New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Hello Friends,

I posted this question yesterday on the Chevy forum but got no comments yet, so here it is for all to readsorry its long)

I need a family van and need versatility of a 7 or more seater vehicle.
    I am thinking of buying either a 02 Zafira php 275K or a Venture php
    350k..what would you prefer if my concerns were reliability and costs of
    maintainance. Pls set aside gas mileage as an issue. Both cars have horror
    stories posted on this website but I am hoping that the lower acquisition cost
    will offset future problems and if I am lucky I might save in the end.
    Is the Venture really prone to the ff problems I have seen posted? How do I
    avoid them:
    1) Overheating, a top overhaul costing Php 30k +
    2) Electrical system troubles, an ECU costing Php 80k?
    3) Front wheel bearing/ axle shaft costing Php 80K?
    4) Fuel pump conk out cosing PHp 30k
    5) Suspension troubles?

Any other things to check before I buy? The unit I saw today has supposedly
    32Tkms only, seems clean, rode and drove smoothly except the engine has a
    noisy bearing noise in that the Chevy casa told the owner is normal tsk tsk.
    the owner showed me receipts for replacement of crankshaft pulley, alternator
    idle tension bearing. I saw there are 3 other tension bearings but the owner
    claims the casa said those were still ok so not to worry.
    The Zafira I saw has an indicated 26TKms, also a clean interior, (since this is
    a car dealer unit it was obviously given a thorough detailing job), nice shiny
    copper brown metallic paint ( the only one I have seen). But I doubt the
    mileage because I note the brake discs are deeply worn about the thickniess
    of a 1 peso coin. How many tkms before this level of wear is seen? I wonder.
    Can digital odometer readings be easily tampered?
    The engine has the famous tick tick sound indicative to camshaft belt and
    tensioner wear...I did not test drive the unit but the Zafira is one cute neat
    MPV....and initial cost is Php 75k less.
    But then again this saving is nothing if I had to:
    1) Replace a busted ECU - Php 65 at Thunder
    2) Replace a busted power steering electic motor and gear assy Php 100k?
    3) Shocks cost Php 8k each?
    4) Cost of Brake Discs at Thunder approx Php 7k each = 30k total
    What would be the better bet?

I find myself w/ this question after first having considered buying new innova or a carens but now think a 2nd used vehicle may save money ?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yes, digital readings can be tampered.

Busted ECUs aren't that common, but I'm not familiar with either vehicle (there was one guy who really did hate the Venture, he's at another site now...

Buying a secondhand will always cost you less money than buying a brand new vehicle, even considering the repairs. Say, you buy for 300k, then do repairs worth 100k, that's still less than the total for a new vehicle, and depreciation on the initial purchase cost is much less, overall.

But, you will spend lots of time doing those repairs if you choose the wrong vehicle, so choose wisely.

If I were you, I'd go a little higher and look at a more mainstream vehicle. It's not impossible to maintain a Venture or a Zafira, but you really have to know the right people and have a lot of patience...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

unless you know a part supplier and mechnic knows your venture or zafira, i will recomend the common jap/korean people movers like starex, l3, l4, hi-ace, urvan. trouble free ka pa..

i recomend the urvan more--TD27 is a chain-driven engine, not belt...

4. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    the zafira is one good looking mpv. however, the parts may not readily available all the time but if you know where to get it aside from casa then it shouldnt be a problem maintaining it. check the club site of opel to get more info about zafira.

www.clubopelph.com

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdude View Post
    the zafira is one good looking mpv. however, the parts may not readily available all the time but if you know where to get it aside from casa then it shouldnt be a problem maintaining it. check the club site of opel to get more info about zafira.

www.clubopelph.com
    Thanks for all your opinions, indeed I will need a lot of patience, a good mechanic and above all some 'luck".....I started the search for a 3rd vehicle with a choice of either a family carrier or a nice personal car(that's why for a while I prowled the Civic vs Mazda 3 threads). I've given up the nice personal car in favor of kids first. That said they prefer the space of a big van so the Venture fits the need. I thought the zafira a nice neat choice if only it was not bedeviled with electronics system problems. I will stnad by for a few more comments and then have to decide to take the plunge...or end up with a slightly use Innova.....surely a reliable but maybe less interesting option. But it does have very comfortable seats, though the kids cant lie flat on them.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Is the Venture really prone to the ff problems I have seen posted? How do I
    avoid them:
    1) Overheating, a top overhaul costing Php 30k +
    2) Electrical system troubles, an ECU costing Php 80k?
    3) Front wheel bearing/ axle shaft costing Php 80K?
    4) Fuel pump conk out cosing PHp 30k
    5) Suspension troubles?
    I have 75K kms on my 2002 Venture. Here are my comments:
    1. Overheating - I experienced it around 3 times. Temp did was around 3/4 but still below red line. Cause was slow turning blower/fan. Did not need to overhual. Had it fixed at the casa for 2000 pesos, ripoff for electrical problem but at least it was a permanent fix.

I pay attention to my coolant. Replace every 2 years. Dont listen to claims that it will last 5 years. Its cheap enough to replace every 2 years and make sure you mix with distilled water.

In case you buy a venture and temp goes past 1/2, switch your thermostat to heater. It helps cool the engine.

2. No electronics problem.

3. Axle and wheel bearings ok no probs.

4. Fuel pump ok.

5. Suspension - had Cruven repair my ball joints, tie rod ends and rear shocks. Its cheap and its almost a year old and still ok.

Dont buy parts from casa. I get my parts from Thunder. Price of common parts:
    Rear brake pads cost 3,500 pesos
    AC Delco oil filter 350 pesos
    AC Delco air filter 800
    AC Delco fuel filter 1,200 good for 40,000 kms
    AC Delco ATF filter and gasket 4,500 good for 80,000 kms

Oil change is done when your change oil indicator lights up. Typically anywhere from 3,500 to 12,000 kms or one year w/c ever comes first. And use 5w30 oil! Very important. My FC improved a lot after switching from 10w40 to 5w30. Engine also runs smoother.

Common prob for Venture is whistling noise from the AC. Sounds like "pooot". It comes and goes but its nothing to worry about. Never bothered to fix it and it goes away on its own.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd look at a more mainstream vehicle like the Revo, Space Gear, Serena, Crosswind, etc. I'd even consider an older Mitsu Space Wagon over the Venture if i was looking at parts and practicality.

My two cents.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    I have 75K kms on my 2002 Venture. Here are my comments:
    1. Overheating - I experienced it around 3 times. Temp did was around 3/4 but still below red line. Cause was slow turning blower/fan. Did not need to overhual. Had it fixed at the casa for 2000 pesos, ripoff for electrical problem but at least it was a permanent fix.

I pay attention to my coolant. Replace every 2 years. Dont listen to claims that it will last 5 years. Its cheap enough to replace every 2 years and make sure you mix with distilled water.

In case you buy a venture and temp goes past 1/2, switch your thermostat to heater. It helps cool the engine.

2. No electronics problem.

3. Axle and wheel bearings ok no probs.

4. Fuel pump ok.

5. Suspension - had Cruven repair my ball joints, tie rod ends and rear shocks. Its cheap and its almost a year old and still ok.

Dont buy parts from casa. I get my parts from Thunder. Price of common parts:
    Rear brake pads cost 3,500 pesos
    AC Delco oil filter 350 pesos
    AC Delco air filter 800
    AC Delco fuel filter 1,200 good for 40,000 kms
    AC Delco ATF filter and gasket 4,500 good for 80,000 kms

Oil change is done when your change oil indicator lights up. Typically anywhere from 3,500 to 12,000 kms or one year w/c ever comes first. And use 5w30 oil! Very important. My FC improved a lot after switching from 10w40 to 5w30. Engine also runs smoother.

Common prob for Venture is whistling noise from the AC. Sounds like "pooot". It comes and goes but its nothing to worry about. Never bothered to fix it and it goes away on its own.
    Hello Userfriendly: Thanks for your detailed comments, its a great help. The owner of a Venture with only 32tkms says worst case he got 4kms/liter, average of 5 kms/liter and best of 6 kms/liter city driving.

What mileage did you get after using the lighter engine oil?

What fix did the casa do for the slow turning radiator fan? Was it a loose connection only>?

I appreciate the reliability of Japanese cars but I am much attracted by the huge people carrying space of this car and low purchase price relative to age of the car.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cbcnestormn View Post
    I appreciate the reliability of Japanese cars but I am much attracted by the huge people carrying space of this car and low purchase price relative to age of the car.
    There's a reason for the low 2nd hand purchase price... i don't know for what reason but i have two acquaintances who've owned one and the last time i saw their garages they already disposed their Ventures (and coincidentally both got a 2nd hand Starex in exchange). My main discomfort in owning a Venture is the experience MBT had with his before... sa Podium pa lang and the car conked out and he had no support from the CASA to have it towed to their shop... what the more if this happens while you're on an out of town trip?

But if you feel you can live with that, you know where to get parts and service, and you're confident on driving the van out on long trips without encountering problems then it's a good deal indeed since i see 2 year old units selling for as low as 350 to 400K. If not... why not look at a Starex as well? Space, comfort, more parts and service knowledge...
    Last edited by vinj; November 29th, 2007 at 09:48 AM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i actually have no knowledge of the 2 vehicles you've mentioned and they weren't on my short list when i thought of buying a family car. how about a 2nd hand kia carnival? it's big, looks nice inside and out and comes with a diesel engine. anyway, good luck on your choice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
What Family MPV - Venture or Zafira