo Sanchez, 48, has been driving for 30 years and has owned his fair share of vehicles of various brands. He had established good relationships with two dealers of Japanese brands, and by that he means that he still brings his cars to the casa even after their warranties had expired. “They have given me no reason to doubt them,” he stressed.

But it was not the same with a non-Japanese brand he owned recently. He said the incident involved “a very small item” that would have been taken for granted: the third brake light, which was conspicuously absent from his high-end model 2011 pickup. Sanchez explained that the third brake light should have been standard in his model.

“I thought to myself, big deal, I’ll buy one in any legitimate auto shop and get it installed in 30 minutes. Imagine my surprise, then, when I was informed by my dealer that doing so would void the electrical systems warranty. So I say, you do it then. And they say, sure—then named a price four times higher than the German and Japanese aftermarket alternatives.”

In the end, Sanchez never did get the third brake light installed in his pickup. What he did get from the dealership was bad vibes, and a vow to never again buy from this manufacturer.

Sanchez isn’t alone; his experience is replicated up to 70 percent of the time.

Inquirer Motoring talked to car experts and found out from them that up to 70 percent of car owners didn’t return their cars to the casa after the warranty ran out (in certain countries, car manufacturers estimate that only 30 percent of car buyers return to dealers for service after their warranty runs out. Auto expert Mark Eskeldson noted that poor service, high prices, and callous service people are often given as reasons for people to take their cars to other shops. And some told they were offered unnecessary repairs).

Arnel Doria, founder of Safe T Ryders Training Center and former marketing head of one of the biggest car companies in the Philippines, said that with the escalation of the cost of casa repairs and increasing availability of replacement parts from importers, “this behavior has hardly changed to this day.”

The behavior Doria refers to has been illustrated into a diagram (shown here) wherein majority of the car owners don’t return to their casa for services after warranty runs out.

Doria, who used to supervise after-sales service and spare parts operation in his capacity as marketing head, said that most manufacturers nowadays offer a 100,000-km or three-year warranty (whichever comes first), but because most owners just travel within Metro Manila every day for an average of 20,000 km per year, the three-year warranty lapses before owners reach the 100,000-km limit.

“From this point on, it would be a continuous downward trend until it reaches almost zero (except for some loyal customers who still bring their cars to the casa). The 30-percent coverage is a very optimistic figure,” quipped Doria.

Ferman Lao, Car Awards Group Inc. president and Top Gear Philippines technical editor, said that though he doesn’t have anything to base his estimates on, he guesses “at least half of the total number of new car buyers would not return to the dealerships after their warranty runs out.” Lao, who maintains his own car performance tuning shop, based this figure on what he has heard from new car owners, who more often than not said that the only reason they were taking their cars back to the casa was because of the warranty.

Niky Tamayo-Ortiz, test-drive editor for several publications, said, “In the United States, the percentage (of owners maintaining their cars outside of the casa even within the warranty period) is much higher than in the Philippines, because ASE certification and laws in the States force manufacturers to honor warranty claims on cars maintained by certified mechanics outside the dealerships. Here, (because of the lack of such laws) I’d say maybe 70 to 80 percent stay with the dealer for the first three years, and likely that drops to 30 percent after five years.”

So why do customers run to the nearest exits once the dealers’ warranty runs out? Sources’ reasons range from overpricing of many areas of periodic maintenance procedures and parts replacements, to the quality of the workmanship/labor performed, to that general perception of owners that they had been “cheated” by the casa.

Doria stressed that the main reason would still be the cost.

“High-quality replacement parts have found their way into the local market; some of them are even genuine parts imported by enterprising traders. There is a wide perception that because of huge overhead costs (rent, labor and marketing), casa charges are overly expensive. In contrast, alternative shops have improved their appearance and level of expertise (by hiring former casa technicians). Nowadays, even Shell, Caltex, Total and Petron are engaged in motorcar servicing; with their great-looking shops and reputable names, many owners would not mind bringing their vehicles to them, at lower cost.”

