New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    [SIZE=2]The Daily Tribune
    Thursday, August 16, 2007

20,000 vehicles seen shifting to LPG fuel
    By Riza Recio

Local liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) distributors forecast the conversion of 20,000 units of vehicles by the end of the year to run on LPG as fuel.

An alliance of independent oil firms with the local unit of the world’s largest marketer of LPG, Liquigaz Philippines Corp., was recently launch in anticipation of the surge in the number of vehicles running on LPG as a result of historically-high gasoline prices.

Aside from Liquigaz, the group is composed of Naiadss Corp., Sea Oil Philippines Inc., Eastern Petroleum Corp., AutoLPG Co. and minor independent players Unioil Petroleum Philippines Inc., Fura Lo Gas Inc.

The alliance will form the biggest network of auto LPG networks in the Philippines.

"With this alliance, both the industry and the environment stand to gain. We are creating a network of strategically-located stations that offer ample options to fill tanks in Metro Manila while at the same further promoting the use of clean fuel," Liquigaz president Patrick Libihoul said.

Liquigaz is a wholly owned subsidairy of SHV Group Holland, the world’s largest LPG supply and distribution company with a presence in 23 countries.
    It is projected that 20,000 additional vehicles would convert into LPG use this year aside from an existing 18,000 to 20,000 units already running on LPG fuel.

The savings on fuel cost will amount to P1.4 billion monthly, Mario Tan, president and CEO of AutoLPG Co., operator of four LPG refilling stations and supplier of conversion kits, said.

Among the programs for immediate implementation of the LPG alliance include partnership with private company fleets to convert into auto LPG, expansion of refilling stations, propogation of the conversion kits originating from partner companies in Turkey, China, Korea and Italy, and introduction of China auto LPG buses in Metro Manila.

Liquigaz, with investments of P100 million for the auto LPG alone, and currently supplying 65 percent of the total demand in auto LPG has operation of its own largest pressurized LPG import terminal in the Philippines and in Asia located in Bataan, having a storage capacity of 12,000 metric tons.
    [/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Stricter quality control should also be maintained when this program moves ahead.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    If that number is composed of taxis, jeeps and other public-utility vehicles, then that's fine.

Pero for me, di ako papayag na gumamit ng LPG sa kotse ko...... unless it is from the car manufacturer mismo (ie. Volvo S40 with Bi-Fuel & V50 with Multi-Fuel)

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
    Pero for me, di ako papayag na gumamit ng LPG sa kotse ko...... unless it is from the car manufacturer mismo (ie. Volvo S40 with Bi-Fuel & V50 with Multi-Fuel)

No one is forcing you. But I love the cheaper fuel. P23/L for LPG. Been using for a year and driven to places like Clark/Subic, Tarlac and Baguio City.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    No one is forcing you. But I love the cheaper fuel. P23/L for LPG. Been using for a year and driven to places like Clark/Subic, Tarlac and Baguio City.
    Then that's a relief (unlike sa Australia ata where they are encouraging LPG via conversion kits).

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
    Then that's a relief (unlike sa Australia ata where they are encouraging LPG via conversion kits).
    They are encouraging it via tax breaks and similar incentives. That is not forcing someone to convert his vehicle.

If you are willing to pay P40/L for your car's fuel, it is your car and money to burn. Just don't complain about the high cost of gasoline because the alternative is available to you to use.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Huh? (checks previous post)

Oh, I see it now (something wrong with the way I posted)

I'm not saying bad things about you choosing LPG (if that's what you mean). To be honest, I am not against your choice nor the choice of anyone to use LPG for automotive use. Heck, I'm not against the LPG itself (I'm kinda open).

It's just that personally, I don't feel ready on using LPG if it is only through conversion kits. Perhaps if they did it through official acts from the manufacturer (like Volvo Bi-Fuel and Multi-Fuel and MB E200 NGT unleaded + CNG), then I will be open to it.

But at the moment, if no car manufacturers are open to it, then I may not go with that route (via third-party conversion kits)........but that's just me.

I do apologize if my post sounded like I was dissing your choice of you (ghosthunter) using LPG for your own vehicles. It must have been me hurrying with the typing of my previous post but trust me, I have no intention of dissing you at all, sir ghosthunter.

So I apologize Sir ghosthunter if any harm has been done unto you by my previous post earlier.

No harm intended at all

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Anywayz, where are the provincial filling stations?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    sir ghosthunter,

diba iba ang timing ng lpg sa gasolina? paano yun everytime you switch for one fuel to another, adjust timing ka? ao ba magandang brand ng lpg kit?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by impulzz View Post
    sir ghosthunter,

diba iba ang timing ng lpg sa gasolina? paano yun everytime you switch for one fuel to another, adjust timing ka? ao ba magandang brand ng lpg kit?
    well, its up to you to what results you want.

-timing set to stock gasoline: results in less power from LPG and less than optimum fuel mileage. No problems in starting in LPG or gasoline.

-timing set to 10 degrees advanced from stock: results in optimum LPG performance & fuel mileage with stock engine compression ratio. Problems like engine knock when running on gasoline and hard starts. Further increase in performance with LPG can be achieved by increasing the compression ratio slightly.

-timing set at 5 degrees advance: compromise performance between LPG & gasoline. In this case, it would be best to use higher octane gasoline to avoid engine knock when using gasoline. In my case, 92/93 octane works well enough without engine knock but with performance (with gasoline) hindered a bit. Typically engine starts in two "clicks" under LPG.

ano ba magandang brand ng lpg kit?
    Any of the more established brands are fine. That would include (but no limited to) NAIADSS, Lanlorenzo and Petron. It is important to note that some cars would require the more expensive SGI LPG kits which would typically cost twice more than the older carb type LPG kits. These would include cars whose engines have plastic intake manifolds like the Mazda3, Honda City/Jazz, etc.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; August 22nd, 2007 at 11:07 PM.

20,000 vehicles seen shifting to LPG fuel