New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hey Guys,

Curious scenario. If you had P2.5M, would you go for a 2013 Previa? And would the P127K difference between the Standard and Q justify the Q's price? Or what would you go for?

Here's where I'm coming from:

My Mom is selling her 2005 Tribute V6 to upgrade into something in the 7-seater range. 7-seater? Here's why:
    - She has the occasional weekend driver duties for my grandfolks and their entourage and baggage. So that would be herself, and sometimes my dad, both her parents, personal nurse, and male alalay -- hard to call him boy when he's in his 50s na, hehe -- 2 wheelchairs and what have you. These are not long drives out of town, but in-city drives. Though of course this would be useful in out of town trips to Tagaytay, etc.
    - She has some weekday driver duties for our kids, too. So that's herself, a 4 and 2 year old, 2 yayas, and accompanying stuff.

Other factors:
    My Mom has an '03 Altis which she loves to bits which she uses everyday except for Monday (coding). This can handle the weekday driver duties with the kids for the meantime, but is too small when my Dad doesn't join her on the weekend with the grandfolks. When my Dad does join them, sometimes a 2nd car has to be taken, unless they can get my Tita's Carnival.

Grandfolks cannot climb anything higher than the current gen Kia Carnival (my Mom's sister's van, which the grandfolks occasionally ride if they can get my Tita's driver or if it's a Sunday). Innova and Tribute are actually a challenging climb for them already. No, they will not resort to the ergonomic chair that converts into a wheelchair that slides in and out of the car at the touch of a button. At least not yet.

The Innova is already tight with 5-6 folks, 2 wheelchairs and other baggage. The usual 7-seater SUVs are too tall, plus are about as big inside as the Innova. The GS and Carnival are too big for my Mom to drive and park, plus the GS is tall pa. The SWB Carnival, which would be an easier drive for her is not as spacious.

So the Previa. It's not much bigger than the Innova on the outside, so it's pretty compact for a van, something my Mom can drive with relative ease and can park. With ease? Well.... Inside it's a real 7 seater -- no cramped 3 row. Engine and fuel economy, she never really maxed the 3.0L Mazda V6 and I don't think the Previa drinks like it. I think the only gripe for me is the price -- which buys you 2 Innovas. But as in the case of the Prado vs. Fortuner, will 2 Fortuners really serve the desire, intent and purpose of a single Prado?

Any thoughts?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    With the full entourage + 2 wheelchairs, the Previa might still be a hard fit (better check the luggage space with the 3rd row in use). The Carnival LWB has much mor space if i recall correctly.

I love the Previa design though and if Toyota had a 3.5L variant of this, it would be one sweet van for me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    With the full entourage + 2 wheelchairs, the Previa might still be a hard fit (better check the luggage space with the 3rd row in use). The Carnival LWB has much mor space if i recall correctly.

I love the Previa design though and if Toyota had a 3.5L variant of this, it would be one sweet van for me.
    Gotta check Bro. Last time I was in a Previa for a test ride was way back in 2003. Hehehe! But I recall it had a sliding 3rd row (like that of the GS), so there should be ample room to make some adjustments. It's definitely smaller than the Carnival LWB, but bigger than an Innova. My estimate is that it's big enough.

I thought the entry of the Alphard killed the Previa altogether. Mahal din kasi yung Previa, for something smaller than the sizes of the popular Usual Suspects. Di pala, it's still there, but not selling as much I would think.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Best way to find out is to bring both wheelchairs and go car shopping... or to measure their size when folded and bring a tape measure.

-

The Previa is a really, really good van, but really expensive. A Starex is more practical, but it's a huge pain-in-the-ass for older people to climb into the driver's seat.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    carnival LWB na....

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Best way to find out is to bring both wheelchairs and go car shopping... or to measure their size when folded and bring a tape measure.

-

The Previa is a really, really good van, but really expensive. A Starex is more practical, but it's a huge pain-in-the-ass for older people to climb into the driver's seat.
    Hmm... Gotta go ask about and check out the Previa's inner dimensions then.

The GS and Carnival would be the practical choices, in terms of space and of price. But then the GS is too tall for the primary users (my Mom and grandparents), as they will have difficulty climbing up and going down, and the Carnival is quite long and wide for someone who drives a sedan on a regular basis. So sadly, they'll have to be excluded from this comparo.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just wanted to add, coz the Edit option is no longer available on the first post.

Excluded options:
    1) Grand Starex - too tall
    2) Carnival LWB - too long and too wide
    3) T&C - price
    4) Odyssey - price
    5) Alphard - price

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    have you consider looking at the situation in another way? like getting a driver for your mom? getting a Carnival + a driver should be a lot cheaper than getting a previa...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by coolman View Post
    have you consider looking at the situation in another way? like getting a driver for your mom? getting a Carnival + a driver should be a lot cheaper than getting a previa...
    Hehe! Been trying to get a driver, but it seems mauuna pa ang Previa.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    I'm in the market for a 7 seater van as well and looked at the Previa. Good driving dynamics and your mom shouldn't have an issue driving this. It sits all 7 pax comfortably, but your issue will be the luggage space. If you use the 3rd row, you have limited space especially for 2 wheel chairs and this is the reason why I dropped this from my list.

Don't exclude the Chrysler T&C, it's priced at 2.7M and check the dealer since they offer real good deals, I think I even saw a pre owned unit with less the 5k on the odometer. It is easy to drive, you can play around with various seating configurations and it is easy to move the chairs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast