New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ARCHIE H. BLUE

Blue is from New Zealand and obtained a patent on a very simple electrolyser that he claims will supply a sufficient amount of an oxygen/hydrogen/air mix to run an internal combustion engine.

His patent (US patent no. 4,124,463 was issued on November 7, 1978. It may be obtained from the US Patent Office.

A description of the invention of Blue as contained in a published article, is given below:

Almost all drivers have made the experience that the motor runs better when it rains. This is also a reason why our parents sprayed coal with water to make it burn better. Therefore it is no wonder that for years some drivers have used a kind of water spray injector, which is very simple. It is a container of plastic or glass, which can be closed airtight. A thin pipe with an aquarium valve leads through the top cover down close to the bottom of the container. A second pipe enters only about 5 cm into the container from the top cover and is connected with the carburettor or the air filter. The container is filled with water to just below the level of the second pipe. The suction of the carburettor pulls air through the water in the container and so adds hydrogen and oxygen to the gas mixture, which results in a lowered consumption of gasoline.

This simple mechanism was improved by the New Zealand inventor Archie Blue with some additions so that the water vapor alone can run an internal combustion engine, without gasoline. It runs about 40 km with 1 liter of water.

His american patent (number 4 124 463) is so simple that anyone with mechanical skills can produce it. On the non-metallic air pipe that enters the container, are mounted at equidistant intervals eight corrosion free round metallic plates, which have been perforated with numerous holes. They are electrified alternately with positive and negative DC voltage from the car battery (12 Volt, 2-3 Amp).

The resulting electrolysis separates the water into oxygen and hydrogen which attach to the metal plates in small bubbles. The air bubbles forced through the water by the suction of the carburettor take those small bubbles of hydrogen and oxygen with them to the top of the container. The energy thus obtained is three times that of gasoline per weight. No poisonous exhaust gases are produced because the end product of combustion is water vapor.

The air needs only 4 % of enrichment with these gases to burn hotter and faster than natural gas.

Warm water is easier to electrolyse and therefore a heating element is mounted in the bottom of the container.

Here an attempt to reproduce the cell design in ascii:

cell design link:
    http://www.hasslberger.com/tecno/tecno_3.htm

===============================

Could this be the power source of Dingle's Water Car?
    Last edited by ghosthunter; April 11th, 2005 at 09:13 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    technically feasible ba na mapaandar ang isang car? malaki-laking reactor ang kailangan mo di ba?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup, thats what I was thinking. It should take a big reactor (or a lot of smaller units) to power a car's engine.

At best, it might be more feasable to build a "reactor" unit to help extend a car's fuel milage.

This is something I might work on a later date. :D

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    problem is that they forgot their basic physics... the same energy that the H2 + 0 reaction (combustion) will make is also required to make H20 into H2. so energy made is just cancelled out.

electrolysis is an inefficient way of splitting H20. although other scientists are already trying to figure out new ways to split H20. if they do, this will be the new goldmine of the 21st centry.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter
    yup, thats what I was thinking. It should take a big reactor (or a lot of smaller units) to power a car's engine.

At best, it might be more feasable to build a "reactor" unit to help extend a car's fuel milage.

This is something I might work on a later date. :D
    my father was involved in an early gas-saver project of dingle in the mid 70's. from what i have seen, i guess it was a vapor bleed device. there is a 'reactor' where air passes & through a water reservoir. when i saw the insides of the reactor, it was basically copper tubing with something inside the tube. the outside of the copper tube turns whitish w/ some blue green crystals (same color found in copper exposed to air but larger). i guess dingle used the same tech in his water-driven car because he said that they adjust the carb to a lean mixture then 'paamoy' na lang from the reactor.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmmmm..... asan ba si ser yebo....kelangan nyang makita yang article na yan.....hehehehe

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    the process of injecting water into a combustion chamber to boost power is an old one. strange but true, adding water improves engine power. the World War II Focke-Wulf Fw-190E Wurger "Butcher Bird" had what is called MW50 boost on its Jumo 213A radial engine. This boost was simply water injection, used for emergency power.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico
    the process of injecting water into a combustion chamber to boost power is an old one. strange but true, adding water improves engine power. the World War II Focke-Wulf Fw-190E Wurger "Butcher Bird" had what is called MW50 boost on its Jumo 213A radial engine. This boost was simply water injection, used for emergency power.
    er... we aren't suggesting water injection here. More like H2 and O2 injection through the car's air intake. H2 and O2 being produced by an electrolysis cell (or by a number of cells) inside the car's engine bay.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    My dear ghosthunter,

Thanks you for bringing this thread up.
    And to the one who posted the law of thermodinamics, try attaching this to your engine (should be without o2 sensor) then you would feel a better performance from your engine. If the in=out then why would there be an increase in power?

Ghosthunter,
    You can use this setup in series to make 1.5 volts, this would lower the electrolysis temperature and increase your H2+o2 production. You can add a bit of water or steam and you can feel the big difference. Please e-mail me for the details, don't worry I'll just send you a link to our group you don't have to pay anything.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by reym
    Ghosthunter,
    You can use this setup in series to make 1.5 volts, this would lower the electrolysis temperature and increase your H2+o2 production. You can add a bit of water or steam and you can feel the big difference. Please e-mail me for the details, don't worry I'll just send you a link to our group you don't have to pay anything.
    actually I have constructed a small & rough test electrolysis cell to test a few parameters and materials out before building a bigger version. The gas production at 12volts DC and 3amps is not that much. So how could 1.5volts generate more gas than 12v?

I am currently working on the assumption that higher voltage (and lower amp) will producing more hydrogen/oxygen gas.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
ARCHIE H. BLUE Water Powered "Reactor" (for car use?)