New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Just wanted to get thoughts on the 3 options. Basically, choice of 3 is because of limited price and the fact that all are 7 seaters. Kindly comment on what to choose if priority issue is gas consumption and ride - matagtag ba o hindi. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Just wanted to get thoughts on the 4 options. Basically, choice of 4 is because of limited price and the fact that all are 5 seaters. Kindly comment on what to choose if priority issue is gas consumption and ride - matagtag ba o hindi. Thanks.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    We have both the '06 CRV 2WD 5 pass (not the select edition but rather the more "loaded" version but phased out already) and '06 Fortuner 2.7 vvti gas. Based on experience, the 2.0li CRV does gulp more fuel than the 2.7li Fortuner.

Since I dont use the CRV, I cannot comment on whether its bumpy or "matagtag". But I heard it is quite bumpy as per the family member who uses it and also based on other posters from tsikot. Since you are after the 8 pass CRV, expect it to have a stiffer suspension and therefore bumpier ride than a 5 pass CRV.

The Fortuner that I drive is bumpy but not that bad as an L300. Of course, its ride is incomparable to a sedan. However, my ride is bumpier than normal bec. I overinflate the tires by at least 1 psi. I also tried to underinflate it before and the bumpiness was reduced quite a bit.

Of the three, two are being phased out within a year's time. The Everest (by the end of this year, I think) and CRV (by next's first half). The Fortuner's a good choice given that it can actually carry same amount of people more comfortably than the other two. It also sips less fuel than the CRV. The Everest is untouchable bec. it is diesel. Downside, the Fortuner is the most expensive of the three.
    Last edited by number001; September 23rd, 2006 at 11:07 PM.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    how come mas matakaw sa gas ang CRV? based on my undersanding, the bigger the engine displacement the more guzzler it is... 2.0 vs 2.7 pinaguusapan dito... but based on your observation mas matakaw yung crv? bkt po ganun?

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    A difficult comparison, I believe bec of the discrepancies in their body construction, engine displacement, fuel type, price, etc.

The Xtrail, Escape and Forester all have smoother ride than the ladder and frame based Montero Sport. The Montero uses diesel so expect it be thriftier when compared to others within its class and size.

What to choose? I would rule out, Forester based on your "limited price" budget. Btw, what is your budget? I would rule out the Montero Sport bec. it cannot compete with other non-ladder-frame-chassis vehicles in terms of ride comfort.

Which leaves you with either the X-Trail or Escape. I rode on an Escape V6 for more than a week in the US and I look upon it negatively bec. of the substandard build quality and boring interiors which it exuded upon me. So that would leave, the X-Trail as the sole survivor of my "axe" :D

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    how about Santa Fe? ayaw mo? panalo yon kasi mas maganda interior tska dami na masyado fortuner at hindi pa matagtag. ok din fuel economy. 7seater din sya pero pwede mo fold yung 3rd row incase kelangan mo space.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ehw953 View Post
    how come mas matakaw sa gas ang CRV? based on my undersanding, the bigger the engine displacement the more guzzler it is... 2.0 vs 2.7 pinaguusapan dito... but based on your observation mas matakaw yung crv? bkt po ganun?
    My mindset used to be like this also. But after running the numbers and comparing them, I think I have changed my mind. Would you believe even a V6 Venture can beat some of these vehicles in terms of fuel consumption.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    A difficult comparison, I believe bec of the discrepancies in their body construction, engine displacement, fuel type, price, etc.

The Xtrail, Escape and Forester all have smoother ride than the ladder and frame based Montero Sport. The Montero uses diesel so expect it be thriftier when compared to others within its class and size.

What to choose? I would rule out, Forester based on your "limited price" budget. Btw, what is your budget? I would rule out the Montero Sport bec. it cannot compete with other non-ladder-frame-chassis vehicles in terms of ride comfort.

Which leaves you with either the X-Trail or Escape. I rode on an Escape V6 for more than a week in the US and I look upon it negatively bec. of the substandard build quality and boring interiors which it exuded upon me. So that would leave, the X-Trail as the sole survivor of my "axe" :D
    No issue on price. It's really only the consumption and ride which we're evaluating.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jonski View Post
    how about Santa Fe? ayaw mo? panalo yon kasi mas maganda interior tska dami na masyado fortuner at hindi pa matagtag. ok din fuel economy. 7seater din sya pero pwede mo fold yung 3rd row incase kelangan mo space.
    im not too keen on hyundai. i guess hat's why choice was limited to 3

10. Join Date
    May 2005

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
XTRAIL vs. FORESTER vs. ESCAPE vs. MONTERO SPORT - on GAS consumption & RIDE [merged]