Doria added that “rude and cheating employees of casas worsen the problem. But they are not the main reason. Garage shops have their own share of rude and cheating technicians.”

Leslie Sy of Kotse.com said he would even estimate that 75 percent would not return to the casa. Sy cited the major booboos of car dealerships contributing to this “diaspora”: high prices in labor and parts; mechanics with little experience diagnosing car problems or who are more than willing to recommend expensive repairs and parts replacement but do not guarantee the problem will be fixed; and long lines to get the car serviced, even for basic periodic tune-ups.

Lao offered his own observations: Premium prices without perceived commensurate value offered; Failure of service technicians to solve vehicle problems that vehicle owners view as simple problems or should not take as long as they should; Poor quality control on work performed on vehicles; and slow turnaround time.

“I don’t know about now, but when I still used to go to dealerships for simple service work such as an oil change, a job that’s performed in 15 minutes would take practically a whole day to get done because of long wait times,” quipped Lao.

Tamayo enumerated: “High prices, poor service, unneeded repairs and general dissatisfaction with difficult warranty claims. Most customers stick with the dealer only until they have a denied warranty issue.”
    ... continued next page....

source: What drives car owners away from their dealers? | Inquirer Business

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    .... continued....

Lower the cost

Doria said that manufacturers must develop new and cheaper source of spare parts locally or within the Asia/Asean region to lower the cost of maintenance. “The government can help by reducing the import duty of spare parts to that of CKD parts, especially the critical parts. Moreover, they should also develop a new network of service/parts shops, independent from the casas or full-service dealerships, located nearer to the residential areas.”

Counter-sales of selected preventive maintenance parts will also draw out-of-warranty owners back to the dealerships. But this is a tricky approach to the problem, as it may potentially encourage DIY [do-it-yourself] repairs.

Sy said that in order for car owners to return to their casas, the latter must offer: more realistic parts prices and labor fees; faster turnaround time for simple jobs (such as periodic oil-change tune-ups); and better diagnostics, which would keep customers from paying unnecessary labor fees and unnecessary parts changes.

Lao said better quality of service would be key. “If you treat your clients right, then there should be no reason for them to not come back to you, unless they moved out of the area so that it would no longer be practical to go back to you,” he said.

Tamayo-Ortiz said an “aggressive after-service follow-up program, wherein customers receive calls to remind them of preventive maintenance schedules and to ask about service issues can help retain customers who would otherwise jump ship.”

Asked to cite notorious dealerships, Tamayo-Ortiz said: “Not to name names, but there are those infamous for charging for platinum spark plugs at every other oil change (location of dealership: somewhere along Shaw Boulevard) or denying warranty work on even the most obvious warranty defects (location of dealership: somewhere in Bonifacio Global City).

Tamayo-Ortiz mentioned a dealership in Alabang, which has made a series of embarrassing blunders, such as sending home cars with the wrong wheels. “You’d think they would notice when a car goes out of their garage with three aftermarket 18-inch wheels and one stock mag! But again, the service advisor himself makes all the difference, as I often go to the same dealership and have no issues.”

Doria related that when he brought his car (not of the brand that he used to manage) a couple of times to the dealership, he said “I got very disappointed at their cost and quality of service. Now, my car is serviced by my friendly neighborhood shop. Not as clean and good-looking as the casa, but I get what I pay for.”

So, readers, what have been your good and bad experiences with casas/dealerships? Share only if you’re willing to back it up. Please e-mail tsalazar*inquirer.com.ph.
    source: What drives car owners away from their dealers? | Inquirer Business

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Friendly neighborhood shop/s for me for most of our vehicles....

16.8K:laundry:

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Often, in the final year of my car's warranty, I might decide not to take it to the casa anymore IF the cost & time of having it serviced at the casa was too much.

I agree with the article that for simple jobs (like sparkplug & oil change), it takes the casa a full day to have it done while at the gas stations it would only take them 30 to 45 minutes at most, and there might be a dozen misc items charged to you aside from the items replaced.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Often, in the final year of my car's warranty, I might decide not to take it to the casa anymore IF the cost & time of having it serviced at the casa was too much.

I agree with the article that for simple jobs (like sparkplug & oil change), it takes the casa a full day to have it done while at the gas stations it would only take them 30 to 45 minutes at most, and there might be a dozen misc items charged to you aside from the items replaced.
    I stopped taking my Gen 9.5 Altis after the 10,000kms service. Never looked back and i did save in time and money by buying parts from Toyota suppliers and having a non-casa shop or mechanic do the maintenance work. The 40,000km service (a major service stop) done by a mechanic and i spent only around P3,000-P4,000 for the parts and labor and this took up one Saturday morning. Half of what the CASA would charge me.

For my Gen 10.5 Corolla, i had the 5,000km change oil service done at Toyota North EDSA. Price was okay but i still hate the fact that they will not allow us to bring our own oils and buy the pricey in-house oil. Chances are after the 10,000kms service i'll be going to my preferred shops just as well unless i become happy with the service of the CASA.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    My casa experience on my first bnew car has been ok so far. It helps if you set an appointment to avoid the wait time. My 10k PMS was done in just a little over an hour. A casa visible from my office window has a "beat the clock or it's free" tarp on its walls.

Once my warranty expires I will be doing my own oil changes though. Brake pads, filters, shocks and commonly replaced parts are cheaper elsewhere. I might bring the car back to the casa for the ATF change but that's it.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    in my experience:
    - cheating service advisor (allan mendoza) at honda shaw, not following instructions and doing double-entry of parts
    - incompetent service people at toyota bicutan, been disappointed a few times (scratch, tires not returned in the original position, broken shock mount not noticed)
    - in general, employees at the parts counter who do not know their cars

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I guess I belong to the 30%. My car is coming up on its 5th year in January and I'm still having it serviced at Honda S.P.A. (Mindanao Ave.). They're 'casa' in the strictest sense but they present themselves like a regular talyer; I can walk over to where my car is and inspect the work being carried out. That, including the opportunity to interact with the mechanics while they do their magic, makes for having a better relationship with them.

It is because of this paradigm shift on the way Honda S.P.A. treats its customers that gave me the chance to appreciate the kind of work they're doing. More often than not, they are more equipped, they use the right tool for the right job and they have with them the experience of fixing the same set of car models again and again for hundreds, maybe thousands of hours. I have learned a lot talking to my mechanic.

In most other dealerships, you will be asked to wait in the customers' lounge while they work on your car at a distance or in an Area 51-type secluded part of their building. This is usually where most of the hocus pocus happens.
    Last edited by oj88; September 12th, 2012 at 01:23 PM.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I guess I belong to the 30%. My car is coming up on its 5th year in January and I'm still having it serviced at Honda S.P.A. (Mindanao Ave.). They're 'casa' in the strictest sense but they present themselves like a regular talyer; I can walk over to where my car is and inspect the work being carried out. That, including the opportunity to interact with the mechanics while they do their magic, makes for having a better relationship with them.

It is because of this paradigm shift on the way Honda S.P.A. treats its customers that gave me the chance to appreciate the kind of work they're doing. More often than not, they are more equipped, they use the right tool for the right job and they have with them the experience of fixing the same set of car models again and again for hundreds, maybe thousands of hours. I have learned a lot talking to my mechanic.

In most other dealerships, you will be asked to wait in the customers' lounge while they work on your car at a distance or in an Area 51-type secluded part of their building. This is usually where most of the hocus pocus happens.
    Diyan din ako nagpapa-service ng aking kotse... 3 years na ngayon, pero malamang ay sa friendly neighborhood shop na ako.... More than half a day rin ang mawawala sa akin kung pupunta ako riyan....

16.8K:laundry:

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    My 4 month old van, with 11k on the odometer, never went back to the casa for PMS. I rely on my trusted mechanic for any issue regarding the car- cheaper, better and more reliable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast