New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Originally I wanted to bring a car from the states here.. but reality of taxes and other expenses hit me and now I'm looking at a Pajero and a Trooper.

The 2001 Trooper I test drove was way more comfortable than the 2003 Pajero Fieldmaster. But I must admit, the Black Pajero really pleases my eyes because the Trooper is a goldish color that is almost pangit. I am however leaning towards the Trooper because it's 160T less than the Pajero.

Now how reliable should I expect these two vehicles to be? I would mainly drive around Baguio, with the occasional drive to Manila. Any known issues with either I should be concerned about and check before the purchase?

I'm also a bit confused about the specifications of a 2001 Trooper. It's a turbo-diesel 3.0l 4-cylinder * 3800lbs?? At least thats what the registration says and seems a bit strange to me, but I'm not accustomed to driving TD.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

hmmmm..2001 models, no 4wd na yan for sure..2000 models below lang may 4wd...

may engine prob daw ang crdi troopers dito, something about the easily clogable injectors...

ung pajero, may stock damper adjustment yan,a! hard-norm-soft...baka nasa hard yan or pinalitan na ng gas shocks...

my vote is simple, the 4m40 2000 model pajero..simple, reliable, kahit di kasing powerful ng trooper, plus rounder pa kaysa sa trooper...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    sa engine mas OK ang Trooper kase isa yan sa mga pinakaunang CRDi.

kaya lang pansin ko mas mausok din ang Trooper.

IMO, mas may dating ang Pajero para sa akin.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    mag Pajero ka na lang. masyado na pang-oldies look ang Trooper.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    para bang kung 20's ka, + 30 pa joke lang sa may mga trooper....

nga pala, yang body style ng trooper na yan has been there and face lift lang pinagkaiba sa luma...parang adventure natin, new model, new face lift...classy ang dating....

as i know, nakakadalawang palit lang ang trooper kaysa sa pajero...pero ang masaklap, trooper/bighorns are discontinued units sa japan since 2003 pa ata..check ko 4x4 mag ko din...
    Last edited by alwayz_yummy; June 12th, 2006 at 05:45 PM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    yeah the trooper is sooooo old hehe

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa pajero din ako between your 2 choices....

yep mas malakas ang makina nung trooper... pero di lang naman yung lakas ng makina ang importante di ba? andyan na yung creature comfort, looks, reliability, maintenance and parts availability etc..... and para sa akin, pajero have an advantage....

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the 4JX1 engine of the trooper is troublesome, (please check some old thread about the 4JX1) but aside from that trooper has a better ride and fuel consumption against the 4m40 of the pajero,

now if i were in your shoes i would find a trooper with 4JG2 engine (1999)

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Some things to think about:
    -Pajeros are more theft prone (both when parked or while on the road)
    -Pajero OEM adjustable shocks cost a whopping Php 8K/ea. (though you can use conventional shocks in their place)
    -Makes a whole lot less power than the Trooper (125bhp vs. 160bhp)

-Trooper CRDi system is expensive to repair especially when off-warranty
    -Trooper interior is a light beige. Does not hide dirt. Also has some crude touches like the tacked-on rear a/c and 2nd row seats that require straps to keep in the folded position.
    -Looks like the box it came in

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    How much exactly does it cost to import a car to the PI? Do you have a link or something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Will buy a car soon.